Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only. On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live. Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

OBJECT MASKS AND SHADOWS WHEN OUTPUTTING UNITY MOVIE/IMAGES

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by mafuf5, Oct 27, 2021.

1. mafuf5

mafuf5

I usually, when recording a Unity movie of a car in a cycle environment (the camera moves around the car), use two different volumes so i can:

a: capture the car with all its color and reflections
    b: then use a 'dead' volume whereby the car is black, and the background white

I take this 'dead' movie into post and invert it, and i have my car mask. Similar process with making the shadow transparent (have to use Pshop here).

In Unity, is there a method whereby I can capture a true transparent background?

Thanks

2. akent99

akent99

I found this video on YouTube that appears to describe how you can do it (I have not used this approach myself).

In summary, you create a new camera for a specific layer (not all layers), then use the unity recorder to export using a targeted camera with a PNG image sequence. The PNG files have transparency, and you use a 3rd party tool to create a video file from that image sequence (pick a video file format that supports transparency!!). The video uses Photoshop, but I have done it with Adobe Media Encoder or Premier Pro directly (when experimenting with video quality without transparency).

3. mafuf5

mafuf5

Thanks heaps! I'll try it! I had a mega tight deadline so I had to think on the fly. What I did was make a new volume, loaded the HDRI slot with a completely black HDRI I made, used a little contrast in post-pro, then inverted this black and white Recorder movie in Fusion. Long-winded but this method above will be way better!