Search Unity

Question Objects pick wrong light probes

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by LottaCG, Sep 4, 2020.

1. LottaCG

LottaCG

This is driving me crazy. My scene has some complex shadows that I try to trace with light probes. But then objects just pick three random probes that are not close at all, and I end up with wild lighting results. I'm new to light baking and GI and I have no idea how to fix this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

upload_2020-9-4_16-31-54.png

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's because you have a degenerate tetrahedron as the probe aren't aligned, so it create a flat concavity shape below your group, check the top right image. I would say try to make all lightprobe on the same height, actually the same height.

3. LottaCG

LottaCG

Thanks for the response! Does this mean I'm screwed when the terrain has height differences? Do you know if there's any way around this? (other than flattening the terrain, that's not an option unfortunately)

4. neoshaman

neoshaman

If teh terrain has height difference, so will active object poaching from the lightprobe, ie they won't get into the degenerate tetra. The ground is flat, the light probe should be too.

5. LottaCG

LottaCG

Hmm that's not my experience.

6. neoshaman

neoshaman

I'm saying, place the probe so you can't have the active gameobject position out of the proper tetra

7. LottaCG

LottaCG

Unfortunately I would have to place, my probes underneath the terrain for that, since I have a lot of rocks that are submerged. I'm starting to get a better feel of where unwanted tetrahedons might emerge but if it keeps giving me trouble I might just ask someone to write me a new probe system haha. Thanks for the input!

8. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's probably because the objects sample the lightmap from their root position, and that root is too low. Try with objectsvwhere the root isn't that low or find a way to shift the root sampling.