Search Unity

Bug Objects far from the center of the map

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ciorbyn, Aug 12, 2020.

1. ciorbyn

ciorbyn

I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but I can't find anything about it.

For the first time I'm creating a game with a big map and a huge problem has emerged that occurs in all versions of unity that I tried from 2018 to 2019.

Basically the further you move away from the center ( point 0,0,0 ) the more all the elements like rigidbody and canvas become unstable.

Everything shakes.

Thinking it was my problem with the scripts I tried other driving scripts and they give the same problem.

Have any of you had the same problem and do you know how to solve it?

2. cLick1338

cLick1338

These are issues caused by floating point error. The classic solution is implementing a form of "floating origin". It's an "old" issue many engines and developers have to deal with.

3. ciorbyn

ciorbyn

Having never developed big maps, I never had this problem.

Do you mean something like this?
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Floating_Origin

Oh man, moving the whole world is going to cost a lot :eek:o_O

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  4. ciorbyn

ciorbyn

Among other things, this method does not allow static objects to be fixed and as a result they get lost, bake, occlusion culling and all that comes with it.

Not to mention the particles when you cross the threshold.

I had read by many developers that Unity wasn't good for openworld games and today I got confirmation.

I don't understand why the developers have never implemented and corrected this problem, new unnecessary features are added every year but many vital aspects are still ignored.

This is a big problem I've wasted months of work and now I'll have to switch to another Engine.
    Unfortunately Unity is only good for 2D or Small games.

Goodbye Unity.