Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Octave3D-Level Design - Snapping, Prop placement, Multi-Prefab painting

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by XGT08, Aug 10, 2016.

?

Do you prefer written documentation or video tutorials? (regarding the Octave3D remake)

Poll closed Jun 10, 2023.
  1. Written documentation

68.8%
  2. Video tutorials

31.3%
  1. XGT08

XGT08

No problem :)

2. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

@XGT08 I tried using the mesh combine/merge feature.. It mostly works. Thanks for that. However there's an issue with the combined meshes (side note: I see them in Octave3D World Builder/Octave3D Combined Meshes). I get the following error msg:

RuntimeNavMeshBuilder: Source mesh cmbMesh_-491142 does not allow read access. This will work in playmode in the editor but not in player.

Basically I'm using walls/floor prefab like in 3d forge and adding buildings at run-time to a scene.. Than I generate a nav mesh at runtime. Unfortunately it gives me the above error. I tried following the comment at:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...read-access-when-batching-static-is-turned-on

and made all the meshes non Static.. still doesn't work :(.

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  3. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

You need to uncheck the Mark no longer readable toggle in the Mesh Combine window:
    Mark no longer readable.png

So the toggle which is surrounded in a red rectangle must be UNCHECKED. By default, it is checked.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Mohamed-Anis likes this.
  4. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

Thank you! It worked. Amazingly quick reply. Pmed you the invoice :)

XGT08 likes this.
  5. XGT08

XGT08

:) No problem. I remember you now. Glad I could help ;)

6. redmugstudios

redmugstudios

Hey Andrew, I have an email regarding another feature request, to extend the shortcut "R".

7. XGT08

XGT08

Hey there,

I sent you an e-mail with the requested feature.

8. XGT08

XGT08

Hi everyone,

I just released a new update on the store which fixes a lag that was happening when switching between playmode and back. The lag was visible when using a large number of prefabs. For say around 3000 prefabs, on my system it would take around 13 seconds to switch to play mode or back to editor. This has been reduced to around 2-3 seconds or so.

In order to fix this issue, it was necessary to replace some modules and due to this, you might initially get errors or exceptions when updating. My advice is to first save your prefab configs, then delete the current Octave3D package and only then import the new version.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Mark_01 and Mohamed-Anis like this.
  9. Thirias

Thirias

I have the laggy S*** too ,

another question is the a hotkey to reset the rotation i have done with shift+x,y,z rotate ?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  10. XGT08

XGT08

CTRL + Z - Undo

or

I - reset rotation to identity

11. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

hey there, its been a while, and i have been using your tool on almost regular basis.
    a small question though. i just updated to the newest active version on the asset store, and well,
    i ended up with a compile error.

upload_2018-3-31_16-42-37.png
    where it says, this no longer exists.
    this exists in the Octave3DFixWindow class that inherits from Octave3DEditorWindow.

12. XGT08

XGT08

Please see the 4th post above :)

13. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

thanks for the quick response as always :)
    i honestly skimmed through the topic, expecting you already answered (which you did :D ) but since it was a compile error, i was looking for code, i didn't see code so i thought it was mentioned yet :D

thanks, it appears to have worked, also, nicely done ! i am very glad you have fixed that big lag issue. it was causing me a big headache to be honest, i am very glad about this update to be honest.

Mark_01 and XGT08 like this.
  14. XGT08

XGT08

Yes, the lag was reported to me before, but I didn't know exactly how to approach the problem. Luckily, I was able to finally find a solution for this :)

Mark_01 and GrassWhooper like this.
  15. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

This asset seems to be best at what it does. After placing objects, can it combine them to single mesh?

Thanks

16. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Thanks! Yes, it can. Here is an image:
    MeshCombine.png

You need to press the Mesh combine... button an this will open up a new window with mesh combine settings.

All the best,
    Andrew

Mark_01 likes this.
  17. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

I have yet to buy the asset, i will buy it in a ffew days, will let you know when. Thanks

18. Alic

Alic

Hey, I really love this tool! Getting to build multiple levels with it now for the first time, and it's as fun as I always thought it would be.

I'm wondering, with brush placement is there a way to randomize the rotation of an object in more than just one axis? This would be pretty useful for things like rocks that can be reused a bunch if they look good at any angle. Currently I can't find a way to actually place the rocks with a random rotation on all three axes.

Thanks a lot for your time!

19. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

Use Prefab Place N' Bake tool in Unity asset store. I will buying Octave3D soon. I guess it would be on sale on May Madness

20. XGT08

XGT08

This forum is not for advertising other assets. If you want to make a recommendation then send a private message to the person in question. Please use this forum for Octave3D related queries/discussions only.

@Alic
    Hi there,

Thanks! I am glad to hear you like the plugin! It's 2.49 AM here, so I will take a look at your inquiry tomorrow and see what I can do. Thank you for the suggestion.

Cheers,
    Andrew

21. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

I am sorry, I did not mean to advertise I just wanted to quick help. Your asset is amazing, and I will be buying it on May Madness Sale since I am a student, otherwise I would have bought it ages ago.

XGT08 likes this.
  22. Alic

Alic

Wow, fast response! Thanks a lot for looking into it.

23. XGT08

XGT08

Hi Alic,

I haven't had a chance to look into your request today. Really sorry about that. It may be possible that this weekend is compromised. I promise to look into it ASAP.

Thanks for understanding,
    Andrew

24. XGT08

XGT08

No problem. But please keep this in mind for the future :)

UnityRocksAlt likes this.
  25. XGT08

XGT08

Hi @Alic

I've sent you a PM with link to updated package (XYZ rotation randomization) :)

Cheers,
    Andrew

26. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

Bought your asset finally, I will start using it in a week I think.

XGT08 likes this.
  27. XGT08

XGT08

That's great to hear! :)

UnityRocksAlt likes this.
  28. Nikodemas

Nikodemas

Andrew,

I'm using your Asset and its fantastic, but I'm having an issue that may or may not be possible.

I'm wanting to use the Path placement to lay down roads in my game. My desire is to be able to select multiple prefabs to paint down on the path and have it "know" which ones to use. i.e. Right or left turns, or a 3-way or 4- way connection.

Rule Tiles in Unity's Tilemap tools allow you to do something similar, but it only functions with Sprite based 2D objects.

Is there a functionality I'm missing?

TIA.

29. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there @Nikodemas

This feature already exists. It is called Tile Connections.

In the Path settings, you need to check Use tile connections:
    TileConnections.png

There are 7 tile types possible: the ones you might expect + one other cool one called Autofill.
    Just drag and drop a prefab inside the tile image in order to associate a prefab with a particular tile connection.

Note: There is restriction when using tile connections. The tiles must have the same size along the 2 axes that extend along the path plane. For example, if the path extends/lies on the world XZ plane, the tile X and Z size must have the same size.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Andrew

chrisMary and Nikodemas like this.
  30. Nikodemas

Nikodemas

Using the Tile Connections; the active configuration "breaks" as soon as I save the Scene in Unity.

I keep having to completely remove the prefabs and redefine them and set up the connections each time.

Suggestions?

31. XGT08

XGT08

Well, it seems to be a bug. I will take a look at it as soon as I can. Meanwhile, would it be possible to give me more details? By breaking you mean it breaks the editor or you get errors in the console?

32. Nikodemas

Nikodemas

The functionality for the "Tile by Connection" stops working initially after saving.

A weird bug, when I select another object in the scene and then go back to the Octave3D Script, it starts to work correctly again.

33. Nikodemas

Nikodemas

Any thoughts on if you plan to make the tile connections a bit more nuanced?

Having the code able to tell which piece to place based on what is on either side of it would be nice, such as knowing that its connected to a 4-way connection or not to decide which to place.

34. XGT08

XGT08

At the moment, with the current code-base, that is not possible. Connections will only be established within the same path. I understand how this can be limiting, so it will be improved in the future. It will take some time however.

35. XGT08

XGT08

@Nikodemas
    I've tried to reproduce the error, but it seems to work fine for me.

So I created 2 separate configs, I've saved the scene, exited Unity and entered again. The configs are there and I can switch between them and I can use them. Is there any step in particular that I am missing?

Mark_01 likes this.
  36. guybro_thunderboots

guybro_thunderboots

I'm evaluating level design tools and I'm wondering if Octave3d is suitable for my purposes. I've gone through the YouTube videos, but they're all quite old so I'm not sure if the limitations I see are still present (or existed in the first place).

I'm looking for a tool that lets me design my game levels as discrete prefabs that I can then assemble at runtime, rather than build the entire level as a single Unity scene.

In other words, I want to design "Area A" and "Area B" and "Area C" with Octave3d, save these designs as separate prefabs, then load them at runtime (or in-editor for debugging). This requires all of the painted prefabs to be nested under a single game object that represents each "Area" prefab.

So, is it possible to have multiple Octave3d "worlds" in a single scene, each painting prefabs to a specific game object? Is there another way to achieve the same result?

37. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

I hope I understood correctly. So you would like to have different areas of your game level stored under separate game objects and then have prefabs created from those objects. If that is the case than yes, this is possible. Octave3D has support for object groups. Here is a tutorial video in which I talk about them in detail.

In a nutshell, object groups are just empty game objects that parent a group of objects. You can setup the tool to spawn prefabs inside different groups. Groups can be changed manually or automatically by associating them with a prefab category. I suggest you watch the video linked above to learn how to use them.

Indeed, the presentation video shows that all objects are stored under a single common parent. But that's because object groups were not supported in the initial release. As you said, things have changed :)

Hope this helps,
    Andrew

Mark_01 likes this.
  38. lolclol

lolclol

How bout mirroring in the opposite direction like this pic.????

Attached Files:

39. XGT08

XGT08

I don't know what to say really :) Is there any specific scenario that you have in mind in which this could be useful?
    I can't say whether or not this is something I would like to have in the plugin.

40. lolclol

lolclol

most multiplayer arena game uses this kind of level design.

Attached Files:

GrassWhooper likes this.
  41. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Im using unity 2018.2.0b11 and get the following error on importing the asset:
    Any idea how to fix this?

Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Editor/Scripts/Octave3DWorldBuilderInspectorGUI.cs(12,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Octave3DWorldBuilder' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

42. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there Lars,

I am downloading Unity 2018.1.7 and checking to see what went wrong. I do not support beta version releases.

I tend to believe however, that this error has nothing to do with the Unity version. Do you think you could delete the Octave3D package from the project and reimport it?

43. XGT08

XGT08

@Lars-Steenhoff
    Hi there,

Just tested and it works with no issues on Unity 2018.1.7.

trilobyteme likes this.
  44. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

yes It must be something in the new beta, this is actually the first error it showed

Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Transform/Coordinate System/CoordinateSystem.cs(108,33): error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type `void' to `UnityEngine.Quaternion'

It also showed the API updater popup so something on unity API has changed.

I also tested in 2017.4.6f1 and there its fine.
    I will wait for the final release of unity 2018.2.

Thanks for checking

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  45. XGT08

XGT08

No problem. Yes, this is why I try to stay away from betas :) I will keep an eye out on 2018.2 myself and test it as soon as I grab my hands on it.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Mark_01 likes this.
  46. MrTiger

MrTiger

Hi there .. Thx for this wonderful asset .i just started to exploring it and as if now i am very much happy the way it work . but there are 2 things i am not aware of 1) can we hide the grid in scene view or is there any other work around ? (because some time it gives me visual glitch when i try to rotate the view if there is a ground object is placed . but its not a big problem ) . 2) can we place object on terrain which i imported from 3d software as FBX ? (which has a non uniform surface ) .

47. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Glad to hear you're happy with the product!

So regarding your questions:
    1. You can change the grid line color by setting the alpha value to 0. In that case the lines will become transparent. See image below:
    GridColors.png

2. Although I have not tried it, there shouldn't be any problem. In that case the terrain will behave like a mesh and Octave can place objects on meshes as it can do on terrains.

Hope this helps,
    Andrew

48. MrTiger

MrTiger

Thx for the quick reply .

49. XGT08

XGT08

You're welcome :)

50. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

hey there,
    so quick small question.
    i basically, have a level, where i'd want more than one Octave3D World Builder, just for organization purposes as i am creating a large scene.
    example, i already have a Bridges Level Builder, which contains all things related to bridges, i want to now create houses(interiors and exteriors)
    so, i created another Octave3DWorldBuilder, and i expected that, each one would be seperated from the others.
    but turns out, even if i disable, or even remove, the other Bridges World Builder, the Houses Builder, will still keep the data from the Bridges Builder (groups, and categories and whatnot)
    any ideas?

also, i just read more of the previous posts on this topic, and OMG, i didn't realize such cool useful feature like Smart Tiles were already part of this tool, good job. this will be super useful.

even though, it has been months since i bought this asset, but oh man, i still discover some new things about it every once in a while. truly one of the best things i bought off the asset store.

Edit: after closing the project, reopening it, creating an entire new Octave3D Builder, and disabling the Bridges Builder, it worked.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018