Search Unity

Assets NWH Vehicle Physics

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by NWHCoding, Nov 30, 2017.

?

Which networking solution do you want to see implemented?

Poll closed Jan 20, 2019.
  1. UNet - Unity Networking, getting deprecated sometime in the future

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Mirror - Community replacement for UNet (https://github.com/vis2k/Mirror)

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Photon

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. None - I will be implementing my own solution

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. kjiforouter

kjiforouter

Thanks for the answers and I have another question.
    In NVP, the Power of the Engine is affected by the Transmission Gear state. However, in reality, it is the Power(Bias) of Transmission that is affected by the Gear.
    Will there be any changes to this in NVP 2?

2. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I am not sure what you mean by the 'bias' of transmission. Power is power, it is work done in time and gearbox does not change it if losses are ignored. What it does change is the torque. It is normal for a vehicle with larger gear ratio to accelerate better, but at a cost of top speed, since the engine spends more time in the power band.

3. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

This got a bit burried in the discussion, but here is the newest development preview link.

4. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

There are a few things:
    - The car is four wheel drive with 30% of the torque sent to the front.
    - Rear tires are set up to have more grip which also prevents oversteer.
    - Clutch-type LSD both front and rear.
    - Suspension setup is such that there is no tendency to oversteer.

But this is not really that relevant since I just finished porting the settings and telemetry from V1 demo and in the future all the demos will have this adjustable in-demo, including the differential settings.

Guacamolay likes this.
  5. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Ok thanks for info, look forward to trying to finished article. The setup sounds like a modern 4WD Rally car but again those can spin on the spot, so I am still a little intrigued as to what is stopping it :)

RichardSim likes this.
  6. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Mirror support done.
    From now on NWH Vehicle Physics 2 supports Photon Unity Networking 2 and Mirror.

RichardSim, Weezel and Guacamolay like this.
  7. Praetorsoft

Praetorsoft

Excellent! Thanks for all your hard work.

Any news regarding release date for v2?

8. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Working on demo and documentation as we speak. The code is done. So ~10 days.

overthere, slimshader, Weezel and 2 others like this.
  9. Praetorsoft

Praetorsoft

Looking forward to it!

10. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11. Praetorsoft

Praetorsoft

Looks good!

12. eclipseanu

eclipseanu

I suggest considering a Discord server to find answers easier, watch updates easier, even faster support since anyone can help with mundane questions. Most of the assets I'm using have one and it's a lot better than a forum, especially when all info is crowded in one thread. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even come to this forum if I wasn't watching v2 progress.

Can also help with configuring and setting up if you're not familiar with Discord.

Freznosis likes this.
  13. slimshader

slimshader

Hi, I am new to the asset and it looks great after initial testing but I have a problem: I don't know how to configure WheelControllers where the pivot is not in the rotation center of the actual wheel.

Attached image is my case with the tractor, red dot is the pivot that I need to respect with the wheel rotation as it has to rotate according to the specification. How can I configure WheelController to have an offset from the pivot point for the "collider"? I've tried with Rim Offset but that doesn't seem to have an effect.

Attached Files:

14. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Three green debug gizmo shows the actual position of the wheel as the WheelController sees it.
    It is also where ground detection happens.
    If you want to move the green gizmo outwards use the positive Rim Offset (say 0.2) and watch what happens with the gizmo. Try adjusting it at runtime and see what it does. Rim offset exists exactly for the case where the steering pivot is not at the center of the wheel.

Also check the documentation for WheelController V4, second image:
    http://nwhvehiclephysics.com/doku.php/NWH/WheelController3D/WheelController

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    slimshader likes this.
  15. slimshader

slimshader

Indeed it seems that is exactly what I need, problem is as I mentioned before, when I change Rim Offset values in the editor, nothing happens (green gizmos don't move). Using version 1.9.4, Unity 2018.3.10. New update (and docs) looking great btw.

16. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I have just tried the demo for WheelController v3 (the one included with NVP 1.9) which has the side offset option and it works. It could be that the gizmo is not positioned correctly.
    Could you try setting the offset to a large value and see if the visual moves?

slimshader likes this.
  17. slimshader

slimshader

Was unable to record a video but made screenshots of a changes to the Rim Offset in the demo scene
    rim 1.JPG rim 2.JPG rim 3.JPG rim 4.JPG

18. mitis

mitis

hi my friend when to wait for version 2 release

19. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

20. slimshader

slimshader

You mean it will not show gizmos correctly in Editor mode, yes?

21. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

No, it will show the gizmo at all times at the position of the wheel but will not move the wheel out of play mode since it is not executing out of play mode. The gizmo out of play mode is intended to adjust wheel radius and width. Sorry for the confusion, should have cought that earlier but I assumed you tried steering in play mode when you said it was not working.

22. slimshader

slimshader

Hm I am indeed confused now, not sure what you mean by "will not move the wheel out of play". I do not want to move the wheel... I just want to configure the WheelCollider in Editor mode that would take Rim Offset into consideration so I can visually set it up properly (like radius and width). Do I understand correctly that I can ONLY do that in Play mode? (so I must save the values and put them in Editor mode)

23. slimshader

slimshader

I just tried changing the value of Rim Offset in the Play mode, nothing changes as well. Is there a way we could contact directly?

24. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Documentation for V2 has just been finished.
    Documentation

Class reference is on the bottom of the sidebar.

25. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

I just have an issue in my VehicleController inspector window, it seems to reload/save everytime, im using Unity 2019.3.3f1.

26. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

What do you mean by reload/save everytime?
    Did that happen in previous versions of Unity?
    2019.3 is notorious for a lot of editor bugs since they changed a lot of things around but it could be that they
    have changed the behavior of SetDirty() or some other function.
    If you could share a bit more details that would be great, although I am developing NWH Vehicle Physics 2 in 2019.3 and at the moment it does not have such issue, but also it will not be out for a few days.

27. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

uatanks likes this.
  28. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Okay, I took a look at the code and immediately spotted the issue:
    VehicleControllerInspector.cs, OnInspectorGUI() function:
    Add

Code (CSharp):
    1. EditorGUI.BeginChangeCheck();
    at the beginning of the function and
    then wrap the line 73 so it looks like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(EditorGUI.EndChangeCheck())
    2. {
    3.   serializedObject.ApplyModifiedProperties();
    4. }
    Last line, SetDirty(), can be removed as it is pretty much obsolete at this point.
    If you contacted me through email I would have sent you the file but hopefully you will be able to fix it this way too.

29. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

Thank you very much, i will fix it myself :)

30. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

New monster truck just finished. The asset needed a halo vehicle to showcase and test the new features as they are added and this one has it all.
    Hopefully you like it.

MonsterTruck.PNG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  31. Praetorsoft

Praetorsoft

Beautiful!

I find monster trucks perfect for testing physics because you can see much of what’s going on. Plus they are really fun to drive :)

NWHCoding likes this.
  32. RichardSim

RichardSim

Have to agree - good choice in test vehicle! The sports car while pretty I'm assuming was the cause for a lot of bad behaviors with such low ground clearance.

An offroad vehicle aligns with my needs much better too. :)

I'm excited to see the release getting so close! Can't wait to try it out.

33. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

The sports car was the second test vehicle after the old SUV which is more generic but some behaviors, especially tire grip, are more obvious on sports vehicles while the others are more obvious on the monster truck.

By the way, here is the replacement for the 8x8. The model is based on TwisT's design (CC-BY licence) but it needed a lot of rework and a new set of textures.

upload_2020-3-25_23-38-56.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  34. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Also a video of the 8x8 truck. A few issues to tackle but it is 90% there.

35. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

A short video demonstrating VehicleSetupWizard script from NVP2. I have made it reasonably robust but some vehicle model basics are required, such as correct pivots and Unity-correct rotation. Also, the values that the vehicle ends up with in the end are the defaults and manual tweaking will be needed to get the best results.
    It shortens the vehicle setup process by at least ~10 minutes and together with Validate Setup function that runs validity checks on all components should save a lot of troubleshooting time.

36. Bero89

Bero89

Wow! i cant wait for the nice Update =)
    Release you this as a Free Update for Owner or mus i buy this new ?

37. DeathRace26

DeathRace26

Very lovely! Especially the offroad stuff. Just one question. Is wheel denting separate component from mesh deformation? I have my custom solution for meshes so just wondering.

EDIT: i didnt find anything about wheel denting in docs.

38. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

There is no wheel denting. There is just wheel wobble. But really a nice suggestion - I will add a "Mesh Deform" toggle to the DamageHandler. I have many ideas for the future of the damage but those will have to wait until after the release. For now the framework is there but smoke coming from under the hood when engine is damaged, for example, would be a nice addition.

39. DeathRace26

DeathRace26

No, that is not what i meant :D. I was talking about a rim benting. Like the whole wheel gets curved around it's pivot, so in result car steers in direction it normally wouldn't be able to. My question is, if this is separated from mesh deform component or combined, with refferences to wheels

40. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I have just added a toggle that turns mesh deformation on or off. That way you can leave all the damage stuff and handle deformation yourself if you want.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  41. nobluff67

nobluff67

Does anyone have a reasonably accurate solution for calculating impact force that takes the mass of the vehicle into account?

42. FIReedM

FIReedM

Hey guys, sorry for the noob question but I can't identify the variable that defines how much steep can the vehicle climb. I want the sport car to be able to move forward on steep surfaces instead of stopping at the first surface relief. I read the manual, and compared the values of the sports car with the monster truck, and can't figure it out. Appreciate the help. Thanks.

43. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

One thing you could do is take the collision.impact value and divide it by Time.fixedDeltaTime. This will give you the force which should be proportional to the mass, given that the collision is head on.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  44. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Make sure you are not getting stuck on terrain. The sports car has quite a low collider and the collisions in Unity, even when physics material's friction is at the lowest, are quite grippy.
    Other than that: locked diff and longitudinal force coefficient (WheelController) are the most important in NVP1.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  45. nobluff67

nobluff67

This is completely over my head. Is this something from NWH, as this doesn't exist in unity as far as I am aware. Do you have an example if one of your demos?

46. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

NVP2 uses it to determine damage.

Here is the exact code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. void OnCollisionEnter(Collision collision)
    2. {
    3.     float collisionForce = collision.impulse.magnitude / Time.fixedDeltaTime;
    4. }
    Of course, the higher the mass of the vehicle the higher the deceleration force will be needed therefore larger impulse.

47. nobluff67

nobluff67

Thanks, that works quite well.

48. nobluff67

nobluff67

Do you have any documentation for improving performance of asset? e.g. disabling skid marks, stuff like that?

... and will NVP2 improve performance, or maybe reduce due to added features?

and how is the release going? has it been delayed?

49. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

NVP2 introduced this. Click on the link and it explains it there.
    I have just done a comparison of built scene with similar vehicles in version 1 and 2 and the performance per FixedUpdate() is about the same for similar settings but the Update() and LateUpdate() are much faster. This is in large part due to improved skidmarks and general optimizations in regards to effects and sound.
    For more info about release check the post below.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  50. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Here is the demo (Win64) for the NWH Vehicle Physics 2.
    The asset will be submitted on Sunday, 5th of April. Expect a few days for it to get approved before it is available on the Unity Asset Store.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020