Search Unity

.obj files used as a gun?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by InUnison, Jan 6, 2011.

1. InUnison

InUnison

I want to make an fps where the gun is showing; problem is i dont know how to work C4D and i found a 3d program i really like that saves the files as .obj I was wondering if i could use the .obj files as weapons.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

As long as there is no animation, .obj is fine. (Animation being defined as bone animation in the 3D app, not moving objects around in Unity.)

--Eric

3. InUnison

InUnison

Sofor Muzzle flash it would have to be a separate animation?

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

muzzle flash is no animation, thats an effect. This kind of stuff can not be transported from outside, you need to create it in unity.

animation means stuff like a walking character and alike where the skeleton is animating and the skin deforms along it for example

5. InUnison

InUnison

oh okay, see that i know of. So if i were to have a muzzle flash, how would i attach it to my gun as a .obj file?

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

you won't, you will attach it to the transform once the obj ceases to exist being an object and is a unity mesh on a unity game object instead

7. InUnison

InUnison

So i cant use it as a never ending object? i can only use it as lets say a tree? I can't use it for a first person shooter?
    Example: I want to create a gun but i can only export to .obj can i use the .obj gun in my game to show up on the screen as the character's weapon?