Search Unity

OBJECT MASKS AND SHADOWS WHEN OUTPUTTING UNITY MOVIE/IMAGES

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by mafuf5, Oct 27, 2021.

1. mafuf5

mafuf5

I usually, when recording a Unity movie of a car in a cycle environment (the camera moves around the car), use two different volumes so i can:

a: capture the car with all its color and reflections
    b: then use a 'dead' volume whereby the car is black, and the background white

I take this 'dead' movie into post and invert it, and i have my car mask. Similar process with making the shadow transparent (have to use Pshop here).

In Unity, is there a method whereby I can capture a true transparent background?

Thanks

2. akent99

akent99

I found this video on YouTube that appears to describe how you can do it (I have not used this approach myself).

In summary, you create a new camera for a specific layer (not all layers), then use the unity recorder to export using a targeted camera with a PNG image sequence. The PNG files have transparency, and you use a 3rd party tool to create a video file from that image sequence (pick a video file format that supports transparency!!). The video uses Photoshop, but I have done it with Adobe Media Encoder or Premier Pro directly (when experimenting with video quality without transparency).

3. mafuf5

mafuf5

Thanks heaps! I'll try it! I had a mega tight deadline so I had to think on the fly. What I did was make a new volume, loaded the HDRI slot with a completely black HDRI I made, used a little contrast in post-pro, then inverted this black and white Recorder movie in Fusion. Long-winded but this method above will be way better!