Search Unity

Question occlusion culling

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Lakuza, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Lakuza

Lakuza

Using Unity 2018.4.20f1 for a vr project and having difficulties with occlusion culling where crossing the border of certain occlusion camera volumes will cause the world to stop rendering for a brief moment.

In editor, the visualizer looks fine. The visibility lines are not hitting an invisible occluder and the world is visible in both play mode and scene view. However, when testing the build in vr or testing it directly in editor using vr, the world will keep getting occluded at the same places.

I've been searching for the past week to see if anyone has had any similar issues but to no luck.

In this vid, I'm using vr to test it in play mode. As you can see the game view shows the world disappear even though scene view and camera preview in the bottom corner seem fine. This only happens as the yellow occlusion volume box changes from one to another:
    https://i.gyazo.com/be682f0247af729cbf8533d6b603ffac.mp4

What I've tried:
    - using gameobject cubes as occluder static (with the world mesh set to occludee only)
    - The above at varying cube sizes
    - unity cylinders
    - quads/plains
    - only the wall mesh set to occulder static
    - different occlusion values for smallest occluder/smallest hole
    - For now I'm using 2.5 smallest occluder and 0.25 smallest hole

When I lower the smallest occluder size, it creates more "blink" areas and increasing the occluder size didn't solve the issues either. Changing smallest hole didn't seem to have any effect. Like I mentioned above, this is only happening when in vr.

Just wondering if there's any known issues with vr and occlusion culling on this version of unity.

Jonas-Neuston likes this.
  2. TheFluffyMane

TheFluffyMane

Hello @Lakuza ,

Have you been able to resolve this issue ?

I am facing the exact same behaviour in my projet in VR using Unity 2019.4.3f1

I also tried many different things with no luck and you are the first person I see who posted about this exact issue.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  3. TheFluffyMane

TheFluffyMane

4. Shii

Shii

This issue was caused by bug in post-processing package messing with projection matrices. This was fixed in Post-Processing v3.0.2

5. jll123567

jll123567

Any chance this bug got re-introduced? I'm having the same issue in Unity2019.4.31f1 with Post Processing 3.1.1

6. Shii

Shii

I have not experienced this bug with Post Processing 3.1.1 and 3.2.0
    Probably caused by something else.

7. lazylukey

lazylukey

Last edited: May 18, 2022