Search Unity

Observation Ray-cast

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by cabesd, Jun 24, 2020.

1. cabesd

cabesd

Hi all,
    The question I have is just to re-confirm my findings.

So if I use an environment (say from the examples folders given in the MLAgents repo) that uses ray casts as their observations, seems to be necessary to have the rendering ON (no_graphics parameters for the UnityEnvironment instantiation)?

In other words, if I turn off rendering, the received observations are all garbage or what are they? I'm running on the cloud thus I have the rendering off and I intuitively think that no rendering will make the environment less computationally expensive (is that true also?).

Thanks in advance.

2. MrWetsnow

MrWetsnow

Based on answers in other threads, you can only use the no-graphics parameter if you are NOT doing ray casting.

3. ervteng_unity

ervteng_unity

Unity Technologies

You CAN turn off graphics (using --no-graphics) when using raycasts (very useful for server training!). However, if you're using Camera or RenderTexture observations, turning off rendering will cause an error.

ailuropoda0 likes this.
  4. cabesd

cabesd

Got it. Thanks ervteng for the clarification.

Following what you are saying, then using Camera or RenderTextures with --no-graphics will cause an explicit runtime error (environment to stop running) or the environment will run normally and we would have implicit problems with the learning?

Many thanks.

5. ervteng_unity

ervteng_unity

Unity Technologies

I believe it will cause an explicit runtime error and the game will either freeze/crash. But haven't tested it in a while.

6. MrWetsnow

MrWetsnow

Thank you for the clarification :)