Search Unity

Objects and Scripts not showing up after loading project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by derbish_unity, Oct 23, 2018.

1. derbish_unity

derbish_unity

Whenever I load a project that I had been working on before, no objects show up in the scene view, save the background. Objects are gone and anything that had a script on it before has the "cannot find the script" error.
    It doesn't work to re-import all, or to re-import assets, nor does batching my stuff out as a project and reloading it. The objects and scripts are all still in the hierarchy, so I don't understand whats happening.

Help please, I haven't been able to do much with unity, when I have to restart a project from scratch each time I start unity up fresh.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What errors in red do you have in the console?

3. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

As far as I'm aware, these issues should only happen if your scene (.unity), prefab (.prefab) or meta (.meta) files are not saved correctly or get corrupted.

Try this: Make a scene with a GameObject and a script attached and save it. Make a new scene with a different GameObject and different script and save that as a different scene. At this point, are you able to reload the first scene without restarting Unity? How about the second scene? Do both of them stop working after you restart Unity?

If the scenes do not work before restarting Unity: There is something wrong with either your Unity install, hard drive, OS, or something that prevents either scene, prefab, or meta files from being saved correctly. Try reinstalling Unity, and if it doesn't work, consider that something is wrong with your OS or hardware.

If the scenes work until you restart Unity: Something is modifying your files after you close Unity. Try going to "Edit -> Project Settings -> Editor" and changing your asset serialization mode to "Force Text". Next, use source control to commit your work while Unity is open and your work is saved, then restart Unity and see if there are any unexpected pending changes in source control.

Good luck!