Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

OBJ Object with wrong pivot in Unity

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Silveralby, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Silveralby

Silveralby

Hi guys, I don't know if it's the right place, but I am showing you my problem. I have a car in OBJ format, unfortunately it has all 4 wheel pivots in the same central position of the car. I tried with 3ds Max to correct the pivots and put them on the wheels but Unity does not accept the changes and the pivots remain in the wrong position. How can I solve the problem? Thank's

2. bgolus

bgolus

I might be wrong, but I'm not sure the OBJ format supports non zero pivots. I think all vertex positions are saved out in the file's "world" space. So, if you're saving it back out to an OBJ after modifying the pivots, you're effectively deleting that pivot data again since the OBJ file doesn't store that information. If you really want to keep using an OBJ, you'll have to move the wheels to be aligned with world space 0,0,0 prior to export, then move them back in Unity.

However, I'd recommend just exporting it to a new FBX instead.

3. Silveralby

Silveralby

Hi bgolus thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the 3D models of the F1 cars I found on the net in obj but if this must involve an extra job with the pivot I think that I will discard them