Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Object invisible

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by htwarrior, Mar 17, 2006.

1. htwarrior

htwarrior

How do I make an objet invisible ? There are some objects that I want to make visible sometimes and sometimes not.

HTwarrior

2. dacloo

dacloo

Yes a good one! I looked it up after reading your post because I want my objects to flicker when they are hit (arcade style). It seems the mesh renderer does not take a show/hide parameter, and add/remove the mesh render component by scripting seems like a bad idea, performance wise.
    Anyone? :roll:

3. NCarter

NCarter

Strangely, 'renderer.active = false' doesn't seem to actually hide the object. Instead, it seems to deactivate the whole object and causes scripts to break. It'd be more useful if it did hide the object, or if there were some other property for controlling visibility.

I've been making objects disappear by moving them far out of the camera view (either behind the camera, or simply anywhere beyond the camera's far plane). That's great for things with no rigid body, but it's likely to mess up the simulation for objects which have one.

Here's another off-the-wall idea: maybe it's possible to hide an object by changing its material to one which uses a shader that causes the object to not be drawn. Not just to make it totally transparent, which is inefficient, but to stop it from being drawn altogether. Just a thought.

4. htwarrior

htwarrior

I think I will put my object far away from the camera view. Thanks
    Htwarrior

5. Sync1B

Sync1B

Well the best way to make a object invisible (i think) is to just change it to a layer that the camera is not seeing. You certainly dont break script that way.

Bill

6. NCarter

NCarter

Good point. I'm glad someone's awake, because I'm obviously not. ;)

7. Sync1B

Sync1B

You type while asleep!? Neil I knew you had many talents but _thats_ impressive.

Bill

8. madcalf

madcalf

How exactly could you do this? Can it be done with scripting? I'm trying to make an object that can be toggled visible/invisible based on the game state. Is there a way I can simply move it to an "invisibles" layer when it's invisible and then move it back to it's original layer when it's visible?

thanx!
    d

9. NCarter

NCarter

You just have to set the GameObject's layer property to the number of the layer you want it to be in:

Code (csharp):
    1. gameObject.layer = 9;
    Look in Edit->Project Settings->Tags to figure out which number to use for each layer.

10. madcalf

madcalf

Thanx! This did the trick. Nice idea to switch between a layer that the camera doesn't see.

11. Marble

Marble

I have to dig up this thread to ask if there's a way to make an object invisible in the editor as well. I have a large controller object that kind of gets in the way when I want to see things (but it needs to be there). Any suggestions?

12. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

In Unity 1.5, the scene view has the layers popup - by default all layers are visible. But you can turn any of them off.

13. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

For making an object become invisible, you can just disable the renderer.

from scripting: renderer.enabled = false;

This will only change the object's visibility. It will still get update calls etc...

14. Marble

Marble

Great. Thanks guys.