Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Octave3D-Level Design - Snapping, Prop placement, Multi-Prefab painting

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by XGT08, Aug 10, 2016.

1. guybro_thunderboots

guybro_thunderboots

Hi,

Undo doesn't seem to work on macOS while using 2018.3. It just rotates the selected prefab. I'm on the latest Octave as of yesterday, when I first installed it.

2. XGT08

XGT08

Ok. Thanks for letting me know. I will look into it.

3. XGT08

XGT08

4. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

@XGT08 On Unity 2018.3.8 Windows, Octave3D V 2.2.3.1.5 and find that just having the asset in my project (not even in the scene) intermittently breaks the ability to move GameObjects by their transform handle in Scene view.

Deleting the entire package was the only thing that solved it.

Is this a known bug? Anyone else having the same issue?

5. XGT08

XGT08

If you have a game object in the scene that has the Octave3D object attached to it, and that object is selected, then the Unity Editor gizmos will be disabled because the plugin uses its own gizmos (you gave to switch to selection mode to use them - press 2 on keyboard or click on second large button from left to right on the main button toolbar).

When this object is not selected, you can interact with the Unity gizmos as normal. I just tried it and it works with nor problem.

6. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Thanks @XGT08 but that isn't what's happening for me. No idea why. Even in a scene without the Octave3D object present I get this occurring. I realise this sounds crazy and doesn't make sense but... as I say, deleting the entire package gets me back to normal.

It started happening in a scene in which I was trying out Octave3D (pretty much functioning as you describe) but then I noticed the same in other scenes in the same project. Ones that have never had the Octave3D object.

Shame, because I really like the idea of this asset and keep meaning to dedicate the time to learning it properly, but this just makes it a bit of a liability for me. Sorry.

7. XGT08

XGT08

I am sorry to hear you are having this problem, but I can not understand why this is happening. Looking at the Unity version again, I can see you are using 2018.3.8. I tested with Unity 2018.3.0.

Do you happen to have 2018.3.0 installed or maybe just an earlier version of 2018 and see if the problem still persists? I am asking because I would like to avoid installing an additional version of Unity for now. If you have an earlier version already installed and the problem can not be reproduced, then I will install 2018.3.8 because it would be clear that there is a problem there and needs to be fixed.

Thanks,
    Andrew

8. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Thanks Andrew, that's a good idea re Editor version. I do have 2018.2.21. I'll try that later and report back.

9. XGT08

XGT08

Thank you very much! That would be great!

10. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

HI again @XGT08 sorry it took a while, I wanted to properly test this out before replying. So I'm having no problems at all in 2018.2.21. Works great, and I'm very much enjoying the workflow. Sadly still a problem for me in 2018.3.8

11. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Thanks for trying this out. I installed Unity 2018.3.8 and I could not reproduce the same behavior. Here is a video in which I talk about this which also shows that it is working fine in my case: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dtvcf6k4m9pl5b/Octave3D_Handles.mp4?dl=0

Is there anything else you might have done to cause that behaviour?

Thanks,
    Andrew

12. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

@XGT08 Hi Andrew, Thanks for the video :) Yeah, as you say it's one of those maddening bugs that you can't do much about until I find out what it is that triggered it.

I'll go back to a 2018.3.x project and see if I can make it happen again. Essentially the issue, once it occurred, was a problem in any scene - not just one with Octave3D in it. This might make you think that Octave3D wasn't the culprit, but by removing the asset the non-functioning scene view tools suddenly started working again...

Since I'm jumping across different Unity versions and different projects, can I ask whether there's an easy way to import an entire Octave3D 'library' (all settings and prefabs). I can see the save/load Octave3D config and save/load prefab config (in the Prefab Manager) but no data (no prefabs and their materials/textures) seem to be saved along with these files. Am I correct in assuming that if I want to port my Octave3D library from one project to another I first have to import all of the assets (in the same asset folders as they were before) then load the Octave3D config (in the Octave3D World Builder) and then the prefab config (in the Prefab Manager). Does that put everything back in place?... I'm a bit worried that asset IDs (File GUID and Local ID) will change between projects and break links to assets in Octave3D. Would it be possible to implement a single click export of everything, including assets, to facilitate reuse of Octave3D 'libraries', rather than having to recreate them from scratch?

and on a separate note... You videos are excellent. More of those please :) At the start of the first intro you mention "I assume you've already read the hotkeys docs, so I won't go into it in detail" - I did read it but I still find using the hotkeys quite hit and miss. Would be great if you could do a video going through each one, there are so many that it gets difficult in the doc to take it all in and more importantly to know what use case some might be useful for.

- would also be great to have a GUI notification (in the scene view) as to which key has been pressed and which mode has been used or activated (especially useful for keys that toggle a function on or off), or display a notification that the key will have no effect for ones that don't apply to the current painting mode. (like you currently show the active prefab name, just more user feedback of keys pressed)

- and I'm having what feels like an odd thing happening; after rotating a prefab as I want it (using X, Y, Z keys) if I move the mouse, the object resets to its initial orientation. Is there a way of making that stick?

Finally, just to say that I'm really enjoying using Octave3D (hence all the questions about usage!). I can totally see that the time invested in getting to know it will pay off in the long term :D

13. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

So, regarding the prefab configs, that is correct. The file path is used to establish references to prefab assets and the link will break if you move the prefabs to different folders or if you start a new project. In the future, configs will themselves be assets that will contain references to the prefab assets. This means that the prefabs could then be moved to different folders, but starting a new project will still break those links. I am not currently aware of how this can be fixed. If the resources are re-imported, the configs need to be rebuilt. This is not something I can change for now.

Regarding the hotkeys, I will try to record a video of the most important hotkeys or the more obscure ones which may not be immediately obvious how they could be used.

Can you give me a few examples? There is already some info there, and I would like to keep the scene view as clean as possible. So if you have anything specific you would like to see there, I will check to see if it can be done. But I would avoid writing too much info for now.

This is most likely because you have axis alignment turned on. When that is the case, whenever the mouse is moved, the rotation of the object is adjusted so that the object is aligned with the surface normal. The following image shows how you can toggle axis alignment on/off. The screenshot was taken for Point and Click placement mode, but the same format is used for other placement modes:

AxisAlignment.png

I am happy to hear you are enjoying Octave3D. I hope you'll make good use of it in many projects :)