Search Unity

Octave3D-Level Design - Snapping, Prop placement, Multi-Prefab painting

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by XGT08, Aug 10, 2016.

1. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

I am not sure what you mean. I would have to see a screenshot or even better, a small recording to see what is going on.

2. vexiphne

vexiphne

Actually, If i would just exercise some patience, I wouldn't have had to bother you. Small checkbox needed unchecking in one of the menus and it solved the issue ;) I just glazed over it with all the other functionality to look at!

Thank you for making such a great tool ;)

XGT08 likes this.
  3. XGT08

XGT08

No problem. Happy to hear it was sorted out :)

4. transat

transat

Is there any way to do mass auto-placement of objects on the terrain based on simple rules such as terrain height, slope? I’d love a way to quickly lay down my grass meshes on all relevant flat bits of the terrain, small rocks in concave areas, etc.

5. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

Aside from the brush tool, there is no other mass placement tool for terrain population. The brush tool does have a terrain slope parameter which can be controlled for each prefab individually.

6. clintonholder

clintonholder

Is there any way to rotate the grid in point and click mode? How can you so align with objects that are not that same orientation of default X and Y? For instance, I have a terrain and many objects already in the scene but I cannot create a new area if it doesn't align with default X and Y?

7. XGT08

XGT08

You can change the grid rotation in the Inspector:

GridRotation.png

clintonholder likes this.
  8. Xanisko

Xanisko

Hi, i am using octave3d, just learning, but i am enjoying. I came across a problem i couldn't solve. I was using prefab manager as you show in tutorial - i draged preb folders from assets and was using them, build some stuff with that with no problem. Got some time a break, returned and when i wanted to add new prefabs to manager, or clear it and make new, it jsut stopped working. As in the image - i just drag folder with prefabs and it just get stuck with full loading window, but no prefabs were loaded in manager. Tried restarting unity, reimporting octave, reinstalled unity, still the same effect. Any idea?

Attached Files:

9. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

In the image I can see you are trying to import model assets. That is fbx models. Those are not prefabs. They are model assets. This is why no prefabs are added. Usually, there is a Prefabs folder associated with model packs. That is the folder that you should be working with.

10. Xanisko

Xanisko

thanks for kick in the head, i was in meshes folder....i could name some excuses, but I will summ it as: I am an idiot :D

11. XGT08

XGT08

No problem :) These things can get confusing sometimes. No need to be hard on yourself ;)

12. Xanisko

Xanisko

Well one more, maybe stupid, question. Is there a way to snap/align grid to already placed object? Not all prefabs are the same size, and for example i was builsing stairs, walls to them and floor, i found that the floor doesnt align with that stairs and walls for a little bit, so i moved it manualy for that little inch, but when i want to continue, grid is a bit off but near floor object, so its hard to place next object becasue its snaping to floor or grid, because its too close each other, but i want to continue to use grid and not object snaping.
    So best would be to snap grid to object i chose.
    Tried looking, dodnt find a way, maybe i am blind and overlooked it in hotkey documentation.
    Any help?
    Sry if its trivial, i am just busy father with more time to post here via cellphone than sit at unity and finding myself the hard way

13. XGT08

XGT08

You can't align the grid. But I think in your case, object to object snapping should solve the issue:

14. zIyaGtVm

zIyaGtVm

hi, when using scale shortcut to scale my prefab(which is (1,1,1)) i get a precision problem just as the picture below. (My step snap is 0.5)
    I'm afraid will this cause some potential problem? Or how could I make a interger scale?Thanks.
    23.png

15. transat

transat

Is there a way to place a house prefab on a hill and have the base of the prefab flatten the terrain?

16. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting me.

Currently this feature is not available. I can not commit as to when it will be available, but I will try to make it available in the future.

transat likes this.
unityunity