Search Unity

Octave3D-Level Design - Snapping, Prop placement, Multi-Prefab painting

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by XGT08, Aug 10, 2016.

?

Do you prefer written documentation or video tutorials? (regarding the Octave3D remake)

Poll closed Jun 10, 2023.
  1. Written documentation

68.8%
  2. Video tutorials

31.3%
  1. XGT08

XGT08

Ok. Glad to hear it was resolved :)

2. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Thank you! great to hear that :) Cause we have to move to 2018.3 becasue of new trees and gpu based terrain :) Thanks I'm very happy that you like it! :) Sure We will try to inform here also about Release of the game :) Good luck with Octave too! thats a great tool without it making level design with such a number of object would be a pain in unity :) Thanks!

3. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi,

I have kind of bug about snapping.. Sometimes snapping ( grid or object to object ) works do not work somehow, I disable and enable try again, and nothing.. Then I quit unity, and restart unity, usually will fix this bug..

If this not fixes, I have to remove Octave 3D World Builder script, and add again, lose all settings.. But this definetly fixes to not snapping problem..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  4. XGT08

XGT08

I believe this happens after you manually create objects in the scene using Unity. Try pressing the Refresh Scene button in the Inspector and see if this fixes the problem.

MoribitoMT likes this.
  5. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Thank you, I kind of solved that problem...

However, now, I have different kind of weirdness.. :)

I added these prefabs to PrefabManager
    Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 17.45.24.png

PrefabManager shows me this image for al thumbnails ( My main road from different prefab set )
    Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 17.45.35.png

6. XGT08

XGT08

This problem is also related to the same thing unfortunately. If the prefabs were dropped in the manager before the refresh scene operation, then this is what can happen. Drop the prefabs after refreshing the scene and see if it works.

MoribitoMT likes this.
  7. I_hope_Unity_DIES

I_hope_Unity_DIES

]

Hi! I just picked up Octave 3D and was wondering if someone can help me with this. The selection tool marquee in Octave 3D isn't aligning with my cursor. This is in a clean project in Unity 2018.2.171f.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

8. XGT08

XGT08

I remember your e-mail but admittedly I had completely forgotten about it :) Mainly because your issue is the source of lots of head scratches for me :) I simply have no idea what could be causing such behaviour. It looks as if the mouse position is not reported correctly by Unity. I'm not trying to throw blame at Unity, but it certainly looks that way.

Did you install any mouse drivers or anything like that or maybe toyed with the mouse settings in Windows? For the moment this is the only thing that I can think of.

9. XGT08

XGT08

@BV123
    Also, maybe just delete the plugin folder from your project, download it again from the Asset Store and try again. It's silly, but it's worth giving it a try.

10. I_hope_Unity_DIES

I_hope_Unity_DIES

Okay, it's a Windows 10 Compatibility problem. I had to Change high DPI settings > override high DPI scaling behavior > System (Enhanced).

I had a feeling it wasn't Octave since everything else seems to work just fine and no one else was having the same problem but it's so weird since this Windows 10 compatibility problem seems to only be affecting Octave. Unity and all my other assets (which are a lot) weren't exhibiting a similar behavior so it gave the impression that the problem was with Octave when in fact it wasn't.

Just strange. o_O

Anyway, thanks a LOT for steering me in the right direction with the mouse suggestion because that made me think of DPI scaling. Okay, back to work with Octave. :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    XGT08 likes this.
  11. XGT08

XGT08

I am really glad it got sorted out. I had no idea how to approach this issue :D

I will have to remember this for the future. Thanks for letting me know!

12. sunrisebacon

sunrisebacon

I was going through the tutorials today and I'm very impressed with the editor so far.

I have one big problem though: the undo shortcut ctrl+z doesn't work anymore. It always rotates the selected object. That's a very big issue for me. Going through the menu is not an option.

And is there a way to select the current object in the hierarchy?
    I know that it would jump out of the editor mode but how do I get access to the object inspector?

13. XGT08

XGT08

I can definitely see how the Undo problem can be a deal breaker. But I can not understand how it is not working. It works perfectly fine here. Was there anything special that you did?

You can select the Octave3D object using the ALT + R combo. Deselect it with ALT + D.

Mark_01 likes this.
  14. Alic

Alic

Is Octave working in 2018.3? Haven't tried using it much, but with the prefab workflows changing I imagine it would need an update? Anyone using it in a 2018.3 project?

15. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

I haven't tested Octave3D with 2018.3 yet. I hope to start testing as soon as possible.

Suffice to say, I don't see any breaking changes that would cause Octave3D to break in 2018.3.

16. Alic

Alic

Thanks for the quick response, xgt! Will update you if I run into anything.

17. steddyman

steddyman

Hi

I don't think it is working well with 2018.3. I keep getting the logs flooded with errors (about 100 a minute or more) similar to the following error. They stream into the logs as soon as you start moving your mouse across the scene view and stop when your mouse exits the scene view.

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'GameObject' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    UnityEngine.GameObject.GetComponent[T] () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/GameObject.bindings.cs:28)
    O3DWB.GameObjectExtensions.GetMeshFromMeshFilter (UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject) (at Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Extensions/GameObjectExtensions.cs:1142)
    O3DWB.GameObjectExtensions.GetMeshWorldBox (UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject) (at Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Extensions/GameObjectExtensions.cs:1039)
    O3DWB.GameObjectExtensions.GetWorldBox (UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject) (at Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Extensions/GameObjectExtensions.cs:1004)
    O3DWB.Box.FromObjectWorldAABB (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] gameObjects) (at Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Math/Box/Box.cs:83)
    O3DWB.ObjectSelectionExtrudeGizmo.RenderHandles (O3DWB.TransformGizmoPivotPoint transformPivotPoint) (at Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Transform/Transform Gizmos/ObjectSelectionExtrudeGizmo.cs:23)
    O3DWB.ObjectSelectionGizmos.RenderHandles (System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1[T] selectedGameObjects) (at Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Objects/Object Selection/ObjectSelectionGizmos.cs:131)
    O3DWB.ObjectSelection.RenderHandles () (at Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Objects/Object Selection/ObjectSelection.cs:194)
    O3DWB.ObjectSelectionSceneRenderPath.RenderHandles () (at Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Rendering/Scene/Scene Render Path/ObjectSelectionSceneRenderPath.cs:15)
    O3DWB.SceneRenderer.RenderHandles () (at Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Rendering/Scene/SceneRenderer.cs:20)
    O3DWB.Octave3DWorldBuilderInspectorGUI.OnSceneGUI () (at Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Editor/Scripts/Octave3DWorldBuilderInspectorGUI.cs:47)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2833)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2122)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1983)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:342)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:336)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:310)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect, System.Boolean customBorder, System.Boolean floatingWindow, System.Boolean isBottomTab) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:363)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:322)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:244)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

18. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

I don't receieve any errors when using the plugin. I only played with it shortly so it's not really a robust test:

Octave3D2018_03.png

Is there anything that you did specifically?

NOTE: For some reason, I am encountering a different issue. It seems that I can no longer Undo stuff in the scene view. If possible, please use an earlier version of Unity until I figure out whether this is a Unity bug or a bug in Octave3D. I am using a Unity function for Undo/Redo so it seems weird that it just suddenly stopped working.

Mark_01 likes this.
  19. steddyman

steddyman

I just responded to your email prior to seeing this. I think the undo issue is related. In order to undo you have to select off the WorldBuilder object in the scene then press Undo 4 times. That finally deletes the last object you had selected, but it is doing it without Octave3D knowledge since you don't have that object selected. This morning, immediately after I did that, it started spewing errors again.

Unfortunately I cannot use an earlier version as my entire project has been setup with 2018.3 from a few weeks ago and I am using features of 2018.3. The Ctrl-Z not working was reported in an earlier post above and it instead rotates in Z since you are capturing that key in Octave3D. Perhaps because that key isn't passed through undo is never triggered?

20. XGT08

XGT08

I have sent you an answer to your e-mail with a pack that fixes the Undo/Redo issue.

21. scary_code_monkey

scary_code_monkey

For me the 2018.3 :
    Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Transform/Coordinate System/CoordinateSystem.cs(108,33): error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type `void' to `UnityEngine.Quaternion'
    error is back....

22. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

If you are using the latest version, this should not happen. I can load up the project in 2018.3 and no errors are shown. This error was fixed a while back.

If you think you are using the latest pack, please send me a screenshot of the CoordinateSystem.cs file. More specifically, I am interested to see how how the contents of the SetRotation function of the CoordinateSystem class look like.

23. scary_code_monkey

scary_code_monkey

Ahhhhh - My bad : I am returning to an old project & did not notice that the "Octave3D World Builder" has changed to "Octave3D Level Design" - so I have been re-importing the old package by clicking on the asset & doing re-import ....

Is it safe to delete the "Octave3D World Builder" from assets and direct replace it with "Octave3D Level Design" - or am I better re-applying the SetRotation fix ?

(and thanks for the megga quick response!)

24. XGT08

XGT08

@scary_code_monkey
    In my opinion it is always better to delete old stuff and do a clean import. That's rule number 1 for me :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  25. JakartaIlI

JakartaIlI

Hello. How can i use original pivot in point click mode. I need it.
    Thanks.

26. XGT08

XGT08

In the main toolbar in the Inspector, there is a button with a magnet on it which will lead you to the snap settings UI. In there, you will find a toggle button called Use original pivot. Check that.

27. JakartaIlI

JakartaIlI

Ow, thanks you, just what need.

28. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

This is a fantastic package that has made life a lot easier, however the one constant irritation is the toggle wireframe feature. Time and time again we've found it keeps hiding the wireframe even when Octave isn't active (i.e. when you're just doing normal Unity editing) and have to go click that button to get it showing again - even though Outline and/or Wireframe are enabled in the Gizmos section of Unity.

IMHO, you shouldn't really be messing with Unity's outline/wireframe tooling. Or if you are, you should be toggling that setting and the button should be a shortcut. Right now it seems to be a separate bit of logic that constantly collides with Unity's own workflow. It's not like the Outline/Wireframe options are really deep in menus so Octave having its own thing for it seems fairly pointless and just gets in the way.

29. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion. This feature was implemented back when the wireframe triangles were used and during development I found the triangles really annoying. However, I have been meaning to delete this feature for quite some time, but kept postponing it because I wasn't sure. I guess it's time to make it go away :)

BenWoodford likes this.
  30. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Fantastic to hear! I'll keep an eye out for the update :)

XGT08 likes this.
  31. XGT08

XGT08

Ok. Feature removed. I wanted to start a conversation to send you the updated pack, but it seems I can't. Can you send me an e-mail instead at octamodius@yahoo.com ?

32. frbrz

frbrz

Hi. I bought Octave some time ago but I didn't have the chance to use it until now. I'm having a problem. When I drag & drop a prefab to a category the prefab's thumbnail gets rotated. It's a big deal because sometimes I can't even see what I'm working with (as in the first image) altough sometimes I don't care (as in the second example). What can I do to prevent this from hapenning?

Screenshot from 2019-02-18 03-46-00.png
    Screenshot from 2019-02-18 03-58-19.png

My specs are the following:
    Unity: Unity 2018.3.0f2
    Desktop: GNOME 3.30.1
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

I sended you this exact message to your mail two weeks ago (octamodius@yahoo.com, 2/18/19). I hope you can read it, please. Maybe is in your spam box.

Thank you for your attention!

33. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

I remember your e-mail. I did read it, but I chose not to respond on purpose because this is something I can not improve at the moment. What I can say, is that there are plans to have rotatable/animated previews in the future.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Mark_01 likes this.
  34. frbrz

frbrz

Are there no workarounds for it?
    So if I buy another package from you I will have no answers if I have problems?

35. XGT08

XGT08

It depends on the problems. Yours is not really a problem. It's an incovenience, I understand, but you also have to understand that in some situations I prefer to keep to myself if I don't have a positive answer.

36. frbrz

frbrz

Whatever. It is a bug. You can phrase it however you want and make it seem like non existent if you like but not giving a workaround while not answering mails it is not what we call customer support. Is there a workaround or not?

37. XGT08

XGT08

There is no workaround because there is no bug in the first place. This subject is closed from my point of view. I will not answer to further replies on this subject.

38. frbrz

frbrz

You chose to be rude from the begining by no answering to me. I was being polite by mail and by text here. I even thought about buying another asset from you but you chose a continual denial of a real problem that I have. If I had a chance to know beforehand that you were a bad person I would chose not to buy from you.

I have 3D packages of assets from the store that I bought that are composed of 3D meshes without backfaces or that are rotated and no one of those shows correctly in your tool. How I am suposed to work like that? And you don't care.

I will ask for a refound from the Unity Asset store guys.
    I don't deserve to be treated like this. I'm a paying customer like everybody else.

39. ratking

ratking

I really don't know in which situation it's preferable to keep a customer in the dark about the product they bought, instead of just saying how it is.

40. XGT08

XGT08

@ratking
    The following 2 situations:
    1. publisher believes the so called "issue" is not a game changer and the product in question can still be used as was intended;
    2. publisher prefers to keep quiet instead of saying 'No' due to the way in which the review system can be abused.

41. ratking

ratking

Still I don't know why this shouldn't be communicated.

How would a non-answer improve the situation with abusing review systems? A "no" with a good reason, or with an outlook like you gave ("there are plans to have rotatable/animated previews in the future") should prevent abusers anyway.

42. XGT08

XGT08

@ratking
    If you are a customer and would like to report a bug or make suggestions for improvements, please do so. Otherwise, there is no more to be said on this subject. It's all rather pretty simple: I chose not to respond. My choices with respect to customer interaction and the reasons behind those are my concern and mine only.

43. vladveterok

vladveterok

Hi! Have the same issue. Console flooded with errors, Octave3d doesn't work.

44. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Please update to the latest version because this issue has been fixed.

EDIT: If you are already using the latest version, please send me a screenshot of the errors you are receiving.

45. Sir_patrickl

Sir_patrickl

Hi @XGT08, I just purchased Octave3d and I am just started to get familiar with it. I'm enjoying so far but there are a couple things getting in the way of my workflow so I have some questions.

1. I'm using a 2.5 x 2.5 grid and I have prefabs that are designed for this size however the actual mesh overflows a little on the sides (making the grid bounding box/grid size a little larger). By using the center pivot point I can add these fine using single click mode but if I try to paint using the block/grid mode they do not fit correctly.

Is it possible to explicitly set the prefab grid size and use that size to offset it from the pivot point when laying a grid?

Alternatively - Is there a paint mode for single click grid placement where I can hold my mouse down and move to paint the cells?

2. Is it possible to randomize the prefabs used when painting with grid paint mode?

3. If I save a prefab config will it auto save changes I make or do I need to manually re-save? Is there any option to have this auto save?

Thanks in advance.

46. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

So, regarding your inquiries:

1. You have to go to the snap settings GUI (activated by button with magnet) and check the Use Original Pivot button as shown in the image below:
    Use original Pivot.png

Paint mode for spawn modes that snap to grid (Point and Click, Path, Block) is not supported.

2. You can randomize the prefabs in the active category only. So a random prefab will be picked from the active category. You need to check the following toggle:

PrefabRandomize.png

3. Prefab configs need to be manually saved.

Cheers,
    Andrew

47. Nymea

Nymea

I am also having the same problems with bugs and cant even get started with using the product. I bought it today (March 28th, 2019) and downloaded what I assume is the latest version from the asset store. I also have the latest version of Unity 2018.3.10f1. It is installed on a brand new project with only base Unity and multistory Dungeons assets. The version of Octave 3d I have installed is 2.2.3.1.5 Screen shot added FYI

octave3dss.jpg

48. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

The warnings should not cause any trouble. I will eliminate those in the future.

For now, please tell me what are the bugs you are experiencing.

Cheers,
    Andrew

49. Nymea

Nymea

Hi Andrew ... I wasn't able to get the program working at all in Unity ... but after uninstalling it and reinstalling it a couple of times it decided to play ball. Not sure what the problem was but it seems ok now aside from the yellow warnings which I am ignoring. Thanks for reassuring me about those though.

50. XGT08

XGT08

That's strange but it's great to hear you got it to work :) Thanks fore letting me know.