Search Unity

Oblivion (Movie) style UI in Unity

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Shwashbuckle, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Shwashbuckle

Shwashbuckle

Hi,

This is not really a specific question, more about seeking general advice. As a personal project I would like to see if I could create a UI that is similar in style and function to that in the movie Oblivion, including the loading initialisation animations and the advanced looking canvas transitions and fade outs. To see what I mean see the video below:

I guess my question is more centred around workflow and process, that is would creating something like this for a real world functional game or application be better built in another package other than unity and then animations imported or could unity provide the level of functionality required natively within its builder? I'm still quite new to Unity so unsure to what extent it can go.

Really interested in people thoughts here, if it would be possible to build something like this directly out of Unity what approaches or methods would work best?

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

I remember being impressed with the UI when I saw the movie. Looking back on that clip, it's still nice, but I think a lot of it had to do with camerawork.

When you break it down, each readout is pretty simple. You could do all of this in Unity UI fairly easily. Some parts, such as the audio equalizers and the wireframe display of the drone model, would probably be easier to do programmatically in Unity than non-programmatically in an external tool.

3. Shwashbuckle

Shwashbuckle

Thanks TonyLi, yeah camera work could be a factor, movies tend to make things look slicker than they really are sometimes. I found another video that explained some of the process for Oblivion, the static UI comps were created in Adobe illustrator and the UI animations were created in Adobe After Effects. I'm still getting my head around the Unity UI so I probably just need to spend more time experimenting and hitting the tutorials. Its a pity most of the UI tutorials (that I have viewed so far) are really basic and don't use very inspiring art work.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/ae-me/how-after-effects-was-used-on-oblivion/