Search Unity

Assets NWH Vehicle Physics

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by NWHCoding, Nov 30, 2017.

?

Which networking solution do you want to see implemented?

Poll closed Jan 20, 2019.
  1. UNet - Unity Networking, getting deprecated sometime in the future

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Mirror - Community replacement for UNet (https://github.com/vis2k/Mirror)

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Photon

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. None - I will be implementing my own solution

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Meltdown

Meltdown

Rim colliders are enabled, but I still bounce off the barrier like crazy when I just touch it.
    I've tried various physics settings for the barrier and it makes no difference.

Obviously this is a deal breaker as vehicles should be able to ride against some sort of barrier without having some crazy reaction.

Also when the vehicle lands on the ground on the side of the wheels it spins uncontrollably too, which is really bad.

Any other suggestions, otherwise I'll need to submit a refund for this asset unfortunately,

2. Marcos-Schultz

Marcos-Schultz

What kind of barrier collider?

I'm having similar problems with 'MeshCollider'.

3. Meltdown

Meltdown

Its a mesh collider. Just a flat wall and some corners etc. Nothing fancy.

4. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Hello and sorry for taking some time to respond. I was away for the weekend and only responded to the emails that I got.

The problem that you are describing is about the same problem that the Unity's wheel collider has and the rim collider was added as a way to get around the problem. If you are sure that the wheel is the one causing it (as in wheel drives up the wall) then the easiest solution I can suggest is widening the rim collider a bit which (in case of a large wheel) should solve the problem.

To do this change the line 1143 inside the WheelController.cs to something like:
    halfWidth = wheel.width / 1.4f;
    instead of the 1.6f that was originally there.

Other solution would be to change the side-by-side scan resolution to 1 but that will result in a disc-like ground detection. If you have a relatively flat terrain this would probably be the best solution.

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm adding sound to a vehicle at the moment and have noticed that some of the effects are really quiet.

For instance, I'm having trouble making a crash sound audible over my engine. Looking in the mixer, some audio does appear on the right group at the right time. Looking at the source when it plays, though, even though the volume in the VehicleController is set to 1, the audio source is showing very low and changing volume levels. It also starts at 0 and returns to 0, as if you're trying to blend it in and out, but there's no "Range" property on that. If volume is based on crash velocity, how do I control that?

I've also got skid effects hooked up, and I see that sources get made for surface effects, but they don't get any clips put in them and, similarly, I can't hear anything when my car most definitely looks like it's skidding (back wheels locked, but moving along the ground, or spinning with no ground movement). What might I need to look at to make these play?

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Separately, @NWHCoding, I think my earlier post is worth a read if you haven't already.

7. carking1996

carking1996

I noticed that sounds were extremely quiet, too. Even when I set them higher, they were still.. low. Was wondering how to fix that.

8. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Sorry for skipping this one. I respond much faster over the mail (same day) so I would recommend using that. Forum's notifications have been hit and miss. Now onto the problem.

I have been able to pinpoint the problem to the [HideInInspector] attribute of lastShiftTime. Problem here is that lastShiftTime is public which it should not be and is a leftover from the development. Removing the atribute and making the variable private solves your problem. After changing that you will be good to go. Dodgy internal state should not be a problem as copy only copies the public variables and I have just checked all the other [HideInInspector] attributes for more hidden, but public, variables and there should be no problems anymore.

angrypenguin likes this.
  9. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Sounds can be adjusted through the "Master Volume" slider under Sound foldout for all the sounds related to the vehicle or for each effect individually under their respective foldouts. Finally, all the sounds pass through the Unity Audio Mixer located under VehiclePhysics/Resources/VehicleAudioMixer.

To get higher volume a few things can be done:
    • Set the Spatial Blend under Sound foldout inside NVP inspector to less than 1. One equals 3D blend and zero equals 2D blend (default for Unity). Since by default blend is set fully to 3D sound drops off drastically with distance.
    • Note that changing spatial blend at runtime will have no effect.
    • Go under SoundComponent.cs and change the Range() attribute of volume field so it can be set to above 1. This will change the range for all sound components, not crash only.
    • Increase the range of master volume attribute to higher than current (2).
    • Increase the master volume or component volume inside the VehicleAudioMixer.
    • For crash sounds specifically, if you do not want to do the above, check the line 53 inside CrashComponent.cs and divide by a smaller number (currently 2000).
    For the slip, sounds are related to the ground detection from which the vehicle gets the clips to put them in. Assuming you have Ground Detection component set up in your scene (only one ground detection component is enough for all the vehicles) one thing you might want to check is Forward and Side Slip Threshold fields under General foldout of NVP inspector (the last one).

angrypenguin likes this.
  10. marcrem

marcrem

Hi,

I just read the entire forum thread here and noticed that NWHCoding seems to give a pretty good support! Quite amazing actually. I even had a headache at some point, feeling for ya! :D

I've been using an asset called "Realistic Car Controller" for a while now, and I managed to build my game without depending on the asset too much. So switching should be possible without too much hassle.

Questions:
    1. Does this asset work with UFPS for enter/exit?
    2. Is this asset networkable, or is it solely coded for single player games?
    3. Do you know if using Vegetation Studio will cause any problem with detecting the terrain's texture under the wheels?

11. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Hello,

Here are the answers:
    1. Yes it does. In fact enter/exit functionality works with anything that is a gameObject.
    2. There is not networking / multiplayer support out of the box. Some people have used it in multiplayer games but I do not know what the extent of changes was in their cases.
    3. Only if they are removing the standard textures from the terrain. E.g. CTS works if the option is ticked.

12. xDeveloper

xDeveloper

Dear author and consumers of NWH!
    I read all messages of this thread and realized what many users have expirience with several vehicle physics products from asset store.
    And I hope what I was not wrong with the thread )))

I have been choosing for several days a platform for realizing a racing game with a realistic (relatively, not absolute hardcore), correct physical model. And I found (by description and demos) 3 good products: Edy’s, Realistic car controller and HWH.

Help and correct me if I wrong in my next conclusion: NWH is best choice for car simulator?

And second little question about vehicles like kart. Author of NWH say in this thread what such vehicles can not be done in unity with rigid bodies, so it will hard to modify script? And how such examples with karts did some users with other assets, it is fake physics?

Thank you and sorry for the long post.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  13. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Hello,
    I can not say which asset is the best since I am a bit biased and in all reality all approaches have some cons. Otherwise everyone would do it in one way and that would be it.
    Now, what I am saying is that games such as Mario Kart and Need For Speed are using "fake" (which by no mean means bad) physics and some other games like most of newer racing sims are using "real" physics. As soon as you take a look at any of these games you will immediately notice a difference. In NFS you can drift all day using keyboard and in, say, Dirt Rally that will end up badly - even after spending a few days with it and enabling the assists. But hey, it is more realistic.
    One downside of faking the physics is the fact that it only works for one case. NVP has a truck, bus, monster truck, 8x8 and making an asset that would fake the physics so well that those would look real enough and behave as expected would most likely end up in you ending up with having something so complicated and resembling physics that you might have used it for the start. But then, if you have a pure arcade kart racer where all you need to do is steer left and right on flat surface "fake" physics starts making sense.

Hopefully this helps some and does not confuse you even more :D

14. xDeveloper

xDeveloper

Thank you for the detailed response.

I think it’s worth to clarify my goal a bit: the simulator for driving schools and extreme driving (on first stage not hardcore realistic). And it will prototype, then later, in the future there will be a desire to turn the developments into a racing game.

Will be NWH a good starting point for such task or should I look for other solutions (maybe other assets from store) / write by myself?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  15. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Well, simulators is what this asset was intended for so yes, it will. One thing is that the clutch might not be on the level of realism needed for driving schools but if that is not a problem it will do good.
    Actually, a few weeks I was talking to a developer that was using it for a driving simulator for driving schools :O

16. xDeveloper

xDeveloper

Thank you very much, great news for me :)

17. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Hey, just sent you an e-mail. Wanted to make sure it doesn't get stuck in your spam folder.

NWHCoding likes this.
  18. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Hey, I sent you an e-mail on 8/29 but never heard back. Did you not receive it?

19. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Check your mail. Just sent the reply.

20. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

I replied several times but haven't heard back from. Didn't know if you were busy with a day job or just didn't receive them.

21. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

It's 10PM in here, I am usually working until 5 or 6 PM and eventually check email once or twice after the work hours. Sorry for that.

22. Rowlan

Rowlan

Is it possible to implement a Burnout like temporary speed boost?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  23. Michael2D

Michael2D

Hi,
    I would like to ask you for help.
    Lets say I have the "Sedan" in the Demo you provided in your WehicleController3D
    My player is kinda a lot bigger than your cars so I tried to increase the values of the "sedan"
    Before the size was x1,y1,z1 so I increased to x2.y2.z2
    But then the vehicle started to jumparound when the whell collided with a ground. I followed instructions and resized collider but if the car is jumping when the wheels are touching the ground. Which Value for me is important to change? Is it in wheel what I have to fix or in whole Vehicle Controller Script?
    Because I already messed around with values in wheels but nothing really helped. I think it would help many ppl too here cause Iam definitely not only one with this problem.

Thank you for any help!

Danteprofen likes this.
  24. zlyka1004ka

zlyka1004ka

Hey, I can't deal with your asset. I have a car to spawn by instance. But when a machine appears in a new scene, your vehicle changer script is disabled. What am I doing wrong?It happens when I start the scene.

Attached Files:

• Help.png
      Help.png
      File size:
      302.4 KB
      Views:
  25. Danteprofen

Danteprofen

Yes I got same problem. Im trying to build 5x5x5 car. But It's not moving.

26. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I am not sure if I understand the question fully. Do you want the burnout to charge some kind of boost or do you want speed boost while you are doing burnout?

27. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Hello and sorry for the delayed reply. When I am out of office I only check my email and Unity frequently forgets to notify me about anything happening on the forums.
    To answer both questions at once:
    NVP and WC3D do not work with scaling. Actually, Unity manual / documentation itself recommends to not use rigidbodies on scaled objects. What happens is every calculation that uses TransformPoint, TransformDirection and so on also gets distorted. Say you set the suspension travel to 1m inside the inspector and scale the object to 2x the original size using the transform's scale. What happens is that the suspension is actually 2m when fully extended but you have just set it to be 1m and the discrepancy causes one of the problems. This is just one of the problems.

SOLUTION: The way all the models in the demo scene are scaled is to simply scale the model itself on the import. There is a setting inside the import settings that allows you to set the scale. So the workflow would be: set the scale of the model either inside Unity import settings or 3D software and then set up the vehicle around it. In some cases it could be possible to scale already existing vehicles but I have found that to not always work since Unity has been known to break complex models already in the scene after the import scale is applied, so setting the vehicle after applying import scale is preferable.

28. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Is the script enabled before entering the play mode? If you want you could send me the scene and I will have a look at it.
    Can not see any reason why scripts would get disabled at entering play mode.

Also, if the vehicle is spawned after starting the scene it would be best to add it manually through the spawn script to the Vehicle Changer's list of vehicles since Vehicle Changer adds vehicles only at start.

29. Michael2D

Michael2D

Hi, Thank you for reply, Any chance you would be able to resize tank to 2,5xyz and make it work??? and save it / and create link here? Cause Iam extremely lost in it. I did everything and spent whole day making the tank work but that thing just "does not listen to me"
    Thanks
    PS. I love your asset but this is frustrating me as hell cause all vehicles look like RC cars :D

30. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

You can send me the project to nwhcoding@gmail.com and I will check it out.

31. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Hey there @NWHCoding,

I've set up a tank-style vehicle in my game. It's working pretty well and controls quite nicely so far, except for one thing. When the tank is stopped on any non-flat surface it slowly slides, even when brake torque is applied. I'm applying 1500 units of torque to each of 4 wheels per side, which is far more than is required to keep the other vehicles of similar size/mass still.

I initially had a sideways max force of 250 as this made turning feel better. I assumed that was the culprit, but I've removed it and it hasn't really helped.

I've tried changing the friction curve, but that messes with the turning.

upload_2018-9-29_14-21-22.png

Any suggestions, please? Thanks!

I'm thinking that I might need two friction curves, one for stationery and another for when moving, but I suspect that this may cause other issues or complications (eg: it will respond to physics interactions differently depending on whether it was already moving or not).

32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

On that note... same vehicle. Each wheel has motor torque set to 0 and brake torque set to 1500. Even on a flat surface it's still got some jitter.

@NWHCoding, when you need to completely stop a vehicle, how do you do it?

Edit: I also just checked the provided "Island" demo scene, in a package freshly imported (plus Standard Assets) into a blank new project in Unity 2018.2.1. In there, every vehicle is slowly sliding around on the ground, despite having "Freeze when still" set.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  33. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

This is one thing that I have spent a lot of time on and is almost impossible to solve. Even the stock wheel collider has it but it is less obvious since it uses substeps. Most games that use physics for vehicle behavior have it too.
    I have explained a few times in the previous posts why this is happening - in short, to apply a force to the wheel the wheel has to move a bit first since the force is reactive (calculated from distance moved and other parameters). Using a too low reaction force results in sliding while too high force results in instability - jitter. WC3D is set just to the safe side of low reaction force but the result is slight sliding as you noticed.

About the option "Freeze when still" - it could be that I set the threshold for being still too low or there might be some other problem. I will look into it immediately.

34. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yes, I understand the general case. What surprised me was that "Freeze when still" doesn't fix it.

For what it's worth, I'm using NWH wheels on two vehicles in my game, one using your Vehicle script and the other using my own custom script. The one using your Vehicle script is working fine - no jitter and no slide - so when I first asked I was assuming that I'd missed some "trick" to handling the "still" case for the other vehicle with a custom script.

I thought that it could be that the vehicles don't detect as "still" until they've started and then stopped, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

35. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

"Freeze when still" is only NVP specific, wheels themselves do not have that option. There is also an option "Freeze when inactive". I am not sure I understood things completely - you are using your own script instead of NVP and there you have sliding but with NVP it is working fine?

36. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I have two vehicles. One uses NVP, the other does not.

I was attempting to fix sliding on my non-NVP vehicle. As a part of that, I loaded up a fresh project with the NVP package imported, and found the vehicles there were also sliding.

I realise this. I was planning to look at how you'd approached the issue so I could keep my custom vehicle consistent.

37. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Been playing with Vehicle Physics and noticed a strange behaviour:

If I try to slowly drive a vehicle up a steep slope/hill while applying only throttle, the vehicle will stop applying throttle and apply brakes instead. Sometimes this even results in brakes "flickering" on/off. This happens when the slope is quite steep and vehicle does not have enough grip/power to climb the hill. It appears to be a built in driving assist feature? Can this auto braking be turned off?

38. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Since the gas/brake is the same axis vehicle assumes that if you are going in reverse and press 'forward' you actually want to first stop and then go forward. There is a speed threshold value that determines this set inside Brakes.cs, under "Brake on reverse direction", line 130 onwards.

There are a few cases: brake if vertical input is larger than zero and gear prefix is different than input:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. (Mathf.Sign(vc.transmission.Gear) != Mathf.Sign(vc.input.Vertical))
    or if vertical input is larger than zero and the sign of the forward velocity is different to the sign of the vertical input:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. (Mathf.Sign(vc.ForwardVelocity) != Mathf.Sign(vc.input.Vertical))
    The last one is the thing that auto brakes and you can remove it to remove it completely or do something like this to make it a bit less "stiff" (line 134):

Code (CSharp):
    1. Mathf.Sign(vc.ForwardVelocity + someValue) != Mathf.Sign(vc.input.Vertical)
    where someValue is a positive number and indicates the speed below zero that will be allowed before auto-brake. This is what I would recommend doing. So someValue = 1 would mean that speeds up to -1 m/s will be allowed before auto-brake.

39. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

OK, I see thanks for that info. I managed to edit the brakes, but it appears there is a similar thing going on with throttle. It seems that by default, the vehicle will not only brake, but also cut the throttle, when it starts rolling back. So far I havent found the code that is responsible for this.

40. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Ah, true. There are multiple things actually that affect that and the reason is that the package has been tuned to react specifically in specific conditions, automatically. If you are going in reverse and press forward vehicle will not shift into 1st until the speed is below some value (e.g. -0.5m/s). Vehicle slows down by braking and then shifts into 1st to be able to accelerate. So it does not actually cut throttle (you can still rev the engine) but engine is cut from the wheels. I would look inside Transmission.cs for start.

41. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Something else I've been running into is my vehicles coming to a dead stop in mid-air when jumping. This might happen when they're tumbling, but I'm not sure on that.

I know that I get a lot of dead stops when landing, but at this point I suspect that's because of hitting the edge of colliders, even though they're flat and visually seamless.

42. JormaRysky

JormaRysky

Look in editor if vehicles rigidbody gets contraints when stop happens. I removed all the script that enables constraints in certain conditions and that helped. It might be possible to disable them in editor too, under general there is freeze options. Also, make flip over manual

NWHCoding and angrypenguin like this.
  43. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

I ran into another problem: if I have more than 1 terrain in scene I gen an error. Is it impossible to use multiple terrains with VP?

Error log:
    Texture rectangle is out of bounds (631 + 1 > 512)
    UnityEngine.TerrainData:GetAlphamaps(Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32)
    NWH.VehiclePhysics.GroundDetection:GetTerrainTextureComposition(Vector3) (at Assets/VehiclePhysics/Scripts/Vehicle/GroundDetection.cs:230)
    NWH.VehiclePhysics.GroundDetection:GetDominantTerrainTexture(Vector3) (at Assets/VehiclePhysics/Scripts/Vehicle/GroundDetection.cs:252)
    NWH.VehiclePhysics.GroundDetection:GetCurrentGroundEntity(WheelController) (at Assets/VehiclePhysics/Scripts/Vehicle/GroundDetection.cs:202)
    NWH.VehiclePhysics.SkidComponent:Update() (at Assets/VehiclePhysics/Scripts/Vehicle/Sound/SkidComponent.cs:57)
    NWH.VehiclePhysics.Sound:Update() (at Assets/VehiclePhysics/Scripts/Vehicle/Sound/Sound.cs:265)
    NWH.VehiclePhysics.VehicleController:LateUpdate() (at Assets/VehiclePhysics/Scripts/Vehicle/VehicleController.cs:528)

44. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Currently the asset uses Terrain.activeTerrain to get the texture indices, so not as it is.
    What could be done is casting a single ray from the wheel and seeing which terrain it hits. Unfortunaltely Terrain.activeTerrain is not settable but a different static variable would solve that.
    Contact me over email with your invoice and I will see what I can do.
    If you want to tinker with it yourself check out the GroundDetection.cs or just search the project for "Terrain.activeTerrain" since this is the only place where it is used.

45. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Hello

i saw you asset are there good way to use / get it working like at for example GTA 5 handling etc

and when cars lying at the rooftop that they can turnaround like in GTA that can drive again and not ned get out of car only when its to much damaged ?

and crashing and exploding cars

regards

46. firefly9000

firefly9000

Hi. We are bringing in a car model via obj or fbx. We are positioning the wheel controllers at the center of the wheels. Both versions do not place the wheel in the correct spot as soon as we hit play.

Please have a look at the dummy model for reference.

Attached Files:

47. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Well, this one is easy.
    In the first picture you have a vehicle out of the play mode. I will guess that if you clicked one of the wheels its center would be in the middle of the vehicle, instead in the middle of itself. When you enter play mode wheels are moved to be where they should be - but their pivot is not in their center so they are moved out for that offset between the center and the pivot (center != pivot, you can check this by switching between the Pivot and Center mode at the top of the Unity screen):

upload_2018-10-26_21-5-51.png

You want to have pivot at the same position as center.

WC3D is not doing anything fancy in there - it is positioning the wheels by using transform.position and rotating the by using transform.rotation.

What you need is this:
    upload_2018-10-26_21-3-24.png

What you have is this:
    upload_2018-10-26_21-3-50.png

You can achieve this inside unity by positioning an empty, properly rotated and positioned, game object to the position of the center and then drag your wheel to be it's child. Or if you are doing this in Blender you can use Ctrl + A and apply transform and rotation.

Hope this helps.

48. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

GTA 5 is more arcade oriented and getting the exact feel can be hard. This asset is more geared towards Project Cars 2 feel.

There is automatic rollover option.

Mesh deformation is included, along with skidmarks and basic effects but if you want anything game-specific (such as explosions) you will have to implement those yourself.

49. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Yes but can be changed settings make it more like GTA for example.

Thanks yes and the rollover can be also manual ? that if i drive car get at roof i can turnaround / flip / rollover self ?

Ok np thanks

50. Mixa1985

Mixa1985

Hi.
    I like your videos on youtube, but this asset not have updates from june.
    1. Is it asset working on Unity 2018.3?
    2. Is the asset is live or there is no future updates? (when)