Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

OBJ import seems to be ignoring material assignments

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by wynott, Nov 21, 2016.

1. wynott

wynott

For workflow reasons I'd really like to use OBJ. Source geometry is from Rhino and Rhino only offers automated welding with OBJ exports, not FBX. Using this as a design tool, so lots of iterations. Really don't want to add another step to the export to convert format.

When I open the OBJ file in Rhino I can see the material assignment names are correct.

When I import the OBJ in Unity, I get a material of Object_nameMat.

Unity seems to be ignoring the material assignment? Is this correct? Do I have a setting wrong somewhere?

As a really awful workaround I can rename my objects to the desired material in Rhino, then add Mat too the material name in Unity... Which everything works okay when I do this but it will make a total mess of my hierarchy in Rhino.

2. wynott

wynott

So just for testing... I went into the OBJ file and changed the object name to be the material which I DEFINITELY have in my asset library and it still created a new material appending Mat to the the name.

3. rstorm000

rstorm000

Hey did you ever figure out a way around this? It's happening on windows for me, but not on mac....