Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Objects heavy on the engine

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by warrenbrandt, Feb 22, 2023.

1. warrenbrandt

warrenbrandt

Hi Guys,

Am experimenting with a 3D follow flyer where the player flies past various buildings. I got models off a website, some buildings, some are fbx and others obj. I added a mesh collider to them and instantiated about 60 to 80 of them. But when i run the game on my phone it is very laggy and stutters. The background is a skybox and im using a terrain, there is nothing really else in the scene, why does the game seem so heavy and what can i do to remedy this? I guess mesh colliders will be heavier than box or capsule, maybe i will try t

2. rdjadu

rdjadu

How heavy are these buildings in terms of polycount?

3. Homicide

Homicide

Well, there is a lot of absent information here to really dig into performance issues.

What RP are you using, as that will affect the base performance cost before you even get started. HDRP has a much higher overhead than the standard pipeline, for eg.

Also, total lights, shadows, and lightmaps can be something to look into. Im being very vague here, because the reality is, when it comes to preformance, theres just so many things that actually could cause those frames to be eaten up real quick. Not excluding, your own scripts. (or others scripts if you followed a tutorial or something of the sorts).

GL

JoeStrout likes this.