Search Unity

Object distance and combining AR + VR

Discussion in 'AR' started by synok, Aug 26, 2019.

1. synok

synok

Hello! Long time no seen...

Got interested in AR with Unity so decided to try it out even though it was ages I used Unity. Got a project with AR Foundation to work. Great! But there are some slight preferences I would like to bring up.

1. I place an object but even though it might be placed further away, it seems to be super close. Let me explain: I can walk to it and everything looks to be working fine. But I put my hand in front of the camera, and no matter how, there does not seem to be a "real" distance. You are welcome to slap your forehead now, but I have actually seen apps which "kinda" measures distance. Maybe I got it all wrong.

2. I was thinking about buying one of these cheap VR headsets. Simply what I want to do is to see my model in AR, but I want to have it side-by-side, so I dont have to hold my phone, if that is possible? Tried Cardboard VR alongside AR Foundation but I guess it messed up the AR tracking. Not sure if that is possible either.

I have done my best to search on Google without any result so far, so anybody knows if I can do it?

Thanks. :)