Search Unity

[Occlusion Culling] Multi scene support for occlusion culling

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pixelsplit, Jan 17, 2017.

1. pixelsplit

pixelsplit

Hi,

in 5.5 Unity got the feature "Multi scene support for occlusion culling".

Here is what I expected:
    I can openScene A, bake Occlusion Culling. Then open separate Scene B bake occlusion culling. After that I expected occlusion culling to work, when loading Scene B (additive).

However: It does not seem to work in this way. If I do it like this occlusion culling won't work.

How is this feature meant? Any thing in particular which has to be set up?

Best regards
    zkw

2. jbonastre

jbonastre

3. pixelsplit

pixelsplit

For us baking OC for some placeholder in our "Master" scene (which loads all the other stuff) didn't do the trick :( Can any one from the Unity guys clarify how all this is intended?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  4. jbonastre

jbonastre

You should add a cube and a plane, for example, and bake the scene. Remove the cube and the plane and it should be working fine.

5. pixelsplit

pixelsplit

We did that and it didn't do the job. But yesterday I found another thread where they mentioned that all this is not intended. The current implementation is: Load all scenes into your "Loader scene", bake and then the "Loader Scene" Occlusion Culling File will be referenced and usable by all the other scenes. But no on-the-run merging of different occlusion culling files.

6. awesomedata

awesomedata

That's bad news for large worlds where your PC can't handle loading them all at once. :(

Is there another way in case your hardware can't handle the world size?

7. orrbain

orrbain

So let's say I have my "Loader" scene. And then I have different groupings of scenes, where for example Group A has 3 scenes that all share the same world space, but then Group B has 2 scenes that aren't loaded at the same time as Group A (and may actually overlap Group A's world space) -- what then?

Do I have to have a separate loader scene for each Scene Group? Or is there a better way to do this?

8. hectorux

hectorux

Maybe the ocllusion culling is on the active scene. If you change it, you may have its oclusion culling

9. ImproxGames

ImproxGames

Tried it, doesn't work. The OC data is kept from the scene that was loaded first.

awesomedata likes this.
  10. radiantboy

radiantboy

just discovering this now on 2021.1.1 any solution? I thought it would like the original post describes, why doesnt it load associated ocullusion data when it loads new scene?

11. awesomedata

awesomedata

Still wondering about this in 2021.

Also, @Unity, is there a workaround where we can manually specify the occlusion file baking ourselves as a workaround?

12. radiantboy

radiantboy

Seems like you just turn everything on, bake occlusion then load additively and they all use it.

13. awesomedata

awesomedata

The problem is -- What am I supposed to do when no machine I can purchase can handle turning everything on (i.e. just to bake lightmaps or occlusion?)

14. radiantboy

radiantboy

Yeah then it gets difficult, mine is tough but I have 128 gig. Still there could be bigger games. Its a silly solution for sure.

awesomedata likes this.
  15. gilley033

gilley033

Bumping from 2024. Maybe in 2028 we will get some insight/updates?