Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our response to Improbable’s blog post (and why you can keep working on your SpatialOS game). Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Object count insanity!!!!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tawdry, Jan 10, 2019 at 9:09 AM.

1. tawdry

tawdry

Hi
    Why does unity have a fit with large amounts of objects is there a hard coded thing or does the power of the user computer come into play. For instance if i create a million empties and press play unity will crash whats the cause of this ?Would a more powerful computer be able to handle more objects or is the limit exist with unity itself?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 4:43 PM
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

A million objects? What is the real issue that you are having?

3. tawdry

tawdry

Just stress testing but why does unity struggle with a million empties I would think they they should not have any noticible impact So what is the process when dealing with an object even an empty one?And if i had a supercuputer could i far exceed this test or is unity the bottleneck here?

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Perhaps if you shared your code or tried on a different computer using a binary search approach to see where it falls over you might be able to determine. In the meantime, you might consider using the Unity Profiler https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Profiler.html

5. Peter77

Peter77

You might be interested to take a look at the following thread. GameObject's are very costly and the editor starts to surrender when using a few ten-thousands:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/5-6...e-of-open-savescene-and-enterplaymode.447500/

Related issue-tracker item:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/non-linear-editor-performance-of-savescene-and-enterplaymode

I believe Unity's entity component system is solving this issue, but it's only in preview at the time of writing. As far as I remember, this talk mentions the "megacity" scene contains millions of entities.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  6. tawdry

tawdry

Hey Jeff
    there was no code it was a blank scene and I just duplicated an empty a million or so times.

7. tawdry

tawdry

Hi Peter
    Yea I saw that video but I'm using 5.66 so ecs is never coming my way at least not in the foreseeable future

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Not my point. Point was to compare. But it's not needed now, we got our answer!