Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Occlusion Culling stops working as camera moves away from occluder walls

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by halfpasttense, Aug 30, 2020.

1. halfpasttense

halfpasttense

I'm having a very strange problem with occlusion culling where as the camera gets farther away from a giant wall that should be occluding everything behind it, more and more things behind it stop being occluded. I have no idea what's going on or how to fix this and was hoping someone could help me. I absolutely need this to work properly to get performance to be acceptable.

Here's a little video showing what's happening in the editor:

2. halfpasttense

halfpasttense

So after some more testing I found that I could stop this particular problem from happening by increasing the "Smallest Occluder" setting from 0.5 to 6. However a setting of 6 is much too large to have any meaningful occlusion happen inside that building you see on the right side of the map, where the walls are made up of much smaller sections. This really seems like a bug to me.

3. halfpasttense

halfpasttense

upload_2020-9-1_0-6-3.png

So this is my workaround... That's how big of fake occluder wall and floor I had to put in to be able to hide that building while still keeping my 0.5 smallest occluder setting. Then I just disable the fake wall and floor after baking occlusion.