Search Unity

Assets NWH Vehicle Physics

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by NWHCoding, Nov 30, 2017.

?

Which networking solution do you want to see implemented?

Poll closed Jan 20, 2019.
  1. UNet - Unity Networking, getting deprecated sometime in the future

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Mirror - Community replacement for UNet (https://github.com/vis2k/Mirror)

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Photon

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. None - I will be implementing my own solution

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

It does. The differentials can be adjusted in any configuration, meaning that each differential can output to any other differential or wheel. Check the powertrain section on nwhvehiclephysics.com.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  2. Guacamolay

Guacamolay

Any update on the release date for NWH Vehicle Physics 2?

3. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

It has been submitted on 9th of April but is still pending review. This usually happens in a few working days but due to Easter and the situation in general it seems to be taking a bit longer.

GLID3R82, Guacamolay and Grumpy-Dot like this.
  4. Guacamolay

Guacamolay

That makes sense, thanks for the update!

5. Freznosis

Freznosis

It's technically a new asset on the store right? Not an update to NWH 1? I think it takes 2-3 weeks in that case, from my experience.

6. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Last time I submitted a new asset (Dynamic Water Physics 2) it was 4 days. I guess it depends.

7. fredastaire

fredastaire

I’m having an issue where the tires on my car are being damaged while driving with damage turned on I’m using 2019.2

8. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Make sure that you tag the wheels "Wheel" and they will not get damaged any more.

9. Slowin

Slowin

Could Unity please release this new asset that I really need? There is no reason to let us wait that long...

10. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Well I can send them a message. But I am not sure if that would speed things up or just overload their support even more.

11. eclipseanu

eclipseanu

Maybe check your messages / email for issues? I know devs who said they waited for a few weeks until they noticed that the asset was rejected for various reasons and they had to fix the issues and resubmit.

12. alexr1221

alexr1221

Hello, if I buy the v1 during this sale period, am I sure to get the v2 for free? Thanks

13. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Okay, NWH Vehicle Physics 2 is finally live. Link.
    I will be glued to the screen next few days to catch all the issues and questions that arise.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  14. ntc-tor

ntc-tor

I cann't find any upgrade option for VP1 owners. Is there one?

15. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Just go to the site of NVP2 and you will see -50% sign and the adjusted price.

RichardSim and aka_alarm like this.
  16. Okyo

Okyo

Ok, I'm also a Vehicle Physics 1 owner and I have some questions:

1. Vehicle physics(1) will receive any further updates or will be left in the current state, version(1.9.4)?

Because it still has some bugs, issues, and if I must pay to get another asset as an upgrade to what I currently have to get rid of the bugs and issues, then no, thank you!

2. Is not supposed to be a free upgrade to the current/old version, what happened?

I have other assets who received a similar upgrade(if not better), from v1 to v2, with massive changes in the code, UI, just like you did with this release of VP2 and I did not have to "repurchase" the asset.

3. What is the meaning of Vehicle Physics 2 by NWH?
    Will there be a NWH vehicle physics 3 in the future? shall I wait until then to purchase it? Is this v2 a pro version?
    I'm looking right now at the asset as someone who wants to buy v2 and sees, almost, the same description on it, what is the difference?

4. And the thing that makes me so confused is that my review on NWHVP also appears on NWHVP2. Why?
    I have not purchased that asset and test it, why does my review from one asset appears on another of yours?

17. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

1. Please send me a list of the issues and bugs that you are having to the email in the signature. If the issues are not related to major changes (i.e. realistic clutch is not possible in NVP1) they will be fixed.

2. It was supposed to be a free upgrade, but it was also supposed to be 10-20% of the work put into the upgrade. Also, it is not a complete repurchase as the upgrade is $36, compared to the $60 price of NVP1.

3. No, there will not be NWH Vehicle Physics 2. In fact this asset would have been called just NWH Vehicle Physics but it would cause confusion because the two are not compatible.

4. It is because I offer upgrade path for owners of NVP1. Unity does this automatically and the assets are shown as long as the upgrade path exists.

I understand your points, but I also do not think that getting half a year of development for $36 is not that bad a deal.

18. sonicviz

sonicviz

I tried the demo but I have some real reservations about upgrading due to some issues.

A big one is when I walk up to a vehicle and push against it before entering the whole vehicle moves. I can literally push the vehicle across the ground while walking.

19. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Can't you just disable all NWH stuff when a vehicle is left to its own, parking? Shouldn't this get rid of the behaviour you described?

20. Himanshuchahar

Himanshuchahar

Hi Team,

Thank you for the great asset, I am new to this asset and need help with couple of things.

1. How can I reduce the truck speed. What I meant is, it seems like truck quickly picks up the speed. How can I make it pick-up speed slowly.

2. May be little off topic. What I want is kinda inventory system, where user can upgrade the truck power, engine, brake. Is there a way I can do that?

21. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

This is correct. The character controller that is used is a standard assets Rigidbody controller meaning that the character has infinite force while colliding into things. I took care to make vehicles movable while inactive (unlike NVP1 where they are frozen). You are also correct that a better character controller might be needed.

22. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Hello,
    the reason I have not replied earlier to your message is because Unity forums tend to stop sending notifications to the email randomly. I do check email multiple times a day and am active on Discord the whole working day so these are better ways to contact me.

1. Reduce engine power - that should do it just fine. Alternatively, increase the final gear ratio.

2. Of course. All the values you listed can be changed at runtime. This means that you can add a button of some kind to your game GUI that will add or reduce the value - or implement an upgrade system. Of course, that is related to your game and not the asset itself. It is not nor does it pretend to be a complete game template.

I have also replied to your email.

23. nobluff67

nobluff67

What the reasoning behind my character walking into a 1200 mass cube and no movement, yet walking into a vehicle with 1500 mass, basically flips it over?

24. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I unfortunately can not do much there besides freezing the Rigidbody - which I also avoided doing in NVP2 because then collisions do not move the vehicle. This is a known issue in Unity with Rigidbody character controllers and not the issue with the asset itself.

And if you check the code for RigidbodyFPSController from Standard Assets you will see why it manages to push the car over:

upload_2020-5-8_12-41-4.png

They are not limiting the force in any way so as far as I know they could be pushing it with 1000N of force.

EDIT: Looking at that code gave me an idea. I went and set the RigidbodyFPSController's RIgidbody mass to 0.1 and voila - no more pushing. The force they are applying is proportional with mass (i.e. more force to accelerate more mass) so the controller was applying larger than realistic forces to the character and in turn, the vehicle.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    nobluff67 likes this.
  25. nobluff67

nobluff67

Unfortunately can not do that as I am using opsive UCC and realistic mass is needed elsewhere. Where is the option to freeze the vehicle when not in use?

BTW, was able to ignore collisions using opsive UCC layers, however this only worked on the body, as the wheels seem to have colliders generated at runtime, so you cant change layer names (this is for Version 2, so ill post that on the other thread as well.)

26. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

No need to post on both threads.
    I will add this as an option. If you need it as soon as possible I can either PM it to you or you can wait a few days for the next update. You can see your request here: https://trello.com/b/2FWm0C91/nvp2-change-log
    I took extra care to remove freezing from NVP2 so that the vehicles are responsive even when asleep as this was a common complaint, but I guess it goes the other way too :)

nobluff67 likes this.
  27. nobluff67

nobluff67

QUOTE="NWHCoding, post: 5822713, member: 117950"]No need to post on both threads.
    I will add this as an option. If you need it as soon as possible I can either PM it to you or you can wait a few days for the next update. You can see your request here: https://trello.com/b/2FWm0C91/nvp2-change-log
    I took extra care to remove freezing from NVP2 so that the vehicles are responsive even when asleep as this was a common complaint, but I guess it goes the other way too :)[/QUOTE]

Awesome, I’ll wait, got enough other stuff to do in my game.

Does it make sense to add option to set wheel colliers layer? (assuming wheel colliders are set at runtime, which I think they are).

28. fredastaire

fredastaire

I’m having issues with cars pulling to the right on oval with rr tire larger than lr

29. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

If you have one wheel tire larger than other on the same axle it is about expected if the axle is powered. Esp. if it is not open differential. Is there a reason for differences in tire size?

30. fredastaire

fredastaire

Sprintcars have larger rr tires than lr due to being an oval car

31. lukeluzardo

lukeluzardo

why did you remove nwh1:(

32. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I tested the Deno2. (Keyboard) For me it's totally strange when brake that I cannot steer. Feels extremely blocked! Doesn't matter of enabled driving controls.

Mate you should brought a quality game like NFSRun, NFS16, or an other one for PC 10$ and compare your settings with the driving results of the masterpieces, when using keyboard.

Currently nwh Demo2 is really worse when driving standard cars. Cannot recommended nwh2 for Desktop and Keyboard.

RaL likes this.
  33. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Will you be doing a demo where we can do realistic donuts, it is the only thing stopping me making a purchase, as like the poster above at the moment to me it feels very un natural.

CyberMobile likes this.
  34. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Can you add a Camera which rotates via the right joystick. Also, can you allow the camera to follow any transform ( I ended up just using your camera scripts for now.)

35. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

NWH Vehicle Physics 1 is still available for download for those that have purchased it prior to being removed from the store. There was a large number of support requests from people that purchased NVP1 without reading the description and later realizing that NVP2 has been out for a few months.

36. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

NVP2 was tested and compared with rFactor 2 using a Logitech steering wheel. NFS franchise is heavily arcade oriented and not very realistic but they do have easy to control vehicles. Granted, most of the customers might actually be looking after NFS-style behavior and I will take that into consideration with future development.

CyberMobile likes this.
  37. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

NVP2 has support for InputSystem and gamepads by default. Check input bindings here: http://nwhvehiclephysics.com/doku.php/Setup/Input#Available_Bindings
    These will not be backported to NVP1.

38. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

The large friction update should be live any day now. I am currently comparing the model with the research papers end measurements done with real tires to make sure that the vehicles behave as they should. The donut problem, among others, has been solved in the upcoming update.

39. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

40. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

It is VehicleCamera when used with InputSystemVehicleInputProvider. But note that we are talking about NWH Vehicle Physics 2 here. In the demo scene for NVP2 you can rotate the camera around the vehicle by pressing and moving the right stick and pan by pressing and moving the left stick.

41. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

OK, so I'm a bit lost here. Looking at Vehicle Camera I'm not seeing anything to rotate the camera. I've tried editing the rotate with Camera drag script , but I can't get it working.

To be fair I'm trying to use it without using the rest of the NWH framework to attach to a different in game transform, any hints ?

42. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Which camera script are we talking about exactly? The default is CameraMouseDrag and it is the only one that supports rotation and panning (although both can be disabled). You might be missing inputs since you are not using the SceneInputManager. Any reason to not use the provided scripts for scene input at least?
    Check lines 155 to 159 in that script, here is the place where the input is fetched from the active InputProvider. You will need to replace this with your own code if you want to not use my scripts (for some reason).

Edit: Just now realized that we might be talking about different asset. You mention NWH Framework (which is NWH Vehicle Physics 2 specific) yet this is NWH Vehicle Physics 1 thread. I assumed from that that we are talking NVP2.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  43. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

My bad, I'm taking about NVP2

Basically I'm using different code for the actual car logic , but your camera followv scripts work much better.

I'll dig into this more next weekend

44. crownracing

crownracing

45. crownracing

crownracing

Can we use Gamesparks instead of Photon for multiplayer?

46. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I have not worked with Gamesparks yet but from what I saw skimming over the docs the method of implementation is fairly similar to the existing two (Mirror/Photon) and implementing it inside NVP2 should not be much of a problem. I will see about the official implementation but I would suggest checking out the Mirror/Photon scripts and doing something similar for Gamesparks. NVP2 itself does not care much for multiplayer backend since most of the code is package-agnostic. Only the 20 or so lines are different between Photon and Mirror and those are the lines that send/receive data.

47. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Is there a demo showing this update? And which papers are you referencing?

48. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Yes, the current version (v1.3.x) has the upgraded friction. I have also mentioned on Discord that v1.4 is getting physics sub-stepping which will improve on this further.
    So the demo that is up already has it.

49. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Ok, just tried it and it doesn't seem any better still impossible to do proper doughnuts so still something wrong in there it seems.

50. SufferinPup

SufferinPup

Quick question: what settings should I tweak to lower max speed but keep acceleration as it is? This is for a large heavy truck.