Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice

Objects are trying to be loaded during a domain backup.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by LootlabGames, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Jakermake

Jakermake

Out of nowhere this error showed up on my editor. Two times when I hit play button.

It might be related to Addressables package. One of my Localization tables was not working at all, when I checked it the "addressable" tick was disabled (on its children assets as well).

So there's something going on with Addressables package for sure. In my case the error doesn't lead anywhere when clicked.

2. Jakermake

Jakermake

In case this helps anyone. I had it disabled, but I enabled it, hit play and stop, disabled it, hit play and stop. Quit Unity (and Unity Hub). And error is vanished.

If it comes back I'll update this post.

Officialsteve likes this.
  3. oooRESooo

oooRESooo

It also comes with 2022.1.16f1

4. xVergilx

xVergilx

Would be nice to have a stacktrace (or object name / type at least) to be able to figure out what's causing this.

Otherwise its pretty impossible in a large project to find out what's causing this error to pop up.

In my case, it doesn't introduce anything anything bad. Still, annoying console spam is annoying.

SunnysideGames likes this.
  5. BindingForceDev

BindingForceDev

I dunno if this helps, but I am having this pop up twice after play mode finishes executing. I cannot find a setting to get a more extensive log, simply:

"Objects are trying to be loaded during a domain backup. This is not allowed as it will lead to undefined behaviour!"

Using 2021.3.0f1

6. sp1owlmightyg

sp1owlmightyg

Happens to me as well in 2021.3.11.01f and I think it blocks me from using Simple IAP Store plugin. Help!

7. opsive

opsive

We just spent a lot of hours trying to figure out what was causing this error in our project. In our situation the error was caused by a missing prefab reference within a [SerializeReference] object. I guess Unity doesn't know how to print a more helpful debug message with [SerializeReference].

8. serpin

serpin

Similar observation here on Unity 2021.3.7f1 LTS. What I did was un-tick and then tick back the "Addressable" checkbox on the prefab that had the component on which I have a ISerializationCallbackReceiver.OnBeforeSerialize() processor that suddenly started throwing errors on this harmless line (of course this is done after all null checks and stuff):

if (UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.GetPrefabAssetType(this) != UnityEditor.PrefabAssetType.Regular) return;

But then after a couple Plays/Stops it came back.

Then, I stumbled upon this post:

Interesting. I had two objects with the "offending" component that referenced a ScriptableObject of MyType from project assets. I deleted one of those from the scene and recreated it from prefab (and then specified the same reference to an SO asset). Error went away for a while but came back.

But then on 12.10.2022 I tried E_Urban's suggestion (see below
    ) by adding check
    !EditorApplication.isUpdating
    and so far so good. Thank you for the heads-up about this useful EditorApplication directive!

Update 17.10.2022: A week of daily development has passed and
    !EditorApplication.isUpdating
    did solve the issue for me, the error never came back.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    DouglasPotesta likes this.
  9. E_Urban

E_Urban

In my project this error appears to come from calling CoreUtils.Destroy(material) in the Cleanup method in an HDRP Custom Pass. Using Unity 2021.3.6f1

I was able to stop this from happening when entering playmode by encasing the cleanup with this if statement:

Code (CSharp):
    1. protected override void Cleanup()
    2. {
    3. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    4. if (!EditorApplication.isPlayingOrWillChangePlaymode && !EditorApplication.isUpdating || Application.isPlaying)
    5. #endif
    6.      CoreUtils.Destroy(material);
    7. }
    Seems like the CustomPass base class is calling Cleanup() when it shouldn't be.

!EditorApplication.isUpdating prevents the call during domain reloading.

(!EditorApplication.isPlayingOrWillChangePlaymode || Application.isPlaying) prevents the call when entering playmode, but still allows cleanup during playmode.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    PaulUsul, xVergilx and serpin like this.
  10. nasos_333

nasos_333

This is Unity bug, maybe be fixed at some point but like the camera zero issue may never be fixed.

11. mnbv369001

mnbv369001

I tried Restarting to fix this temporarily, but not sure if it will work in the long term.

12. lassade

lassade

I was having the this "Objects are trying to be loaded during a domain backup." they where triggered by GameObjects instantiated in the scene, to fix it used this:

Code (CSharp):
    2. // True if the gameObject is the object is instantiated inside a scene
    3. [SerializeField]
    4. bool m_Instantiated = false;
    6. protected bool inPrefabEditMode
    7. {
    8.     get
    9.     {
    10. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    11.         return PrefabStageUtility.GetPrefabStage(gameObject) != null;
    12. #else
    13.         return false;
    14. #endif
    15.     }
    16. }
    18. protected bool isPrefab
    19. {
    20.     get
    21.     {
    22. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    23.         var prefabType = PrefabUtility.GetPrefabAssetType(gameObject);
    24.         var prefabStatus = PrefabUtility.GetPrefabInstanceStatus(gameObject);
    25.         if (prefabType == PrefabAssetType.NotAPrefab) return false;
    26.         return prefabStatus == PrefabInstanceStatus.NotAPrefab;
    27. #else
    28.         return false;
    29. #endif
    30.     }
    31. }
    33. protected virtual void OnEnable()
    34. {
    35. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    36.     // must be done in OnEnable
    37.     if (!EditorApplication.isPlayingOrWillChangePlaymode)
    38.     {
    39.         var so = new SerializedObject(this);
    40.         so.FindProperty(nameof(m_Instantiated)).boolValue = gameObject.scene.IsValid() && !inPrefabEditMode;
    41.         so.ApplyModifiedProperties();
    42.     }
    43. #endif
    44. }
    46. public virtual void OnAfterDeserialize()
    47. { }
    49. public virtual void OnBeforeSerialize()
    50. {
    51. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    52.     // if (isPrefab || inPrefabEditMode) // error is caused by a call to `PrefabUtility.GetPrefabAssetType(gameObject)` inside isPrefab
    53.     if (!m_Instantiated)
    54.     {
    55.         // call your code here
    56.     }
    57. #endif
    58. }

13. horatiu665

horatiu665

I don't know how the hell you figured it out but this worked for me. For now, let's see if the error comes back again later. Thanks!

14. ChiuanWei

ChiuanWei

i always got this error. but don't know why...:(

15. SmartGamesLive

SmartGamesLive

I had this issue also on Unity version 2021.3.11f1(LTS) on a Mac, when hitting the play button I got 2 "Objects are being loaded during a domain backup..." error logs. In my case, it was a shader graph editor window that was open when hitting the play button. After closing the shader editor window the error did not show up again.

Tamarooshia likes this.
  16. ChrisMaster

ChrisMaster

I had this issue on 2021.3.11f1 on PC, deleting libraries fixed it for me.

17. Reisender

Reisender

Oh my goodness... this was exactly the issue!

I was having this annoying error in my code; I found out it was happening when I tried to call 'Resources.Load' from 'OnBeforeSerialize', and the solution was precisely to check if an assembly reload was occurring.

For anyone interested, here's my code: https://github.com/edcasillas/unity...ad3..db3dfc4f67768ebf522ec38a0c936bc463e6fd1c

I created a small class to easily check when the assembly is being reloaded and just write
    if(AssemblyReloadUtil.IsReloading) return;
    before the offending code. This class is available in my repo if you want to use it: https://github.com/edcasillas/unity-common-utils

TimSwann, Gooren and bjarkeck like this.
  18. BindingForceDev

BindingForceDev

I'm running 2021.3.0f1 and I have this issue when I have any ShaderGraph tabs open in the editor. Closing the open ShaderGraph tabs solved this issue for me. I hope this helps others!

Infinite-3D, Txakal, poka_ and 2 others like this.
  19. Idle_Splash

Idle_Splash

I'm just upgeraded to 2021.3.16f1 and getting this error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Objects are trying to be loaded during a domain backup. This is not allowed as it will lead to undefined behaviour!
    3. #0 GetStacktrace(int)
    4. #1 DebugStringToFile(DebugStringToFileData const&)
    5. #2 PersistentManager::RegisterPartiallyLoadedObjectInternal(int)
    6. #3 PersistentManager::ReadObject(int, AwakeFromLoadMode)
    7. #4 PPtr<Object>::operator Object*() const
    8. #5 EditorBuildSettings_CUSTOM_GetConfigObject(ScriptingBackendNativeStringPtrOpaque*)
    9. #6  (Mono JIT Code) (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEditor.EditorBuildSettings:GetConfigObject (string)
    10. #7  (Mono JIT Code) [EditorBuildSettings.bindings.cs:127] UnityEditor.EditorBuildSettings:TryGetConfigObject<T_REF> (string,T_REF&)
    11. #8  (Mono JIT Code) [LocalizationSettings.cs:682] UnityEngine.Localization.Settings.LocalizationSettings:GetInstanceDontCreateDefault ()
    12. #9  (Mono JIT Code) [LocalizationSettings.cs:96] UnityEngine.Localization.Settings.LocalizationSettings:get_HasSettings ()
    13. #10  (Mono JIT Code) [TableReference.cs:74] UnityEngine.Localization.Tables.TableReference:get_SharedTableData ()
    14. #11  (Mono JIT Code) [TableReference.cs:66] UnityEngine.Localization.Tables.TableReference:get_TableCollectionName ()
    15. #12  (Mono JIT Code) [TableReference.cs:188] UnityEngine.Localization.Tables.TableReference:GetSerializedString ()
    16. #13  (Mono JIT Code) [TableReference.cs:310] UnityEngine.Localization.Tables.TableReference:OnBeforeSerialize ()
    17. #14  (Mono JIT Code) (wrapper runtime-invoke) object:runtime_invoke_void__this__ (intptr&,intptr,intptr,intptr)
    18. #15 mono_jit_runtime_invoke
    19. #16 do_runtime_invoke
    20. #17 mono_runtime_invoke
    21. #18 scripting_method_invoke(ScriptingMethodPtr, ScriptingObjectPtr, ScriptingArguments&, ScriptingExceptionPtr*, bool)
    22. #19 ScriptingInvocation::Invoke(ScriptingExceptionPtr*, bool)
    23. #20 void InvokeMethod<StreamedBinaryWrite>(SerializationCommandArguments const&, RuntimeSerializationCommandInfo&)
    24. #21 void Transfer_ManagedObject<StreamedBinaryWrite, false>(SerializationCommandArguments const&, RuntimeSerializationCommandInfo&)
    25. #22 void Transfer_ManagedObject<StreamedBinaryWrite, false>(SerializationCommandArguments const&, RuntimeSerializationCommandInfo&)
    26. #23 void TransferScriptingObject<StreamedBinaryWrite>(StreamedBinaryWrite&, ScriptingObjectPtr, ScriptingClassPtr, SerializationCache::Data*&)::'lambda'(bool, bool)::operator()(bool, bool) const
    27. #24 void TransferScriptingObject<StreamedBinaryWrite>(StreamedBinaryWrite&, ScriptingObjectPtr, ScriptingClassPtr, SerializationCache::Data*&)
    28. #25 SerializableManagedRefBackupGenerator::ExtractBackupFromInstance(Object*, SerializableManagedRef&, BackupState&, TransferInstructionFlags)
    29. #26 void SerializableManagedRefTransfer::BackupAndDeflateManagedReferences<SerializableManagedRefBackupGenerator>(Object*, SerializableManagedRef&, bool)
    30. #27 SerializableManagedRefsUtilities::BackupAndDeflateAll(DomainReloadingData&)
    31. #28 MonoManager::BeginReloadAssembly(DomainReloadingData&)
    32. #29 MonoManager::ReloadAssembly()
    33. #30 Internal_ADB_Only_ReloadAllUsedAssemblies()
    34. #31 RefreshInternalV2(AssetDatabase::UpdateAssetOptions, ScanFilter const&, InternalRefreshFlagsV2)
    35. #32 StopAssetImportingV2Internal(AssetDatabase::UpdateAssetOptions, InternalRefreshFlagsV2, ScanFilter const*, char const*)
    36. #33 RefreshV2(AssetDatabase::UpdateAssetOptions)
    37. #34 AssetDatabase::Refresh(AssetDatabase::UpdateAssetOptions)
    38. #35 CallbackArray::Invoke()
    39. #36 ProfilerCallbackInvoke<CallbackArray, &(GlobalCallbacks::tickEditor)>::Invoke(char const*)
    40. #37 Application::TickTimer()
    41. #38 -[EditorApplication TickTimer]
    42. #39 __NSFireTimer
    43. #40 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__
    44. #41 __CFRunLoopDoTimer
    45. #42 __CFRunLoopDoTimers
    46. #43 __CFRunLoopRun
    47. #44 CFRunLoopRunSpecific
    48. #45 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode
    49. #46 ReceiveNextEventCommon
    50. #47 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter
    51. #48 _DPSNextEvent
    52. #49 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:]
    53. #50 -[EditorApplication checkForFocusChange:]
    54. #51 __NSFireTimer
    55. #52 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__
    56. #53 __CFRunLoopDoTimer
    57. #54 __CFRunLoopDoTimers
    58. #55 __CFRunLoopRun
    59. #56 CFRunLoopRunSpecific
    60. #57 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode
    61. #58 ReceiveNextEventCommon
    62. #59 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter
    63. #60 _DPSNextEvent
    64. #61 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:]
    65. #62 -[NSApplication run]
    66. #63 NSApplicationMain
    67. #64 EditorMain(int, char const**)
    68. #65 main
    69. #66 ???

20. JeffreyBennett

JeffreyBennett

I'm using 2021.3.8f1 and not using Odin. I was suddenly having the issue, but closing a Shader Graph window seems to have removed the error messages from the console for me (at least for the moment).

PRodi_ likes this.
  21. JackAidley

JackAidley

This works for me. Narrowing it down further it starts happening when I open a GameObject that references that particular shader in the editor and carries on happening until I open the properties for the shader referenced in the editor.

22. himanshukrishnay12

himanshukrishnay12

Restarting The Editor fixed the problem.

23. r2823896

r2823896

I fixed this bug by disable custom pass volume gameobject,when game start I active this gameobject。

Attached Files:

24. unity_528A23667D99B4E4E1EA

unity_528A23667D99B4E4E1EA

You Can Fix It By Go To the -Project Setting>Editor>and Finding for Enter Play Mode Option Or Reload Domain. Just Enable it Run the scene and disable it again and that is all it resolves the error for me. (unity 2022.3.10f1)

25. SunnysideGames

SunnysideGames

Well, at long last, I'm not getting anymore the error since I upgraded to Unity 2021.3.17f1 :D

Before that, and for a year, the console was throwing up loads and loads of "Objects are trying to be loaded during a domain backup" everytime a script was reloaded.

I found this line in the changelog (for 2021.3.17f1, 2022.2.2f1 and 2023.1.0a21), seems to be related :
    • Asset Pipeline: Fixed an issue where the standalone profiler could crash or emit errors when the script domain reloads in the editor. (UUM-19179)
    If upgrading your Unity version doesn't fix your issue, it might be a good idea to vote for having a detailed log in the issue tracker:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-on-what-objects-caused-the-error-when-thrown

Cheers!

26. richardNXRT

richardNXRT

this worked for me

PRodi_ and Gravesend like this.
  27. TCYeh

TCYeh

I am encountering the same issue in Unity LTS release 2021.3.8f1 with the Localization and Addressable packages installed, but without Shader Graph and Odin.

The issue started when I upgraded from version 2020.3.27 to 2021.3.8 and rebuilt the Addressable Group. Since then, every time I click the Play button, an error message pops up with the following text: "Objects are trying to be loaded during a domain backup. This is not allowed as it will lead to undefined behaviour!", but without any stack trace.

I have already tried deleting both the Library and AddressableAsset folders, but neither of them solved the issue.

I suspect that something went wrong during the upgrade, but I am unsure because there is no additional information in the logs.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  28. TCYeh

TCYeh

Update: I successfully reproduced the issue by creating a new project with the same content, upgrading it from 2020.3.27 to 2021.3.8, and then rebuilding the Addressable Group.

I'm going to report this bug. Hope that there will be some progresso_O

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    angrypenguin likes this.
  29. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Nice, @TCYeh. Have you confirmed whether or not it happens if you make a new project in 2021.3.8 with that project, without upgrading it from 2020.3.x?

30. TCYeh

TCYeh

Ok, just made a few more tests.
    If I import the whole content, including Localization and Addressable settings from the project with the error to a brand new 2021.3.8 project, the error maintain.
    However, if I only export scripts and sprites, and set up Localization and Addressable settings from the beginning the error disappears.

angrypenguin likes this.
  31. ArunPrakasam

ArunPrakasam

Error:
    ##
    Objects are trying to be loaded during a domain backup. This is not allowed as it will lead to undefined behaviour!
    UnityEditor.Graphing.GraphObject:OnBeforeSerialize ()
    ##

for me its gone..
    sol: open any custom Shader graph, play the game then stop the game.
    now close Shader graph window...
    again play the game...

comealong and yenzminnaert like this.
  32. Sedt

Sedt

I had this error when I made a new project and moved all my assets to the new project.

The way it was solved was by removing the custom layout that I had created in other projects and closing and opening unity again.

xucian likes this.
  33. xucian

xucian

so no official position on this? why is the issue "under consideration" since Sep 19, 2022?

34. ZedCxs

ZedCxs

The way I fixed this error: Originally I new a Material in CustomPass.Setup(). Now I new this Material in a MonoBehaviour.OnEnable() to fixed this error. Both of them are call in a [ExecuteAlways] MonoBehaviour when not playing. I get this error when compile scripts or enter play mode.

35. Txakal

Txakal

Thanks! I had he exact same problem when I updated to 2022.3.1f1; solved after simply closing the ShaderGraph tab.

36. Nick_J_art

Nick_J_art

I'm having this error in Unity 2022.3.4f1, Tried everything, No solution at all, not even when tried to delete custom shader graphs, objects with custom shaders, uninstalling ShaderGraph or anything (I'm saying this because this error appeared once i tried to make my own shader with ShaderGraph) everything is configured correctly, no missing references or assets, no logical errors in any script, everything is just fine but this error does show up anyway.

Although, this error doesn't prevent the game from running or building correctly.

The error says the following:

Objects are trying to be loaded during a domain backup. This is not allowed as it will lead to undefined behaviour!

UnityEditor.Graphing.GraphObject:OnBeforeSerialize ()

Everytime i get 4 to 32 messages, each and everyone leading to the same line of code in "SerializableTexture.cs" and "SerializableMesh.cs"

SerializableTexture.cs line of code:

imagen_2023-07-09_145653784.png

SerializableMesh.cs line of code:

imagen_2023-07-09_145730992.png

xucian likes this.
  37. Demexis

Demexis

This problem arose after I deleted some materials. It was as if something inside the engine was still referencing them, causing the errors to appear when the game was launched. Reimporting all the assets helped.

38. anilsayar

anilsayar

Same here. I knew that this issue arose after I played with shadergraphs. As mentioned above, I closed all the shadergraph tabs, saved the project, and restarted Unity. The problem is gone (for now).

lookdad likes this.
  39. serhatkeremtufan

serhatkeremtufan

I had this problem with my shader graph and after i clicked compile and showcode button on it, it soldev problem itself

40. witson

witson

I opened the editor.log and there I saw that the error was only caused by /Library/PackageCache/com.unity.shadergraph@17.0.0/Editor/Data/Graphs/SerializableTexture.cs like in Nick_J_art post.

Then i did this changes:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         public void OnBeforeSerialize()
    2.         {
    3.             //m_SerializedTexture = EditorJsonUtility.ToJson(new TextureHelper { texture = texture }, false);
    4.         }
    5.         public void OnAfterDeserialize()
    6.         {
    7.             //I borrowed this line from above
    8.             m_SerializedTexture = EditorJsonUtility.ToJson(new TextureHelper { texture = texture }, false);
    9.         }
    For now the problem is gone, at least there are no more errors in the console, and the game works as it should. I don’t know how much this will damage the whole logic, but then I’ll just return it as it was

UPD

After entering the editor, all shadergraph nodes stopped working and the materials turned pink. I returned it as it was, everything worked, and the errors disappeared, apparently temporarily, but at least it was something.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  41. lemapp

lemapp

My solution was to use Unity's rebuild feature. From the Assets menu, I selected Reimport All. It solve the issue for me.

xucian likes this.
  42. leodar163

leodar163

This thread on reddit suggests that shader graph is to blame for this error. I was abble to make the error disapear simply by loading an other scene, then come back to my main one. But I also tried all the suggestions of the reddit thread before. That's all I can say.

xucian likes this.
  43. Tamarooshia

Tamarooshia

This solved my headache

44. unity_B4086D0566B1E55760F1

unity_B4086D0566B1E55760F1

• I had a similar problem, but I apparently had a different reason. I decided this way