Search Unity

Occlusion Culling in 4.3

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Brenden-Frank, Nov 13, 2013.

1. ShiftingBits

ShiftingBits

I'm curious if I have run into the same problem described here or if it's some other issue:

I have a scene that includes lights along a 2D plane (it's a 2D platformer with 3D geometry) and I currently do not have any lightmapping set up. When I enable Occlusion Culling for the level geometry, it culls the geometry correctly, however, all of my lights go out. If I zoom the camera in (from about 60 units away to 20), the lights pop back in. Obviously there's a reason I want the camera out that far, but no settings in Occlusion Culling or Quality (for shadow distances) seem to fix the problem. Without Occlusion Culling enabled, everything works as expected, albeit at a slower framerate due to lack of culling. :(

Does this look like the same issue with Occlusion Culling disabling the lights or should I keep digging?

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm on Unity v4.3.4f1

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. MakeCodeNow

MakeCodeNow

In case anyone here is still interested in alternatives to Umbra, I recently released SECTR VIS, which is a dynamic, portal based occlusion culling system. I wrote it in part due to frustrations with bugs/documentation/etc in Umbra, so perhaps it will interest others here. It does best in scenes that are built out of rooms and doors, but does support occluders for larger spaces and outdoor games. There's definitely a CPU cost to doing occlusion culling in C#, but VIS gives you a lot of control over the granularity of culling, so that you can trade off culling time vs rendering time. Anyway, if you're interested, check out the site or email support@makecodenow.com for an eval.

3. cjow

cjow

Announcement of Unity5 has left me pretty fearful for the promised fixes for OC. Can anyone confirm if there will still be a patch before Unity5 release containing the fixes for OC or not? It's pretty game breaking and very disappointing that it's taken this long to release already.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  4. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

They did say the new GUI system will be coming in 4.6, which means they are still working on the 4.x releases. As Griautis said, the bug is fixed, they just have to publish the new version to their site.