Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Object repositioning after tracking lost and restored

Discussion in 'AR' started by pankao, Apr 2, 2019.

1. pankao

pankao

Hi everyone!
    I am using Unity ARFoundation in my project, basically to create a floor plans of indoor spaces. I am placing objects at the corners of the rooms. But when user enters poorly lit areas, the tracking may be lost and afterwards when it is recovered, the original positions of previously tracked objects get changed significantly (as the tracking starts over in a new location). When I then again point the camera at some previously tracked visual features in the real space, then after some (significant) amount of time previously tracked virtual objects get re-aligned with their original positions in the real space, but this just lasts for too long or sometimes even never happens at all, not speaking about that the user has to return back to already "known" visual environment for the re-alignment to happen.
    Is there any proper way to hande these situations? I need to keep the topology of the tracked floorplan consistent during the tracking session. I have tried using reference points with no success.
    Thanks for suggestions!

winstonmso likes this.
  2. tyinunity

tyinunity

fwiw, running into same problem on this end; any suggestions, forum gods? : )

3. winstonmso

winstonmso

I encounter the same problem as stated by OP. i am building some sort of office tour in AR but problem happens when i enter this room with shiny black tiles as floor and somehow the track points of the previous corridors all reoriented and ar content sort of just repositioned also. i tried by adding a button that disables the plane detection as soon as i have finalised the ar objects positioning so that im just viewing. however it still messed up as soon as i entered this poorly lit dark area, or when i point the camera upwards into the ceiling.