Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Obnoxious amount of progress bars and interruptions in 2021.1.11

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by neginfinity, Aug 1, 2021.

1. neginfinity

neginfinity

I've used 2021.1.11 to make a small test application, and I was surprised to discover how often the editor interrupts me with some progress bar.

upload_2021-8-1_3-32-13.png

Basically, if I modify a bit of source code in VS Code, then when I alt tab back into unity, I'll be greeted with a lengthy progress bar
    upload_2021-8-1_3-32-51.png
    "Reload script assemblies" --> "compiling scripts" --> "Inspector.Tick", etc. A few seconds.

When I then click "Play" there's another interrupting window with a progress bar, this time "Application.Reload".
    Also a few seconds but can take as many as 15 seconds or a full minute on a larger projects.

I'm on a SATA ssd, by the way, and older versions did not behave this way. I don't recall what they did, but pressing play was almost instant, and script rebuild was immediate, and using hot reload was a plausible way to work with things, and that was on inferior hardware.

Here, at the moment the amount of interruptions, waiting time while staring at a progress bar is so high that it starts resembling development of C++ code in Unreal Engine, where you do as much as possible before hitting compile, because the compile can be long, due to the engine using C++.

I'm not sure what the heck changed, but I definitely would prefer previous behavior, where the irritating progress bar weren't so common.

Antypodish, Hikiko66 and shikhrr like this.
  2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Also getting this

3. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Antypodish likes this.
  4. altepTest

altepTest

This is a known and very annoying issue that we have no fix for it

here is an extensive thread with various reports and some possible solutions that may or may not work for you

https://forum.unity.com/threads/lots-of-busy-hold-on-etc.833644/page-10

here is unity dev asking for feedback and bug reports related with this issue. If possible please do what they ask there maybe we can finally manage to fix this damn bug

https://forum.unity.com/threads/editor-progress-bar-stalls-request-for-bug-reports.1137817/