Search Unity

Octave3D-Level Design - Snapping, Prop placement, Multi-Prefab painting

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by XGT08, Aug 10, 2016.

?

Do you prefer written documentation or video tutorials? (regarding the Octave3D remake)

Poll closed Jun 10, 2023.
  1. Written documentation

68.8%
  2. Video tutorials

31.3%
  1. tieum67

tieum67

great ! i just sent you an email

2. XGT08

XGT08

Thanks for letting me know. I have sent you an e-mail with the updated pack.

3. b4gn0

b4gn0

Hello @XGT08 ,

We extensively use prefabs and prefab variants as "grouping" for several areas.
    Unfortunately we can't seem to use Octave3D to add other prefabs (like trees) inside the currently opened prefab.

Is there some kind of workflow we are missing?

Thank you

4. Xanisko

Xanisko

Not sure if you tried this or you mean something else but...
    Right click on prefab, unpack, right click again - there is octave setting - set octave group... it will make new group in octave and you can add stuff and it will directly go in that prefab

XGT08 likes this.
  5. XGT08

XGT08

Hey there,

I answered you via e-mail.

Cheers,
    Andrew

6. Damjan-Mozetic

Damjan-Mozetic

Hello there,

I've been using O3D for a while now and I love the package. The issue I seem to constantly run into lately though, is Octave "forgetting" the object group I set it to use. I already have a sizeable game area built with prefabs and I'd like to continue working on it using Octave. I can't seem to find an exact procedure to trigger the issue, but basically, what I do, is:
    1. Create a new game object to which I add the Octave 3d World Builder script
    2. Select the game object that is the parent of the existing level meshes, and set "Make group"
    3. Add existing prefabs by dragging them in the Prefab Management window.
    4. Edit the level using Octave, and somewhere when I try to delete a level object (shortcut D) the whole level gets deleted. When I check the Octave inspector, I see that "No object groups are currently available".
    5. Repeating step 2 seems to fix the issue temporarily.
    Any insight on what could be the issue? I run Unity 2019.4.17f1 on Mac OS.

7. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting me.

I am not sure I have understood properly, so let me see if I got it right.
    You create an object group and place prefabs in the scene under this object. Then, you select one of the prefabs in the scene, and press D to delete and all the objects in the group as well as the group itself gets deleted. Is this correct?

Cheers,
    Andrew

8. Damjan-Mozetic

Damjan-Mozetic

I think i found the issue here. I might have clicked another (hidden) object that was placed in front of the prefab I wanted deleted, so in this case it deleted everything in the hierarchy. In the object erase tool I have masked everything but the layer I work on, which seems to have solved the issue.

I will report more details if I encounter the issue again. Thanks for your time Andrew.

9. XGT08

XGT08

Sure thing, no problem. Thanks for letting me know :)

10. NEPS

NEPS

Here is my question: Package works OK, but I am having problems with the grid. I am using terrains and am painting on that.. how to snap the grid back to place (flat) on terrain? I try and reset/allign but does not work, just going crazy, on it's side, flat, etc.. sure is a setting and sorry for the basic question..

11. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

If you wish to reset the grid offset back to zero, you can use the Snap grid Y offset field in the Snap settings UI.
    Grid.png

You can reset it to 0 or any other custom value you wish to have.

Cheers,
    Andrew

12. Sapien_

Sapien_

Hey there. Sorry if this is a repeated question but every so often Octave3D keeps switching to object selection whenever I press shortcut keys or alt and click. I'm clicking on the scene window to make sure before I do anything but it doesn't work. Every so often after faffing around, I can get it working again, but I don't know how I did it.

Sir-G likes this.
  13. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting me.

Are you sure you are using the latest version? I remember fixing similar issues in recent updates.

Cheers,
    Andrew

14. Sapien_

Sapien_

Yes I believe so. Is 2.4.3.1 the latest version?
    In the mean time I am going to work on level design with this asset today, and see if there is something I am forgetting or doing wrong.

Yeah I thought it was because I needed to refresh the scene but its not.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  15. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. There most likely is a bug here. I will start looking into this tomorrow and get back to you as soon as I have an update.

Cheers,
    Andrew

16. XGT08

XGT08

@Sapien_

Hi there,

Can you please describe again in more detail the reproduction steps for the error you are encountering. For example, what are the hotkeys that are causing trouble?

Thanks,
    Andrew

17. Sir-G

Sir-G

For some reason at some point it becomes impossible to place objects because when you click to place anything the grid disappears and the game object with the "Octave 3D World Builder" attached is deselected. Is there any reason this would be happening?

Thanks I love this plugin!

18. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting me about this.

Sounds like a bug to me. Can you please tell me how to reproduce this? Is there any key on your keyboard that is pressed when this is happening?

Thanks,
    Andrew

19. Sir-G

Sir-G

Nope it just randomly happens and then it won't refocus and let you start placing again. You have to start a new scene from scratch.
    I simply created the World GameObject like you did the in the video, attached the script, created the prefabs and started to place.

20. XGT08

XGT08

Ok. Thanks for letting me know. I will look into this and get back to you when I have an update.

Sir-G likes this.
  21. Sir-G

Sir-G

Thank you! Really love this plugin and it's killing me I cant use it atm. I look forward to hearing back from you!

22. Sir-G

Sir-G

If it helps this seems very similar to what I am describing above in my previous post. If this helps any.

Sapien_ likes this.
  23. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

I have tried reproducing this issue but no matter how much I try, I can not get it to behave that way. Would you agree to a skype session? I would like to see the behaviour first-hand, maybe it will help me figure out what is going on there.

Thanks,
    Andrew

24. Sir-G

Sir-G

Sure I am EST USA. I can be free later today.

25. Sir-G

Sir-G

I also have discord.

26. XGT08

XGT08

I do not Discord unfortunately. I would prefer skype for the moment. Please feel free to contact me on Skype. My Id is octavian.modrea

27. Sapien_

Sapien_

Thank you, I'll check it out. Sorry @XGT08 I didn't reply I was busy with other things.

Edit: After looking I think that may be how I did it but I didn't start a new scene, just used another empty object. But Again when I get round to it I'll get back to you.

28. Sir-G

Sir-G

@XGT08 IDK if this helps but this pops up in the console when it happens:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    O3DWB.ObjectSelectionActionsView.RenderContent () (at Assets/Resources/Plugins/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Inspector GUI/Views/Actions Views/Object Selection/ObjectSelectionActionsView.cs:82)
    O3DWB.GUIRenderableContent.RenderNoIndent () (at Assets/Resources/Plugins/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Inspector GUI/GUIRenderableContent.cs:85)
    O3DWB.GUIRenderableContent.RenderGUIContent () (at Assets/Resources/Plugins/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Inspector GUI/GUIRenderableContent.cs:68)
    O3DWB.GUIRenderableContent.Render () (at Assets/Resources/Plugins/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Inspector GUI/GUIRenderableContent.cs:40)
    O3DWB.ObjectSelectionInspectorGUI.Render () (at Assets/Resources/Plugins/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Inspector GUI/Inspector GUIs/ObjectSelectionInspectorGUI.cs:82)
    O3DWB.Inspector.Render () (at Assets/Resources/Plugins/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Inspector GUI/Inspector.cs:83)
    O3DWB.Octave3DWorldBuilderInspectorGUI.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Resources/Plugins/Octave3D World Builder/Editor/Scripts/Octave3DWorldBuilderInspectorGUI.cs:67)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass58_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <d3ff43e972b043d1b3f49905ec5da738>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

I will contact you on skype later today!

29. XGT08

XGT08

Ok. Thanks for letting me know!

30. Sir-G

Sir-G

Also here is a link of a video showing what is going on too

31. XGT08

XGT08

HI there,

I will look into ti. I think the errors that you showed me will be very helpful.

Cheers,
    Andrew

32. XGT08

XGT08

@Sir-G

Hi there,

I have investigated the error messages and I have one question. Did this problem occur after you created any object groups and/or maybe deleted any of them?

EDIT: Can you please also tell me what Unity version you are using?

Cheers,
    Andrew

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  33. Sir-G

Sir-G

It is possible but I don't remember specifically doing so.

I am running 2019.4.9f1

Thanks

34. XGT08

XGT08

Ok. Thanks!

Can you try something for me please? Can you hold down the ALT key while holding the left mouse button down? (rotate the camera). Then release the ALT key and check if the placement works.

I am sorry this is taking so long, but I just can not find the source of the problem.

Sir-G likes this.
  35. Sir-G

Sir-G

Oddly that worked! Holy Moley!

XGT08 likes this.
  36. XGT08

XGT08

I am honestly glad to hear that. Still seems like a bug though. So I will have to look into it. Funny thing is that I remember fixing 1 or 2 bugs related to the ALT key.

Thanks for letting me know :)

37. Sir-G

Sir-G

No Problem! Thanks for the timely support!

Alt keys and Ctrl keys are always tricky I have found in programming because of how much they are used system wide. We had a bug years ago in a billing system that if you pressed Alt on the payment screen it tried to run the transaction even if the details were not in there and the Alt key was needed for like 3 functions to take payment so needless to say it was a PITA and it took us 6 months to figure out what was finally actually the root of the issue.

XGT08 likes this.
  38. taoleaf

taoleaf

Heyo,

I'm having some issues with Octave3d on Unity 2019.4.18 Mac Os Catalina 10.15.7. In trying to paint objects on the terrain using decor paint mode, the objects are sometimes successfully spawned in the right place/orientation, but when hovering the mouse, the object seems stuck along some random XZ position and moves up and down along the Y axis. I'm attaching a video to show what I mean. This makes it very difficult to work with, as I cannot see the object on the terrain/other objects before placing them. I don't think this is the intended behavior. Please help. It seems it might work properly after reopening the project, but when I hit the shift key and start to move around the scene with WASD it messes up. Perhaps it's a hotkey conflict. But regardless, once this happens no matter what I do (exiting/entering octave) the objects seem stuck along that same axis.

Thank you.

39. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

I see that there are some error messages being registered in the console. Can you show me a screenshot of the errors please?

40. taoleaf

taoleaf

The console error is from a conflict between a couple other assets I use -- Game Creator and uModeler. Screenshot included so you can see. No other console errors exist.

It seems that things work ok until I move the camera. I often navigate the scene holding shift to accelerate camera movement. As soon as I do this, Octave3d is thrown off and will not return to normal functionality. unless I close and reopen the project. Seems to happen in point and click mode as well.

Attached Files:

41. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

Thanks for sending the screenshot.

From looking at the errors, it seems that these are being generated by GameCreator. I do not see any errors coming from Octave3D in the image you sent to me.

Octave3D needs to block certain key events and mouse button pressed events in order to work correctly. This could be a cause, but it's not something that I can change.

42. taoleaf

taoleaf

Do you have any ideas of workarounds? I'd really like to work with Octave, features seem great, but this is a bug that renders it unusable...

Since it seems to be something regarding interference of using the shift key to accelerate the camera, I would change the camera accelerator key if I knew how. Trying to figure out a workaround. Is this a mac only problem?

43. XGT08

XGT08

I will check to see if I can do something but as I said, I don't see Octave3D being mentioned in the error list. As far as I can tell, it is not a bug in Octave. Try using the pack, aside from other assets and it should work without issue.

I do not have access to a Mac, but I do remember talking to other users who were using it on Mac. They did encounter small issues that have been fixed since then so it should work now.

Regarding changing the camera acceleration hotkey, you can always try the Shortcuts Manager window in Unity and changing the accelerator from there. I am not sure if it has an entry in that list, but it should. Hopefully it will work.

44. taoleaf

taoleaf

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 12.30.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 12.29.45 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 12.32.12 PM.png
    Ok, so I've installed Octave on a fresh project, and these are some of the errors I'm getting. Fortunately the problem I was having earlier are not showing up as frequently. Perhaps this will be helpful. I'm enjoying Octave, it's very fun to use.

45. XGT08

XGT08

I am trying to reproduce this but it seems to work in my case. So I am using Single Decor Paint mode with Align to stroke checked. I assume this is what you are using too based on the errors.

Can you show me a screenshot of the prefab you are working with?

EDIT: If you have the rights to share the prefab, that would be even better because I can actually test it in action.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  46. docsavage

docsavage

@XGT08 - Thanks for keeping up the support with this top notch asset. Really useful and well done tool with years of support now when so many asset store devs just drop their customers so easily. Thanks.

XGT08 likes this.
  47. XGT08

XGT08

Thank you very much for the kind words :)

docsavage likes this.
  48. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @XGT08,

Not sure how I have not seen this asset before but just saw it in this month's sale. Very interested in especially the brush tool.

Have been in need of a prefab brush painter for Unity. Others I have tried are quite painful to use between confusing UI and lag when painting. All the videos I see for Octave3D's brush tool are from 2016. So I am wondering if anything changed with it or does it use the same Brush preset setting like in those original videos? Definitely stands out with the brush settings saves that have the prefabs setup for each.

Also, if you have tested it with other types of assets, how does it perform with standard poly assets? Thinking of using it for detailing scenes with small & medium scan objects like gravel, sticks & leaves.

Thank you for your time!

Edit- Also does it work in Unity 2018? If not do you have an older version that you would be able to send that does?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    XGT08 likes this.
  49. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

There haven't been too many changes regarding the brush. It's basically the same. I think I must have added 1 or 2 additional fields since the video was recorded.

Regarding assets, I designed it so that it should be as generic as possible. By this I mean there aren't any restrictions regarding the models. But I have to admit, I am not sure what you mean by standard poly assets :)

I do not have a version for Unity 2018. I think it could work, but I wouldn't go back to 2018.

Cheers,
    Andrew

50. animal531

animal531

Hi,

I'm trying to remove/edit categories, but no longer see the Actions group (as in the old tutorials from 2016). Where are they in the newest version?

Thanks,