Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Octave3D-Level Design - Snapping, Prop placement, Multi-Prefab painting

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by XGT08, Aug 10, 2016.

?

Do you prefer written documentation or video tutorials? (regarding the Octave3D remake)

Poll closed Jun 10, 2023.
  1. Written documentation

68.8%
  2. Video tutorials

31.3%
  1. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

I am not sure what you mean. I would have to see a screenshot or even better, a small recording to see what is going on.

2. vexiphne

vexiphne

Actually, If i would just exercise some patience, I wouldn't have had to bother you. Small checkbox needed unchecking in one of the menus and it solved the issue ;) I just glazed over it with all the other functionality to look at!

Thank you for making such a great tool ;)

XGT08 likes this.
  3. XGT08

XGT08

No problem. Happy to hear it was sorted out :)

4. transat

transat

Is there any way to do mass auto-placement of objects on the terrain based on simple rules such as terrain height, slope? I’d love a way to quickly lay down my grass meshes on all relevant flat bits of the terrain, small rocks in concave areas, etc.

5. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

Aside from the brush tool, there is no other mass placement tool for terrain population. The brush tool does have a terrain slope parameter which can be controlled for each prefab individually.

6. clintonholder

clintonholder

Is there any way to rotate the grid in point and click mode? How can you so align with objects that are not that same orientation of default X and Y? For instance, I have a terrain and many objects already in the scene but I cannot create a new area if it doesn't align with default X and Y?

7. XGT08

XGT08

You can change the grid rotation in the Inspector:

GridRotation.png

clintonholder likes this.
  8. Xanisko

Xanisko

Hi, i am using octave3d, just learning, but i am enjoying. I came across a problem i couldn't solve. I was using prefab manager as you show in tutorial - i draged preb folders from assets and was using them, build some stuff with that with no problem. Got some time a break, returned and when i wanted to add new prefabs to manager, or clear it and make new, it jsut stopped working. As in the image - i just drag folder with prefabs and it just get stuck with full loading window, but no prefabs were loaded in manager. Tried restarting unity, reimporting octave, reinstalled unity, still the same effect. Any idea?

Attached Files:

9. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

In the image I can see you are trying to import model assets. That is fbx models. Those are not prefabs. They are model assets. This is why no prefabs are added. Usually, there is a Prefabs folder associated with model packs. That is the folder that you should be working with.

10. Xanisko

Xanisko

thanks for kick in the head, i was in meshes folder....i could name some excuses, but I will summ it as: I am an idiot :D

11. XGT08

XGT08

No problem :) These things can get confusing sometimes. No need to be hard on yourself ;)

12. Xanisko

Xanisko

Well one more, maybe stupid, question. Is there a way to snap/align grid to already placed object? Not all prefabs are the same size, and for example i was builsing stairs, walls to them and floor, i found that the floor doesnt align with that stairs and walls for a little bit, so i moved it manualy for that little inch, but when i want to continue, grid is a bit off but near floor object, so its hard to place next object becasue its snaping to floor or grid, because its too close each other, but i want to continue to use grid and not object snaping.
    So best would be to snap grid to object i chose.
    Tried looking, dodnt find a way, maybe i am blind and overlooked it in hotkey documentation.
    Any help?
    Sry if its trivial, i am just busy father with more time to post here via cellphone than sit at unity and finding myself the hard way

13. XGT08

XGT08

You can't align the grid. But I think in your case, object to object snapping should solve the issue:

14. zIyaGtVm

zIyaGtVm

hi, when using scale shortcut to scale my prefab(which is (1,1,1)) i get a precision problem just as the picture below. (My step snap is 0.5)
    I'm afraid will this cause some potential problem? Or how could I make a interger scale?Thanks.
    23.png

15. transat

transat

Is there a way to place a house prefab on a hill and have the base of the prefab flatten the terrain?

16. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting me.

Currently this feature is not available. I can not commit as to when it will be available, but I will try to make it available in the future.

transat likes this.
  17. indie_dev85

indie_dev85

I have got jagged edged tile blocks while placing them in block mode the prefabs are stacked edge to edge not in sync with grid thereby leaving gapes between them.

Is it possible for the Block mode to strictly place prefabs snapped to grid just like in case of point & click mode.

Thanks.

18. Jugibur

Jugibur

Hello,
    I'm new to Unity + Octave3D and wondering why after replacement of a Prefab the new one is half height offset heigher.
    It happens with all prefabs in the scene.
    Screenshot-replacing-prefab.jpg

Another offset happens after using Block tool.
    The Preview show the correct position, but after clicking the Prefabs place heigher (exactly the height of the objects)
    Screenshot-after-placing-prefab.jpg

Thanks for any hint.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  19. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

The Block mode works the same as Point and Click as far as snapping is concerned. You need to pay attention where the object lies on the grid before pressing the left mouse button. So if you can use the Point and Click mode, Block mode works the same way snapping wise.

Cheers,
    Andrew

20. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

I'm not sure what that is. Would it be possible to send me a .package file with the models that are causing problems?

21. indie_dev85

indie_dev85

Please check the PM send.

22. ash4640

ash4640

Hi I'm having some issues with the editor recently
    - I created few objects then exit the editing mode (world) and go into a different scene then load back in the current scene, where I have an Ocate3D world object and start going the world and select object selection or object placement I can't select any already placed objects or place new objects. Now the World objects seletacble from Heirarcy but cant place any objects in scene. I had to restart project to work again.
    - Also I got an error when I placed few objects then came out of the world objects election and went into heirarchy and directly selected the objects placed via octave and deleted them, then when I came back to Octave it threw some errors, did note them.
    URP project
    Other packages in the project
    Odin
    Bolt
    Amplify Shader
    Node canvas
    Polaris - Polaris 2, Jupiter, Posideon
    Some Synty packs (that I use Ocatve for placing) and some projectile packs
    Attched the screenshot for the first error

Attached Files:

23. boysenberry

boysenberry

First thing I would suggest (because it happened to me) is to make sure gizmos are turned on. It won't work without that on.

ash4640 likes this.
  24. ash4640

ash4640

OK thanks Yes i did turn on the Gizmos, it works fine until restart then it just crashes.
    Then I need open the project again quickly delete the world (with octave 3D component attached) then resume to project then I add a new game object with the Octave 3D component attached.
    Also I get these warnings when I use with Unity 2019.3.5
    - Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\MeshColliderExtensions.cs(13,13): warning CS0618: 'MeshCollider.inflateMesh' is obsolete: 'MeshCollider.inflateMesh is no longer supported. The new cooking algorithm doesn't need inflation to be used.'
    - Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\MeshColliderExtensions.cs(14,13): warning CS0618: 'MeshCollider.skinWidth' is obsolete: 'MeshCollider.skinWidth is no longer used.'
    - Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\GameObjectExtensions.cs(14,13): warning CS0618: 'PrefabType' is obsolete: 'PrefabType no longer tells everything about Prefab instance.'
    - Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Actions And Queries\Objects\ObjectActions.cs(66,39): warning CS0618: 'PrefabUtility.GetPrefabType(Object)' is obsolete: 'Use GetPrefabAssetType and GetPrefabInstanceStatus to get the full picture about Prefab types.'
    When I convert the PrefabType to GetPrefabAssetType - I get the following Errors
    - Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Assets\Prefabs\PrefabValidator.cs(15,17): error CS0019: Operator '!=' cannot be applied to operands of type 'PrefabAssetType' and 'PrefabType'
    - Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Assets\ProjectAssetDatabase.cs(54,73): error CS1503: Argument 1: cannot convert from 'string' to 'UnityEngine.GameObject'
    - Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Assets\ProjectAssetDatabase.cs(54,89): error CS1503: Argument 2: cannot convert from 'UnityEngine.GameObject' to 'string'
    Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\GameObjectExtensions.cs(14,37): error CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert type 'UnityEditor.PrefabAssetType' to 'UnityEditor.PrefabType'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)

Literally the plugin has become unusable for some reason now, cause except for Ocatave#D I just have Amplify shader and Odin serializer in the project now, So I removed the Octave3D then the Scene does work fine.
    Please correct these script errors so I can work with unity 2019.3.5 without many hassles. This was working fine in Unity 2018, now looks like I can't use it for LD with new Unity anymore. Unless fixed I have look for a different Asset to do LD :(

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  25. funselektor

funselektor

Got a crash when selecting the Octave gameobject in a scene

upload_2020-4-17_11-52-15.png

26. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Do you mean that you selected the Octave3D game object using the hierarchy view?

27. funselektor

funselektor

Yes

28. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Hi, first off, let me say that Octave3D is easily one of the best assets i have purchased. Really great.

I am using it on a mac and having some issues with some hotkeys. Is there maybe a mac os hotkey guide ?

For example, the hotkey guide mentions pressing delete for removing a prefab from the scene, but when i am trying that the prefab instead rotates (in object selection mode)

Also, in the object erase tool, is there a way to select a rectangular or acanonical shape of objects ? Seems to be using a brush deletion or single prefab deletion, which can be impossible to navigate in some situations.

Thanks for the help ! I am definitely having fun learning the tool !

29. XGT08

XGT08

I've sent you a PM with an updated pack. I am not sure if it fixes your specific issue since I could not reproduce it in my case. I did make some changes to that module in order to fix another bug. Hopefully, it fixes your issue too.

30. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

I am happy to hear you like the tool.

The hotkeys should work the same for MAC and Windows. I imagine the Delete key is the same. I don't think there should be any difference. I don't know how I can test that since I don't have access to MAC. Maybe we can try out a different key that will work on MAC. If you have any preference for a specific key, let me know. I will implement it, and then maybe you can test to see if it works on MAC.

Regarding object erase, those are the only tools available. For more precise deleting, object selection + Delete should be used, but as I understand this doesn't work in your case. Let's hope we can make it work somehow.

Cheers,
    Andrew

31. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Yes object selection and delete would be what i would likely use, which is absolutely fine. But i have no idea why i can't delete lol. My only guess is that there may be a conflict with another asset (I do have quite a lot). I even tried command+delete which is typical for a mac. What i can probably do is maybe look into the delete hotkey source code and add some debug logs to see what is going on, and maybe change that key from the script if it doesn't work. Would it be possible to point me to the source file that handles that event ? Thanks !

32. XGT08

XGT08

Sure. Find the AllShortcutCombos.cs file (Octave3D/Scripts/Input/ShortcutCombos). Then, inside the CreateCombos function, scroll down to line 548 until you come across the following 2 lines of code:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. _deleteSelectedObjects = CreateShortcutComboForObjectSelection();
    3. _deleteSelectedObjects.AddKey(KeyCode.Delete);
    You need to replace KeyCode.Delete with something else of your choosing. But let me know if you need any more help.

33. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Thanks a lot !

So I tried switching it with G, which is the key used for the action right below this one and it worked :O

I have no idea why this is happening, maybe the delete hotkey is defined differently on a mac, I will look it up next.

Worth noting that even though it's working with G, I am still getting an interesting exception (not breaking anything, but it seems like it's attempting to access the object after it deletes it):

[Exception] MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'GameObject' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    GameObjectExtensions.GetAllChildren() at /Standard /Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Extensions/GameObjectExtensions.cs:754
    752: public static List<GameObject> GetAllChildren(this GameObject gameObject)
    753: {
    -->754: Transform objectTransform = gameObject.transform;
    755: Transform[] allChildTransforms = gameObject.GetComponentsInChildren<Transform>(true);

GameObjectExtensions.GetAllChildrenIncludingSelf() at /Standard /Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Extensions/GameObjectExtensions.cs:746
    744: var finalObjectList = new List<GameObject> { gameObject };
    -->746: List<GameObject> allChildren = gameObject.GetAllChildren();
    747: if (allChildren.Count != 0) finalObjectList.AddRange(allChildren);

ObjectQueries.IsGameObjectHierarchyEmpty() at /Standard /Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Actions And Queries/Objects/ObjectQueries.cs:65
    63: public static bool IsGameObjectHierarchyEmpty(GameObject rootObject)
    64: {
    -->65: List<GameObject> allObjectsInHierarchy = rootObject.GetAllChildrenIncludingSelf();
    66: foreach(GameObject gameObject in allObjectsInHierarchy)
    67: {

ObjectErase.EraseGameObject() at /Standard /Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Objects/Object Eraser/ObjectErase.cs:65
    63: foreach(GameObject child in immediateChildren)
    64: {
    -->65: if (ObjectQueries.IsGameObjectHierarchyEmpty(child)) DestroyGameObject(child, eraserSettings.AllowUndoRedo);
    66: }
    67: }

ObjectErase.EraseGameObjectCollection() at /Standard /Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Objects/Object Eraser/ObjectErase.cs:14
    12: List<GameObject> objectsToErase = GetGameObjectsWhichCanBeErased(gameObjectsToErase);
    13: PrepareGameObjectCollectionForEraseOperation(objectsToErase);
    -->14: foreach (GameObject gameObject in objectsToErase) EraseGameObject(gameObject);
    15: }

ObjectActions.EraseAllSelectedGameObjects() at /Standard /Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Actions And Queries/Objects/ObjectActions.cs:149
    147: public static void EraseAllSelectedGameObjects()
    148: {
    -->149: ObjectErase.EraseGameObjectCollection(ObjectSelection.Get().GetAllSelectedGameObjects());
    150: }

ObjectSelection.HandleKeyboardButtonDownEvent() at /Standard /Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Objects/Object Selection/ObjectSelection.cs:562
    560: {
    561: UndoEx.RecordForToolAction(this);
    -->562: ObjectActions.EraseAllSelectedGameObjects();
    563: }
    564: else

ObjectSelectionSceneViewEventHandler.HandleKeyboardButtonDownEvent() at /Standard /Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Scene/Scene Event Handling/ObjectSelectionSceneViewEventHandler.cs:76
    74: base.HandleKeyboardButtonDownEvent(e);
    -->76: ObjectSelection.Get().HandleKeyboardButtonDownEvent(e);
    77: }

SceneViewEventHandler.HandleSceneViewEvent() at /Standard /Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Scene/Scene Event Handling/SceneViewEventHandler.cs:86
    84: }
    -->86: HandleKeyboardButtonDownEvent(e);
    87: break;

Octave3DWorldBuilderInspectorGUI.OnSceneGUI() at /Standard /Editor/Octave3D World Builder/Editor/Scripts/Octave3DWorldBuilderInspectorGUI.cs:50
    49: var sceneViewEventHandler = SceneViewEventHandlerFactory.Create(_octave.Inspector.ActiveInspectorGUIIdentifier);
    -->50: if (sceneViewEventHandler != null) sceneViewEventHandler.HandleSceneViewEvent(Event.current);
    51: }
    52: }

MonoMethod.Invoke() at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0

MethodBase.Invoke() at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0

SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:3503

SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2752

SceneView.OnGUI() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2464

MethodBase.Invoke() at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0

HostView.Invoke() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:367

HostView.Invoke() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:361

HostView.InvokeOnGUI() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:337

DockArea.DrawView() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:356

DockArea.OldOnGUI() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:346

IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:293

IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:503

IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:486

IMGUIContainer.SendEventToIMGUI() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:477

KeyboardEventDispatchingStrategy.DispatchEvent() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Events/KeyboardEventDispatchingStrategy.cs:21

EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:277

EventDispatcher.Dispatch() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:159

BaseVisualElementPanel.SendEvent() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:256

UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.bindings.cs:404

UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.bindings.cs:194

GUIUtility.ProcessEvent() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:187

34. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Ok, i found a way to fix it :D:D

It has to be :

_deleteSelectedObjects.AddKey(KeyCode.Backspace);

on a Mac. Then it works just fine and the exception disappears too. You may want to add that too in a next version. Very weird nobody has mentioned this before.

35. Caudex

Caudex

Excellent tool, I am very pleased with it. I am getting an exception that, while it is not actually affecting me that I have noticed, it would bug me if it were my software so I thought I would bring it to your attention upload_2020-4-24_22-17-45.png

Let me know if you need any more information

36. AlwinO

AlwinO

Hi,

I just purchased and imported Octave3-Level Design in a new project. But got some errors in the Console. Any tips on how to fix those? I'm using Unity 2019.2.0f1.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Actions And Queries\Objects\ObjectActions.cs(66,39): warning CS0618: 'PrefabUtility.GetPrefabType(Object)' is obsolete: 'Use GetPrefabAssetType and GetPrefabInstanceStatus to get the full picture about Prefab types.'
    2. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Actions And Queries\Objects\ObjectActions.cs(66,81): warning CS0618: 'PrefabType' is obsolete: 'PrefabType no longer tells everything about Prefab instance.'
    3. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Assets\Prefabs\PrefabValidator.cs(15,17): warning CS0618: 'PrefabUtility.GetPrefabType(Object)' is obsolete: 'Use GetPrefabAssetType and GetPrefabInstanceStatus to get the full picture about Prefab types.'
    4. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Assets\Prefabs\PrefabValidator.cs(15,56): warning CS0618: 'PrefabType' is obsolete: 'PrefabType no longer tells everything about Prefab instance.'
    5. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Assets\ProjectAssetDatabase.cs(54,41): warning CS0618: 'PrefabUtility.CreatePrefab(string, GameObject)' is obsolete: 'Use SaveAsPrefabAsset instead.'
    6. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\MeshColliderExtensions.cs(13,13): warning CS0618: 'MeshCollider.inflateMesh' is obsolete: 'MeshCollider.inflateMesh is no longer supported. The new cooking algorithm doesn't need inflation to be used.'
    7. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\MeshColliderExtensions.cs(13,36): warning CS0618: 'MeshCollider.inflateMesh' is obsolete: 'MeshCollider.inflateMesh is no longer supported. The new cooking algorithm doesn't need inflation to be used.'
    8. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\MeshColliderExtensions.cs(14,13): warning CS0618: 'MeshCollider.skinWidth' is obsolete: 'MeshCollider.skinWidth is no longer used.'
    9. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\MeshColliderExtensions.cs(14,34): warning CS0618: 'MeshCollider.skinWidth' is obsolete: 'MeshCollider.skinWidth is no longer used.'
    10. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\GameObjectExtensions.cs(14,13): warning CS0618: 'PrefabType' is obsolete: 'PrefabType no longer tells everything about Prefab instance.'
    11. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\GameObjectExtensions.cs(14,37): warning CS0618: 'PrefabUtility.GetPrefabType(Object)' is obsolete: 'Use GetPrefabAssetType and GetPrefabInstanceStatus to get the full picture about Prefab types.'
    12. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\GameObjectExtensions.cs(15,34): warning CS0618: 'PrefabType' is obsolete: 'PrefabType no longer tells everything about Prefab instance.'
    13. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\GameObjectExtensions.cs(15,67): warning CS0618: 'PrefabType' is obsolete: 'PrefabType no longer tells everything about Prefab instance.'
    14. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\GameObjectExtensions.cs(16,34): warning CS0618: 'PrefabType' is obsolete: 'PrefabType no longer tells everything about Prefab instance.'
    15. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\GameObjectExtensions.cs(16,89): warning CS0618: 'PrefabType' is obsolete: 'PrefabType no longer tells everything about Prefab instance.'
    16. Assets\Octave3D World Builder\Scripts\Extensions\GameObjectExtensions.cs(420,20): warning CS0618: 'PrefabUtility.GetPrefabParent(Object)' is obsolete: 'Use GetCorrespondingObjectFromSource.'

37. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

Those are warnings which can be ignored for now. An update is pending review which fixes all those.

38. AlwinO

AlwinO

That's good news. Thank you for your quick support.

39. ash4640

ash4640

I guess the author of this tool has conveniently ignored my previous messages, the first message I understand some warnings were because of gizmos, but others issues were happening and errors did happen, also the above mentioned errors did occur with Unity 2019.3.5, now I have gone back to just pro grids for placement. This tool was good on 2018 but some or the other issue happens on game objects once place with the tool inside the scene. Hopefully these issue will be fixed and hope to use Octave again without error on the new Unity version.

40. Buka

Buka

Is it just me or there is a problem with block and path placement when you select a wall tile?
    Seems like a bug there, placement with path and block works with floor but not with walls, nothing happens when click place this
    Console is dropping warnings when do that :
    ```
    Can not begin block construction because the object has a 0 size component along the extention plane axes.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    O3DWB.ObjectPlacementBlockManualConstructionSession:IsSessionDataReady() (at Assets/Plugins/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Objects/Object Placement/Block/ObjectPlacementBlockManualConstructionSession.cs:201)
    ```
    Here is the video of my problem:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt55a5v2wt6tyae/fW3DW8sWTK.mp4?dl=0

How to fix or avoid this? @XGT08
    Thanks!

41. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

This is not a bug and the console shows what the problem is. The block placement mode (and also path placement) use a so called extension plane to decide how the block/path extents when you place objects, but if the object has a size of 0 along one of the plane exes, it can't work because there is no way to pack the objects together when one of their axes has a zero size.

You need to press E until the extension plane (green plane) aligns with the wall surface. Currently, from what I see in your video, the plane is aligned with the world XZ plane, but your wall has a size of 0 along X or Z.

Cheers,
    Andrew

42. Buka

Buka

Thanks for your help, i didn't know about it, now everything works just great, love it :)

43. netpost

netpost

Is Octave 3D compatible with Unity 2019? I can't make it work. Using Unity 2019.3.0f6. Would it be possible to know which version is supported?
    Thank you for your help.

44. EchoE

EchoE

Good morning,

I've recently purchased this tool, running on Unity 2019.3.11f1. I'm following along with the "Small Library" video, but something seems to have gone awry at the very first step. I add an empty game object to a new scene, and attach the Octave 3d World Builder (Script) component. However, no grid appears in the scene window.

Shortcut keys also do not register to change the tool, regardless of whether I'm in the scene view or not. I can add prefabs to the Prefab Management window, but am unable to place any of them using any the tools, even if I manually select them.

There are no errors in the console. Gizmos are enabled. I do have the Game Creator tools installed, but nothing seems to be conflicting, and I am working in a completely empty scene.

I have tried reimporting all assets, deleting and recreating the scene, and restarting Unity. Nothing seems to have helped. I'm at a bit of a loss how to get to the point where the grid shows up and I can start placing items?

Hoping you can help me diagnose what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  45. XGT08

XGT08

@netpost @EchoE

Hello guys,

I have just opened Unity 2019.3.12f1 and everything seems to be working well here.

@netpost
    Can you specify what problems you are encountering?

@EchoE
    Did you select the Octave3D object in the hierarchy view. It needs to be selected in order to work with it.

46. EchoE

EchoE

@XGT08 Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I had the object selected. The various buttons and controls appeared in the inspector, but no grid in-world.

[edit] I disabled and re-enabled gizmos, and it showed up. I have no idea what changed, but I'll call it "working". Thank you for your response!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    MC_Graphics likes this.
  47. netpost

netpost

@XGT08 Thanks for the quick reply. I experience exactly the same problem as EchoE. Everything works well in Unity 2018.

48. XGT08

XGT08

Hello @netpost @EchoE

I am having trouble understanding why this is happening in your case. Would it be possible to try using Unity 2019.3.12f1 and see if the problem persists. I already have 3 Unity versions installed and it works in my case.

49. XGT08

XGT08

@EchoE
    I just read your edit. Indeed, gizmos have to be enabled, because the grid is rendered as a gizmo.

@netpost
    Can you enable gizmos and see if it works?

50. netpost

netpost

@XGT08 Curiously, I created a new project on 2019.3.0f6 and everything seems to work now. I must have done something wrong on my side. Thanks for the quick reply and support.