Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Feedback Oculus and/or Viveport support

Discussion in 'Authentication' started by andorfy, Dec 1, 2021.

1. andorfy

andorfy

Hi,

We are working on a crossplatform VR project. Our game is currently released in Steam, Oculus Store, Quest and Viveport, and I'm working on IAP to let the players buy different skins, levels, etc.

It would be a big help for us, if we could use not only Steam but the other services to authenticate the players, and use the Economy service, without the need to add Facebook.

2. avnishb_unity

avnishb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Andorfy! Thanks for reaching out. We are planning to support Oculus sign-in in late Q1/early Q2. What's your timeline for releasing your VR project?

Our team created a beta survey for our Authentication product (to understand what's working well, what's missing, etc). If you have a moment, we would love to get your feedback. We're using feedback/questions like yours to help prioritize and guide our 2022 plans. Let us know if there are other sign-in providers that you would find useful in your projects.

3. andorfy

andorfy

Hi Avnishb,

I filled the beta survey now.

Our game is already published, but we want to publish an update where players can buy stuff. Our plan is to release this update before Christmas, so late Q1 is too late for us.

daisyd_unity and SebT_Unity like this.
  4. stephen_mor

stephen_mor

Hi there. Quick follow up, is the Q1/Q2 timeline for Oculus support still on track? We had initially wondered if we could use Facebook for that side of things, but I think it's a slightly different system.

5. daisyd_unity

daisyd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Stephen, thanks for circling back. Yes, we have Oculus support in roadmap towards the end of Q2. Will this work for your timeline?

DavidZobrist likes this.
  6. stephen_mor

stephen_mor

That should work on our end. This is more a future-facing thing for an existing VR application.

We'd also be interested in Viveport if that ever became available.

daisyd_unity likes this.
  7. Holocafe_Oliver

Holocafe_Oliver

I know it's not the end of Q2 yet. I just wanted to drop a note that we are also interested in Oculus support :) If End of Q2 means end of June, then it should work for our timeline. Though we'd like to get this up and running as soon as possible :) Thank you

8. chengg_unity

chengg_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello all,

Thank you for reaching out to us! I have some updates on the Oculus support.

Due to other priorities and initiatives, we had to delay the rollout of Oculus support. I am sorry for this delay and the inconveniences this might have caused. Please rest assured that Oculus support is still one of the top items on our roadmap. We are aiming to support Oculus by the end of Q3.

On a separate note, we are working on Bring Your Own Identity (BYOI) to allow you to integrate your authentication solutions like (Firebase, Cognito or other OpenID authentication systems) with Unity Authentication. Stay tuned for more info in the coming weeks!

I will follow up again as soon as we have a better timeline on Oculus support.

Cheers,
    Cheng

DavidZobrist likes this.
  9. Holocafe_Oliver

Holocafe_Oliver

Unfortunate news.
    Would this BYOI allow us to implement Oculus ourselves?

But this probably means that we have to switch to a native implementation for auth, economy and IAPs because our timelines sadly don't match up.

10. chengg_unity

chengg_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone,

Authentication now supports Oculus! Please refer to this post for more details.