Search Unity

Occlusion Culling not working on Gear VR build

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by scottb9239, Mar 31, 2015.

1. scottb9239

scottb9239

Hi all, I am a Unity Pro/Android Pro user (using 4.6.3f1) and have been using occlusion culling successfully on several PC projects. Recently I have been working on two Gear VR projects using the OVRCameraRig (with Occlusion Culling enabled on both cameras) and have noticed that Occlusion Culling does not seem to work on the actual Gear VR build itself but does work in the editor.

I noticed this on one project as the draw calls did not drop after baking and that far away objects would not disappear between the small gaps in close objects (intentional test) that I was seeing in the editor, which worked as expected.

On the newer project I made a large cube with an invisible shader assigned to it and set to Occluder Static and baked the scene. In the editor the far objects do not draw behind where the invisible cube is as if the cube was there, exactly what I wanted. In Gear VR the draw calls did not drop (are 5x what is showing the editor) and the far objects behind the cube still all show.

Anyone else having issues with Occlusion Culling on Gear VR builds?

Many thanks,
    Scott

2. JDMulti

JDMulti

Haven't tested it, but if you're right, this is some serious issue I think. Do you have a test project available for download?

3. scottb9239

scottb9239

Hi, I sent the project to Unity for testing, so hope to hear back soon.

4. stan4u

stan4u

Hi, have you got any progress on this? do you know if it's fixed in 4.6.4? we are having same issues on gear and note in 4.6.3

5. scottb9239

scottb9239

I tested it with 4.6.4 and the new SDK 0.5.0 but it wasn't fixed.

I have contacted Oculus support (as well as submitting a bug with Unity) and I sent them a test scene to show the issue. They are currently looking into it and I also got an email from one of the heads of the Oculus support department assuring me that this and many other bugs will be fixed in an upcoming update soon.

My feeling is that this will be fixed (hopefully) in the coming weeks.

Todd-Wasson likes this.
  6. stan4u

stan4u

Actually we upgraded meantime to Oculus mobile SDK 0.5.0 , still on 4.6.3 unity and it seems to be working now. we are getting pretty much the same geometry rendered in editor and mobile now.

7. scottb9239

scottb9239

I've tried my game on Unity 5.1.1 and with the 0.6.0.1 Oculus plugin and occlusion culling STILL does not work on Gear VR. I have a simple test scene with a large cube in the middle of the room and smaller cubes around it. I bake the occlusion, test it in the editor (which works fine), set the large middle cube to use a transparent shader, test it again (still culls the smaller cubes behind it, but now you can see them cull as the large cube is transparent. Then run it on the Gear VR and it does not cull at all!

The bug I submitted back in April is still not closed (I also submitted this with Oculus too), can't believe it's taking them this long to fix this glaring issue, the performance would be SO greatly enhanced if this was fixed!

Frustrated

8. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

Hi @scottb9239,

I am looking into your bug report now. Once I get it reproduced, I will pass it onto the dev team. Then they will provide a timeline for fixing the issue. Thanks for your patience, and I apologize we haven't jumped on this sooner.

-Will

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    vicator and scottb9239 like this.
  9. scottb9239

scottb9239

Thank you Will, super appreciate it! :)

Scott

10. dustinwish

dustinwish

Any updates on this issue? I had a student ask about this issue before the patch p4?

11. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

Culling should work with integrated VR on P4; however, GearVR/android are experiencing some performance drawbacks that are making culling (and other functionalities) ineffective. The team is working hard to address these performance drawbacks for the next update.

-Will

vicator likes this.
  12. scottb9239

scottb9239

Thanks for the update Will, appreciate it. Can't wait to see my game running at full steam with the performance updates coming down the pipe. Have been seeing everything from 0.5ms to 20ms just for the culling calculations (with optimal settings)! :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  13. scottb9239

scottb9239

Hi Will, any update on the fix for the occlusion culling performance issue on Gear VR?

Thanks,
    Scott

14. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

@scottb9239, the devs have found the cause of the problem but do not have a definite timeline on the fix. That might not sound so good but I know that this is a priority for us right now. I will let you know when I get an estimate on the timeline for these fixes.

-Will

scottb9239 likes this.
  15. scottb9239

scottb9239

Thanks Will, appreciate it. :)

16. vicator

vicator

Will thanks for reporting it to them. Recently the problem with 4.6.7f gave me audio problems (playing too fast) why I was forced to upgrade to Unity 5. Now I'm getting rendering performance issues with the mobile shaders again (as before the VR Jam). Annoying to say the least to upgrade and get worse performance.

17. mpgholden

mpgholden

We're encountering this issue as well - it's the only thing preventing us from shipping, so waiting eagerly for the fix. :)

vicator and scottb9239 like this.
  18. scottb9239

scottb9239

Same here, have a project on hold because of this, it's a room based game that really requires culling to keep it to per room performance for the most part, with the occlusion culling performance as it is the frame rate is really bad in a lot of areas.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  19. vicator

vicator

Any progress?

20. scottb9239

scottb9239

Hi vicator, the occlusion culling works on the latest Unity with native VR, but it is very slow, almost unusable, as in it doesn't save much draw time because the calculation is slow. They are looking into it.

21. scottb9239

scottb9239

UPDATE: I just tried 5.1.3P1 and the occlusion culling seems a bit faster now, give it a try. :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    olavrv likes this.
  22. vicator

vicator

Great reply. Do you know if the updated calculation is only for the native vr?

scottb9239 likes this.
  23. scottb9239

scottb9239

I'm not sure sorry, I moved over to the native VR some time ago (sorry for the late reply).

24. barcode802

barcode802

Does anyone know if this is still an issue? We are finding with 5.2.1 and Gear VR on S6 that turning occlusion culling on doesn't appear to make any difference for frame rate.

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Try 5.3.2 patch 2, under patch releases.

26. scottb9239

scottb9239

Occlusion Culling has been working well for a while now, since 5.1.3P1 (as mentioned above) and maybe a bit faster since then too. :)