Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets NWH Vehicle Physics

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by NWHCoding, Nov 30, 2017.

?

Which networking solution do you want to see implemented?

Poll closed Jan 20, 2019.
  1. UNet - Unity Networking, getting deprecated sometime in the future

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Mirror - Community replacement for UNet (https://github.com/vis2k/Mirror)

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Photon

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. None - I will be implementing my own solution

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

NWH Vehicle Physics 2 is now available. Check it out here.

Main.png

Vehicle physics package suitable for wide range of vehicles. Realistic, easy to use and heavily customizable.

Wheel Controller 3D, a custom in-house wheel solution, has been used for wheel physics while the rest of the system had been written from the ground up.

General features:
    • Fast vehicle setup with quick start video or included manual.
    • Seven vehicle prefabs of different types are included: sports car, sedan, 8x8 truck, monster truck, tank, city bus and semi with trailer.
    • Suitable for wide range of applications.
    • Runs on both desktop and mobile devices.
    • Uses custom in-house wheel solution – Wheel Controller 3D – for 3D ground detection and high level of customizability.
    • Per-wheel surface detection based on terrain textures or object tags. Different friction curves and effects for each surface.
    • Suspend option for inactive vehicles which minimizes impact on performance while keeping basic functionality.
    • Character vehicle changer that works with any character controller / game object, including other vehicles.
    • Helper scripts such as analog and digital gauge controllers, camera and vehicle changers, center of mass and downforce adjusters, etc.

Vehicle Physics Details:

Engine
    • Realistic engine power and torque calculation with adjustable power curve and RPM range.
    • Functional forced induction.

Transmission
    • Gear ratios and final gear ratio.
    • Dynamic shift point based on load.
    • Three transmission types: Automatic, Automatic Sequential and Manual.
    • Manual transmission supports both sequential and H-pattern shifting.
    • Center differential: Open, Limited Slip, Locking or Equal.

Axles
    • Geometry settings for each axle: Steering Angle, Pro/Anti Ackermann Steering, Toe, Camber, Caster and Anti-roll Bar.
    • Adjustable power, braking and handbrake distribution.
    • Per-axle differentials: Open, Limited Slip, Locking and Equal.
    • Supports solid axle (check Monster Truck in the demo).

Damage
    • Optimized queue-based mesh deformation that spreads processing over multiple frames.
    • Damage influences vehicle performance and handling.

Audio
    • All audio sources are set up automatically.
    • Sound can be adjusted through Audio Mixer for all vehicles or though inbuilt mixer for each vehicle and each effect individually.
    • Engine, forced induction, gear change, suspension, surface, skid, crash, air brake, horn and blinker sounds.

Effects
    • Vehicle light system with low beam, high beam, stop and brake lights, blinkers.
    • Can be used with any number of lights of any type and/or emissive materials.
    • Persistent and well optimized mesh-based skidmarks.
    • Exhaust particle effects based on engine state.
    • Per-wheel dust and smoke particle effects based on surface the wheel is on.

Input
    • Desktop input using standard input manager with mouse steering option.
    • Mobile input through on-screen steering wheel and pedals or tilt controls.

Trailer
    • Trailer is a vehicle in itself meaning all the effects that work on a vehicle work on a trailer too.
    • Trailer gets input routed from the vehicle it is attached to which results in functional lights, braking, damage and even steering if needed.
    • Built-in attach / detach functionality where any vehicle can attach any trailer with correct tag.

Fuel
    • Fuel consumption calculation using engine’s efficiency.
    • Readouts in l/100km, km/l and US mpg.

UI
    • Universal analog and digital gauge controllers and lights for use in dashboard or HUD.

Code
    • Modular code structure for easy modification and upgrading.
    • C# source code with XML comments on all public members.
    • Tooltip explanations for all visible variables.

European Truck and Trailer and Super Car models provided by GAME READY 3D MODELS .

Try it out:

More info:

Video trailer:

For the rest of the videos click here.

Demo scene with telemetry and adjustable vehicle settings:
    Telemetry.PNG Settings.PNG

Other links:

Package is now available for purchase at the Unity Asset Store (link).

Attached Files:

• Demo.png
      Demo.png
      File size:
      577.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  2. John-G

John-G

Great news, will be upgrading from off road vehicle physics kit when released.
    Will this system incorporate the wheel controller system or is it designed to run along side.

Edit : as for a suggestion, how about a snow mobile?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  3. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

It uses Wheel Controller 3D for wheel physics instead of wheelcollider and the rest is written from ground up, now over 3 months in development.

GLID3R82 and John-G like this.
  4. John-G

John-G

That's great, was going to purchase Wheel controller 3d to use with original physics system.
    Will hold off for to purchase upgrade then.

5. CoderPro

CoderPro

When you release this !

6. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I made this thread so everyone can see the progress. If everything goes to plan it should be finished before the end of December, add a week or two for it to get reviewed. That is the goal.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  7. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

An update.

Trailer module is finished and here are some details about it. If you want me to add some feature feel free to suggest it.

Trailers use the same vehicle controller script that the vehicles use which means they support lights (blinkers, stop lights, etc), effects, braking and even steering. Any input that vehicle receives trailer will receive too. This means that multiple trailers are possible if somebody wants to make a road train or similar.
    Each vehicle can attach any trailer that has the correct tag which means that same scene can have e.g. 10 semi trailers and 5 trailers and cars can not attach semi trailers. Attaching trailers is based on adjustable distance (similar to that of Euro Truck Simulator). Since the vehicle controller script has a system that suspends unnecessary functions when vehicle is inactive trailers that are parked have minimal impact on performance while still keeping all the functionality (minus effects and sounds, WC3D is used in single ray mode).

GLID3R82 and FargleBargle like this.
  8. CoderPro

CoderPro

Will you focus to engine and sound for vehicle to make it realistic ?

9. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Well, I am already focusing on it. The goal is to make it easy enough to setup and produce good enough sound. Most developers do not have access to the actual vehicles so I can not actually make a system that would require engine samples at certain RPM, accelerating samples, decelerating samples, etc. so as a compromise I decided to go with single clip engine sound. Currenty the package supports engine, transmission, suspension, forced induction and ground sounds.

CandraWi, GLID3R82 and rolexhun like this.
  10. strich

strich

Looks great! I'm excited to check it out when you're ready. :)

11. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Currently working on vehicle changer script. Plan is to have 2 different scripts; one classic that just cycles through the vehicles and one that is attached to a "character" (in this case a free-moving camera, but you could attach it to whatever) that offers option to enter vehicle when close enough.

After I am done with that I will setup the vehicles and put on an early WegGL demo so you can try it and suggest things that could/should be changed. I want to do this as early as possible in the development as it is much easier to change things before documentation and all the asset store update stuff.

12. Ian094

Ian094

This looks awesome! Great work.

13. khos

khos

Hi, will this have soft body tire physics? If not why not :)

14. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

No, it will not have soft body physics.
    Soft body physics are quite performance hungry. This is the reason none of the AAA car games have it (as far as I know). Also, that would render this asset useless for mobile. Sure, one vehicle with soft body physics might run fine on a mobilephone, but 5 or 6 in a single scene - hardly.
    I do not feel that soft body physics bring enough to the table for all the cons they have and that is the reason I will not implement them. And also they are mostly useless for high speed vehicles as on a race car there is hardly anything "soft" :)

pcg and GLID3R82 like this.
  15. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

In the past all my assets had custom editors but the layer of complexity and possibility of introducing bugs made me rething that for this asset. Below is what part of the editor editor currently looks like. It is using default Unity class dropdown style look:

upload_2017-12-10_11-55-0.png

There is still custom editor code behind that that handles filling in the needed fields in a newly created vehicles, shows warnings, etc.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    GLID3R82, FargleBargle and Slipangle like this.
  16. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

All in one spot :)

2017-12-11_21-17-59.png

17. strich

strich

That looks awesome mate. :)

18. pcg

pcg

Looks great.
    A discount for Wheel Controller 3D owners would be nice ;)

rolexhun likes this.
  19. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Don't worry, I will offer upgrade (it is not exactly upgrade bug that is what Unity calls it) to Wheel Controller 3D owners - I am not planning on selling same stuff twice to the same people :D
    There will also be an upgrade offer for the owners of the old and deprecated Offroad Vehicle Physics Kit.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  20. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Check this link at the end of the first post in this thread for the first development build (Windows 64-bit only). Demo scene is not finished and some features are not implemented, may not work properly or may not work at all. Think of it as a development snapshot.

First camera will folow the vehicle, second camera you can rotate around by holding LMB and the rest of them depend on configuration. Default key bindings can be found by pressing "Show Help" button at the top of the screen or in the configuration window that appears after opening the .exe, under "Input" tab.

All feedback is welcome. Have fun :)

GLID3R82 likes this.
  21. Chris2D

Chris2D

Looks promising NWH! I would be very interested in using this in my current project. Currently using 3d wheel controller with a fairly simple vehicle control script for testing, and this might save me a lot of time building out vehicle features myself. Have you posted up details of expected functionality yet? I'm thinking in terms of simulating engine, transmission, differentials, etc.

22. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Mobile controls are finished.
    Supported steering modes are:
    - Steering wheel that can be rotated by dragging around it.
    - Screen input by sliding the finger around on the left half of the screen.
    - Steering through tilt.
    There are two pedals for brake and throttle:

2017-12-22_16-53-24.png .

As for the development progress of the asset it is currently in cleanup and polishing stage. As soon as the demo scene is completed and options are added another build will be uploaded - expect it somewhere around Christmas.
    After that a lot of documentation needs to be done, tutorials, etc. which should be finished early January so that the asset is out by the end of that month.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    FargleBargle, John-G and GLID3R82 like this.
  23. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Just tried the demo, and it looks pretty good so far. I noticed the Zonda is pretty difficult to control at high speeds though, mainly due to steering sensitivity. You pretty much need proportional steering if you want to drive fast without going off the road all the time, while still being able to turn within a reasonable radius at lower speeds, so I'm assuming that you're doing something like that already. I noticed a "Driving Aids" rollout on the editor screenshot above. Does it let you adjust high speed steering sensitivity by any chance?

24. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

This is the steering section of the Zonda in question:

upload_2017-12-23_22-25-19.png

The sensitivity you noticed is due to smoothing being fairly low so it reacts very quickly to user input. Maximum steer angle is interpolated between low and high speed steer angle by speed ranging from 0 to crossover speed. Last two variables are just optional and for steering wheel object.

Driving aids is ABS, TCS and Stability. The last will help ( a lot) but it will also take away from realism.
    I am also playing Project Cars and Dirt Rally all this time and comparing the behavior to those two and all I can say is that 400kW RWD car is equally hard to control in those two too. I will increase smoothing some for the build 9.

Setup really plays the largest role in overall behavior. Things like center differential, axle differentials, power distribution, braking distribution, wheel setup, center of mass, downforce, steering setup and geometry setup (ackerman, toe, caster, camber, anti rollbar) all affect handling a lot.

EDIT: It turns that downforce was also set to 0.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  25. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Cool. Looks like you've got it covered. The important thing is that it's adjustable.
    That brings up another question. I asked about active aerodynamics in post #143 of the Wheel Controller 3D thread, but don't know if you noticed. Many new hypercars have moveable rear spoilers to provide variable downforce, or even extra braking force when needed. How feasible would that be to implement? Assuming we supplied appropriate animations for the different rear wing positions, could your system change the downforce accordingly, or will it just act as a constant function of speed? Either will probably be fine, but active aero could make a nice tuning option.

26. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I remember that post but seems I forgot to answer.

The downforce that I am doing in this asset is pretty simplistic. Downforce value is increase exponentially up to preset value at preset speed and any number of user-selectable points. I had to do preset speed because some people have RC cars and the like. Mesh-based solution would be possible (after all I am doing something similar in my other asset, Dynamic Water Physics) but adding a few thousand lines of code just for downforce did not seem like a good solution.

That said, as it is changing downforce is just a matter of changing a single variable so that retractable spoiler should really be the least of problems, e.g.: downforce.points[1].maxForce *= 2f when you raise the spoiler; and *= 0.5f when you retract the spoiler.

FargleBargle and GLID3R82 like this.
  27. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Build 9 is out: link

Changes:
    - Added character vehicle changer
    - Tweaks to vehicle setups
    - Improved center and axle differentials.
    - Fixed downforce.
    - Other minor changes.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    GLID3R82, Inspeinre and FargleBargle like this.
  28. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Nice. That was like getting a slot car set for Christmas - including having the cars spin off the track all the time thanks to my ham-fisted driving. It was nice you provided the BTR-80 to help push them back on the road when they got stuck. though. It may just be a tech demo, but it was still a lot of fun. :rolleyes:

Build 9 feels better than the last one. The Zonda is still twitchy, but you kind of expect that from a car with that much power. I was able to get it around the track sometimes without crashing though, and it looks like with a few tweaks, and maybe a bigger track, it could be quite drivable. Being able to enter and exit the vehicles is a nice feature as well. I hope this is adaptable to third person characters. I'm not expecting opening doors or driver animations, just being able to move from vehicle to vehicle, and switch from player to car and back again, like in the demo. I'm liking it so far though, and looking forward to more.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  29. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Glad you had fun :)

I just added steering linearity option for keyboard to help with input "jerkiness" and it does help. There is also a mouse steer option which makes it easy to control. I am working on adding settings into demo scene and will reupload tomorrow.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  30. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Try to give gamepad controllers a bit of love while you're at it if you can. I usually use an XBox style controller for my player and vehicles, so if there's anything that can be done to dial down its tendency to oversteer, it would be appreciated. ;)

31. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Under keyboard input I am pretty much talking about the standard input manager in Unity and Input.GetAxis() stuff. Tested it with both my joystick and gamepad and works fine after mapping the input keys. So linearity will work for them too (even if I sometimes forget they exist since I am on keyboard all day long).
    I made Zonda intentionally oversteer but I might dial it down a bit. It is actually easier to make it understeer than oversteer.

Edit: I changed input option to "Standard" instead of "Keyboard" since that more accurately represents it.

32. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Usually a bit of initial understeer on high powered rear wheel drive cars is fine, since you can induce oversteer with a touch of the throttle. The trick is to get the balance right, so the transition is manageable, and you don't end up oscillating uncontrollably between extreme understeer and oversteer. Again, as long as we can adjust the amounts it shouldn't be an issue.

33. carking1996

carking1996

Care to upload a WebGL build? I only have a mac to test on!

34. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I will post Mac OS build then :D
    I will post Mac OS build then together with Windows build when I finish the settings (should be in a few hours).

A sneak peek at the settings, should make it easier for everyone to try different setups:

upload_2017-12-26_15-23-17.png

GLID3R82, FargleBargle and pcg like this.
  35. carking1996

carking1996

Is there a way to configure gear ratios in the inspector? I have some car physics systems (Edy's, realistic car controller v3, and some other ones), and they all are missing gear ratios.

36. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Of course, I can not imagine making vehicle physics without gear ratios :O. After all those are needed to calculate torque at the wheels and engine RPM amongst other things.
    First element is reverse, second neutral, and the rest are 1st, 2nd etc.
    Gear Multiplier is just a final gear ratio by which all the rest are multiplied.

upload_2017-12-26_15-46-12.png

I will post the whole editor seciton-by-section in a few days when I am sure it will not change anymore.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  37. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Build links in the first thread have been updated with the newest build.

Changes:
    - Added settings to the demo scene.
    - Implemented fuel consumtion based on engine's thermal efficiency in l/100km, km/l and mpg.

EDIT: Reuploaded with settings now working properly.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    GLID3R82 likes this.
  38. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Just finished new collision system, here is the result of dropping a car on it's roof from about 5 meters:

upload_2017-12-26_19-0-57.png

39. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

And here's the Zonda when I brought it back to the dealer after a test drive:

TestDrive1_2.jpg

You say you dropped the other car on its roof. Does the new collision system allow damage to vehicles that aren't being driven? Because driving over the Zonda with the monster truck in my tests wasn't nearly as satisfying. :rolleyes:

Vadim-Silvestrov likes this.
  40. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Actually damage does work even when vehicle is in suspended state. It is just that the damage is velocity magnitude based - that is why you are not seeing any damage when you drive over the vehicle.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  41. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Another update.

As requested there is a larger racetrack now and without any weird bumps (unlike the old one).The road that was going through the center fo the island is now a dirt road (for anyone wanting to try out rallying).

upload_2017-12-27_15-34-33.png

Blinker sounds were added - something very essential that was missing :)

I changed the sounds so that they all go through mixer now. This means that each aspect of vehicle sound can be modified in the VehicleController script for individial vehicles or through mixer for all vehicles.

This is the mixer part:
    upload_2017-12-27_15-39-33.png

And the VehicleController part:
    upload_2017-12-27_15-40-31.png

With possibility to adjust each sound component individually from the VehicleController script:
    upload_2017-12-27_15-45-7.png

This reduces time spent hunting around for correct AudioSource and makes everything available in a single place.
    There is no need to setup sound manually (AudioSources, AudioFilters, etc.) as everything that is needed is created by the VehicleController script when the scene is started. Actually, if you have a vehicle setup for WC3D you will be able to just drop this script onto it and press play without doing anything and the vehicle will function just fine - script will find wheels, load sounds and setup all the defaults as soon as it is attached.

This is all from me, going back to commenting out and cleaning up all of the 22k lines of code - fun times indeed.
    This is taking some time since all the public variables and methods are to have classic XML documentation along with Tooltip attribute.

GLID3R82, John-G and FargleBargle like this.
  42. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Build 11 has been uploaded.

Changes:
    - ABS and TCS now work properly. If you set them to full strength none of the wheels will ever spin or lock up.
    - Many bug fixes.

I would suggest anyone trying out the build to check out mouse input (Settings > Input Type in the demo scene). This will give anyone using keyboard and mouse much better control over steering, throttle and braking.

FargleBargle and GLID3R82 like this.
  43. derkoi

derkoi

Looks interesting

44. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Check the end of the first post for Android build.
    Scene in the build is simplified, not because this package is slow (it is not) but because most mobile phones do not like 6 medium to high poly vehicles with non-mobile shaders and everything turned up. Not to mention high resolution of the terrain's heightmap. This simplified scene should give enough insight into how this asset works on mobile devices.

GLID3R82 likes this.
  45. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Features have been added to the first post. There might be some more added before the package is out but this is about it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  46. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

The first thing I noticed with Build 11 kind of shook my confidence in the "realism" offered - at least in terms of car / pedestrian interactions. The player got too close to the car when trying to get in and this happened:

Pedestrian 1 - Zonda 0.jpg

He not only spun it 90 degrees, but it's going to be tough buffing out the damage to the rear fender. Looks like the front took some damage as well. I understand the car is pretty light, but I thought carbon fiber was tougher than that. You said earlier that damage was based on impact velocity, but the player was barely moving, plus theoretically a lot lighter than the car. Does this seem right? o_O

After taking it out on the track, the ABS and TCS work great, and really make the car more drivable at higher speeds. It will be nice to play with the settings a bit in the release version, to dial in how much assistance these provide, since in the demo they're either fully on or off. Looking good though.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  47. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Who knows, maybe the character in question is a sumo wrestler and he leaned onto it a bit too hard?

Jokes aside I will probably need to look into that. It does use impact velocity magnitude but Unity apparently has some funny business going on in there.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    GLID3R82 likes this.
  48. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

The macOS Build doesnt work (can't start).
    But i tested it on windows and i need to say that i don't like it, It feels to much arcade and overpowered.
    Why does the Truck have so much power?

Anyway its a good asset :)

49. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Hmm, will look into that. I just used Unity's build setting for MacOS and that's that.

Have you tried adjusting the power of the truck in the settings?
    You can set it there to the lower value. I will set it to lower by default too, but a semi truck with 300kW without a trailer will feel overpowered in the real world too when you floor it (as you do when you press a button on a keyboard). My suggestion is to try playing with mouse controls where you can modulate power (check settings for that too).
    Might I ask which vehicles feel too much arcade and overpowered? If it is Zonda then it is because I did tune it a bit that way (relaxed slip coefficient, high lateral grip, slight amount of stability, low COG).
    Glad you liked it in the end. Will post the newest build today.

TiToMoskito and GLID3R82 like this.
  50. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Windows and Mac OS builds have been updated to build 12.

kostekplay, GLID3R82 and FargleBargle like this.