Search Unity

Object origin and hierarchy origin

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by adriank5, May 30, 2017.

1. adriank5

adriank5

Hello there, I'm having problems with a model I've created in Blender. It's a simple column, it works fine, the origin is in the very middle of the column and everything is cool inside Unity. I've also cell-fractured the same model into a lot of gibs without changing the origin and imported all of this into Unity again. Problem is that visually I see that the origin is still in the middle of the column, but when I reset the transform of the topmost empty object that binds all the gibs, the model somehow doesn't snap into the 0, 0, 0 position. I've heard that resetting will help but I can't reset every gib by hand because I don't have 500 years of time to re-align the gibs after that into their original positions. Picture shows the column and the gib-column with the problem.

Attached Files:

2. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

The red/green/blue arrows you use to drag an objects position in scene-view is not always at the object's origin. In the upper-left of your screenshot, see the buttons "center" and "local"? "Center" means the red/blue/green arrows will be on the center point of the selected object and it's children, not the origin. Click on "center" and it will change to "pivot", which means your red/blue/green arrows are now on the origin of the selected object.

sighless likes this.
  3. adriank5

adriank5

Well that's embarassing. Thanks for the help seems I didn't understand the difference between the center and pivot options, moved the origin of the model to the bottom before exporting and now everything seems to be fine. Thanks again mate!

4. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

No worries. With game engines as big and multi-purpose as Unity, it's inevitable that a built-in feature causes confusion at some point.