Search Unity

Oculus Desktop launching every time I build

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Deleted User, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi have an Oculus Quest constantly cabled to my notebook. Everytime I build the Oculus Desktop app launches. Can this be avoided?

2. AlexWilson19

AlexWilson19

I tried to find information about this, but I didn’t find it. When working with the oculus, I have the same problem.

3. harleydk

harleydk

Do you have this setting enabled?

4. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Why would you want to avoid this? We just minimize it once and then ignore it / leave it running all day.

(you need it running to access anything to do with the Quest - that is Oculus's design, the "desktop app" actually contains a lot of the device driver stuff, and it has always been like this for the last 5 years, since first Oculus Rift)

You should be able to make a build without it, but you won't be able to run that build or debug it via cable without the Desktop app. The desktop app is providing the Oculus Link capability.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

@harleydk yes, otherwise the build does not work on the quest
    @a436t4ataf The Desktop app has never been required for debugging the Quest, it worked before Link was a thing and I think Link is the reason for launching it. I always have the Quest plugged in in all day so it's fully loaded all the time.
    And I would want to avoid it because it's annoying. Of course I can minimize and forget about it every day, but that's one more to ignore in the world of ignoring things that do not work as expected or in this case as previously working, giving you headaches at the point when your development cycle consists of ignoring.

6. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

I meant: debug in-editor via cable, as opposed to running an APK build on the device, running that, and debugging via ADB. I didn't know that was possible without Desktop - I've only ever seen Desktop popup (last 3 months of Quest development), but that didnt' surprise because it had previously always been required for Rift development, so I didn't question it.

I guess you want Link to be a pure background service instead? Personally, I find it convenient that starting/stopping the Desktop means I don't have to keep manually starting/stopping windows services all day (like we did with the early Rifts). But it has always been a core requirement for Oculus headsets, so I doubt they'd let you turn it off now.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

@a436t4ataf yes it is cool if it wasn't for Android native features that you cannot run on the desktop ;)