Search Unity

NWH Vehicle Physics 2

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NWHCoding, Apr 8, 2020.

?

What would you like to see implemented next?

Poll closed Feb 12, 2023.
  1. FMOD sound module

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tracked vehicles

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Softbody wheels

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  4. Something else (mention in the thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.2b

07/04/2023
    • Fixed the motorcycle module (jitter, flying into the air).
    • Increased default damper field values to better match those pre v11.
    • Fixed skid and surface sounds not stopping when the vehicle stop skidding on a surface that does not have those enabled.
    • Minor tweaks to the friction circle.
    • Fixed engine not being able to reach peak power, introduced in 11.1b.
    • Added sideways friction clamp to prevent possible jitter with overly stiff friction.

2. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.3b

07/04/2023
    • Added 'throttleEngagementOffsetRPM' to clutch. It varies the clutch engagement point based on throttle input.
    • Fixed clutch slip torque.
    • Fixed VC_Disable not being called on some PowertrainComponents.
    • Fixed VC_Disable not fully stopping the powertrain. With the update everything is set to 0 immediately as to not have the powertrain in a frozen state once the vehicle is awoken.
    • Fixed 'targetRigidbody' possible null issue.

3. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.4b

09/04/2023
    • Fixed creep torque direction and added 'creepSpeedLimit'.
    • Fixed throttle and brake issue when autoSetInput = false introduced in 11.3b.
    • Fixed mobile demo scene having wrong vertical and steering input type set in the MobileVehicleInputProvider.

4. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.5f

09/04/2023
    • PowertrainComponents and VehicleModules are now both VehicleComponents. This means that the initialization, update, etc. functions are now uniform across the asset.
    • Modules now also have the state settings toolbar with LOD settings and Enabled/Disabled On/Off buttons.
    • VehicleComponents that are OFF are now completely dead and do not have any functions called on them. Previously VC_Initialize() was called on OFF components.
    • VehicleComponents now get the VehicleController reference set before VC_Initialize(), but also in the inspector, out of play mode.
    • Fixed transmission doing shifts while another shift is in progress.
    • Implemented VehicleComponentManager LOD clamping of the child VehicleComponents. This is to prevent the child components from staying awake when the manager (SoundManager, EffectsManager, ModuleManager, Powertrain) is asleep.
    • Fixed skid particle emission that got broken in v11.0. The amount of time needed for smoke to appear ended up being too large.

5. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.6f

10/04/2023
    • [WC3D] Added a LayerMask to the WheelController > Misc tab.
    • Fixed VehicleSetupWizard errors when setting up a vehicle in prefab mode.

6. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.7f

11/04/2023
    • Transmission is now using the vehicle speed (converter to RPM) instead of wheel RPM for gear shifts to prevent shifting on wheel spin, or allow shifting while the wheels are locked. This also eliminates the need for shift checks, which have been removed.
    • Fixed MotorcycleModule lean angle issues and jitter on slopes.
    • Minor other bug fixes.

7. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.8f

11/04/2023
    • Fixed Electric EngineType not working properly with partial throttle.
    • Fixed VC_Validate() not running on some VehicleComponents.
    • Added a check to prevent calling Play() on disabled AudioSources.
    • Many minor bug fixes and improvements.
    • Default value tweaks. The vehicle now once-again works after clicking Reset on the component and loading the defaults.
    • TransmissionWhineComponent now has a volumeRange field instead of on/off throttle volumes. Tweaks to the transmission whine sound.

8. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.9f

12/04/2023
    • [WC3D] Fixed no-suspension not working properly.
    • Fixed electric engine power generation.
    • Fixed CheckState() and Initialize() running out of play mode when ON/OFF button is clicked.
    • Properties Wheels and WheelGroups were removed, access them directly through powertrain.wheels and powertrain.wheelGroups.
    • Made ABS and TCS modules work both in forward and reverse.
    • 'reigsterWithVehicleChanger' and 'autoFindVehicles' have been removed as they add unneeded complexity. Use VehicleChanger.Instance.RegisterVehicle() and DeregisterVehicle() after spawning a vehicle instead.
    • Vehicles no longer get woken up automatically if VehicleChanger is present and active.
    • Disabling the parent VehicleComponent now disables the children, too. E.g. SoundManager disables EngineRunningComponent.
    • Many internal bug fixes and improvements.

9. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.10f

13/04/2023
    • Added 'inputModifyCallback' to InputHandler for when input modification from external script is needed but autoSetInput is set to true.
    • Fixed CruiseControlModule not engaging.
    • Fixed NOSModule sound not working.
    • Fixed null error in the StateSettings drawer.
    • Changes to ArcadeModule artificial steer. Now it acts as a Y-axis torque that gets applied based on steering value.
    • Added Arcade and AirSteer buttons to the demo.
    • Added “AddAndOnboardAComponent” function to VehicleComponentManager to allow for adding external VehicleComponents (modules, etc.) after the initialization.
    • Optimized build size. Main demo is now ~30% smaller.

10. fdameronut

fdameronut

After four updates the wizard is still broke.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    NWH.VehiclePhysics2.SetupWizard.VehicleSetupWizard.RunSetup (UnityEngine.GameObject targetGO, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] wheelGOs, NWH.VehiclePhysics2.SetupWizard.VehicleSetupWizard+WheelControllerType wheelControllerType, System.Boolean addCamera, System.Boolean addCharacterEnterExitPoints, System.Boolean registerWithVehicleChanger) (at Assets/NWH/Vehicle Physics 2/Scripts/SetupWizard/VehicleSetupWizard.cs:129)
    NWH.VehiclePhysics2.SetupWizard.VehicleSetupWizardEditor.OnInspectorNUI () (at Assets/NWH/Vehicle Physics 2/Scripts/SetupWizard/VehicleSetupWizard.cs:757)
    NWH.NUI.NUIEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/NWH/Common/Scripts/NUI/Editor/NUIEditor.cs:14)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass71_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <d9db1e7924774af688adb5dbcac728ba>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

11. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Thank you for reporting this as nobody else reported it that I can rember. I test the Wizard before each release but it could be that my setup has something different since it is the same prefab I always use (RuntimeVehicleSetupTest scene is used for this). If I missed your bug report from 4 versions ago, sorry about that. Will check this out immediately.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  12. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I made a change to the script that checks for already existing Rigidbody on the object as the current version will thrown the error you are getting if there is. An oversight on my side. Could you try removing the Rigidbody (if it is attached) and running the Wizard again?

13. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.12f

17/04/2023
    • Fixed modules that are added at runtime after the VehicleComponent not getting initialized.
    • Fixed MotorcycleModule jitter after running the VehicleSetupWizard by overriding the inertia with manual default values.
    • Fixed MotorcycleModule falling over due to a recently introduced bug.
    • Fixed Electric engine not calling start event, resulting in sound not working.
    • Fixed clutch and transmission validation warnings for Electric engine type.

14. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

How can I fix this?
    If I roll a vehicle and it is on its left side or upside down (especially the monster truck), when I exit the vehicle, the first person character misses the terrain and falls through ending the simulation. Is there a setting to have the character spawn above the terrain instead of using just a fixed spawn point?

15. khuarizmi98

khuarizmi98

Hi may I don't know why my trailer like slowly skidding when vehicle in idle state. I already freeze the rigidbody but still it happens. what a possible solution can I do to overcome this?

16. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

That is a good point. The character currently exits at the point it has entered, or at a certain offset if it has not entered previously. Will see what I can do.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  17. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I just updated the wizard because this issue was common with motorcycles too. I have yet to implement the inertia based force clamp.
    The jitter indicates that the vehicle inertia is on the low side.
    Also, make sure to update to the latest version as it is hard to debug issues that might already have been fixed.

18. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.13f

21/04/2023
    • Rev limiter issue (reversing on rev limiter).
    • Rev limiter cutoff duration now disables the rev limiter.
    • Fixed combined mass on VCoM when using MassAffectors bug.
    • 'Use LODs' option was removed as it would disable sleep on VehicleComponents. 'Use Camera.main for LODs' was also removed - just leave the 'Lod Camera' field empty to use Camera.main.
    • Fixed delay between spawning the vehicle and LOD assignment.
    • Wake() and Sleep() are no longer called on VehicleController when the vehicle MonoBehaviour is enabled/disabled or GameObject activated/deactivated. This means that if the GameObject is deactivated and activated, the VehicleController will act as if nothing happened.
    • Cleanup of the Sleep, Wake and LOD code and the reduction of complexity to increase reliability.

Yany and markoal like this.
  19. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

The Wake/Sleep (AWAKE/ASLEEP button) is getting removed in favor of using native Unity Behaviour.enabled. I have had @Arecizox report recently that there is a bug with enabling/disabling the MonoBehaviour or toggling the GameObject to be active/inactive. The issue is that both of these actions stop coroutines. This does not play nicely with the Wake/Sleep of the VehicleController and in general, there are currently 3 ways to toggle the vehicle activity.

So, instead of using my own wake/sleep system that was in there now, the asset is getting moved to the standard Unity system and will use OnEnable/OnDisable instead. This also means that the Sleep LOD (S) will be getting removed since a disabled vehicle will be completely dead, whereas previously it was possible to leave some systems of the vehicle active while the vehicle was asleep. This is the only downside that I have come across, the upside is a massive reduction in complexity as there are no multiple complex states. If there is a use case of having to leave the vehicle running, I will most likely add an option to the VehicleChanger to simply disable the input on that vehicle instead of disabling the VehicleController.
    Another large upside is the performance. The disabled vehicle has nothing running, no coroutines, etc. - except for the WheelControllers. This means it has very little CPU impact. With the current system, LOD checking and a bunch of other code is running on asleep vehicles, too.

Sorry for the long post :)

The new LOD/state toolbar:

The demo scene also got some vegetation:

Currently moving the TrailerHitchModule and TrailerModule to use triggers instead of the current not-so-efficient solution of searching for trailers in the scene. As things stand, it will not even require any re-configuration of the vehicles.

For more updates check out the Discord server in the signature below.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  20. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.14f

25/04/2023
    • Changes to the state system: Vehicle no longer has Wake/Sleep and instead uses the Unity Behaviour.enabled.
    • VehicleComponents no longer have isOn field, using isEnabled instead, drastically simplifying the whole state system.
    • LODs are now just that and no longer feature a special “S” (Sleep) LOD. VehicleComponents inside the LOD distance are Enabled, VehicleComponents outside of the LOD are Disabled. LODs can be disabled in which case the Enable button has the same function as the ON/OFF button had previously.
    • All VehicleComponents now get disabled when vehicle is disabled and nothing is updated - this brings performance improvements with it. VehicleComponents can no longer be enabled when VehicleController is disabled. Leave the VehicleController enabled instead and set autoSetInput to false instead to leave the vehicle running while not using it.
    • TrailerModule now finds trailers based on triggers. Trigger SphereCollider is automatically attached to the AttachmentPoint Transform and no actions are needed to upgrade. To add a custom trigger, add it to the attachment point manually.
    • Fixed RPM getting stuck at rev limiter RPM. Introduced in 11.13.
    • Fields with “awake” or “asleep” in it have been renamed to “enabled” or “disabled”.
    • Demo scene improvements.
    • Smaller overall bug fixes and improvements.

21. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.15f

26/04/2023
    • DamageHandler is now a separate component from the VehicleController which allows it to work when the VehicleController is disabled. It is also optional.
    • Skidmark code cleanup. Fixed breaks in skidmarks when going over different surfaces or when generating a new segment.
    • Updated EngineComponent to only start outputting torque after engine start is finished.
    • EngineStartStopComponent pitch now changes with the engine/starter RPM.
    • Exhaust smoke no longer sets the lifetime through code. Use the LifetimeOverSpeed on the exhaust particle prefab instead.

22. MeteTurkay

MeteTurkay

what we should use instead of GetModule<> in new versions? and for current RPM

23. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

To get the engine RPM the new code is
    vehicleController.powertrain.engine.OutputRPM
    To get a module:

MyModule module = myVehicleController.GetComponent<MyModuleWrapper>().module as MyModule;

I have updated the docs with the module example, the outdated code got left in there.

24. MeteTurkay

MeteTurkay

thanks
    im getting "Wheel count does not match generator count. Wheels 4 | Generators 0 on Trailer" error, i just setup a trailer, this error pops up after attach
    error stops when i disable skidmark manager
    also trailer attach it self after pressing t before trigger stay and trailer in range always false

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    NWHCoding likes this.
  25. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Noted. I cached the wheel count value but since the trailer does not have a powertrain it does not get updated. Will fix with the update, ETA tomorrow.

26. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.16f

28/04/2023
    • Stiffened up the locked differential 100% stiffness value by 100x. The current value was reported as too loose and the value range was too low for the setting to be effective.
    • Fix DamageHandler bug on the SteeringWheelInputProvider.
    • Fixed failed start attempt leaving the engine sound running.
    • Fixed wheel count error when SkidmarkManager enabled on a vehicle that has Powertrain disabled.
    • Fixed SteeringWheelInputProvider error introduced in previous update, related to the DamageHandler.
    • Fixed TrailerHitchModule AttachOnAwake not working. Introduced in the previous version.
    • General bug fixes and tweaks to the powertrain.

27. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Check the 11.16f, your issue has been fixed.

28. khuarizmi98

khuarizmi98

Hi may i know why increasing axis resolution in steering wheel input provider (which i want make more steer on steering to get simulation for my truck simulator) cause my truck not moving / like slow . I'm using Logitech G29

29. khuarizmi98

khuarizmi98

Do you have any value settings that can i refer to set the steering wheel input provider for truck steering behavior (like heavy force, more steer, correct centering force)?

30. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Most likely because it is a global setting. Will give it a look.

31. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I do not have settings for a heavy vehicle but there are three main settings found towards the top of the inspector that pretty much affect all the behaviour.

Last edited: May 3, 2023
  32. EnesZuuks

EnesZuuks

SemiTruckGIF.gif

Hi,

I have that NWH 11.17f version. The vehicle seems to stall during gear shifts. It doesn't look like it will get better with "Shift Duration" and "Post Shift Ban" values. Will updates continue to be this frequent? Updates can sometime slow down while developing projects.

Good works...

33. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

The v10/v11 was a major update. The only updates that are now happening are bug fixes and issue fixes. For example, an update will most likely be needed to fix the issue that you reported in the video. You do not have to update each time there is an update if your version is working fine.

The issue in the video is most likely caused by the combination of the wheels locking up and the clutch not reacting fast enough due to the low fixed delta time. I will make a fix for this, but in the meantime consider using Project Settings > Time > Fixed Delta Time of 0.01 (100Hz physics update) as it will give you much greater physics fidelity. I am running my demo at 120Hz and could not reproduce it. That said, I am committed to supporting as low as 33Hz for mobile devices so this definitely will receive a fix.

Sorry for inconveniencing you with the updates, but I would also like to point out that the changes brought massive positives to the asset - including almost 50% performance boost, simplification, higher reliability (once the teething bugs are fully sorted out), cleaner code, better physics behavior, etc.

34. EnesZuuks

EnesZuuks

Okay man, thanks.

35. EnesZuuks

EnesZuuks

I have tested at 120 Hz. You can see it via link I shared in the video I recorded. Is that how it works for you?

Link :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F5i4TtDOORwtXGL90SWilKDiNAxVej24/view?usp=share_link

36. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

37. EnesZuuks

EnesZuuks

I got it, ok.

38. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Just watching the video on a bigger screen (I was on the phone earlier) and I am trying to figure out what part of the behavior is the issue. You mention stalling, but the engine does not seem to go below ~450 RPM which is idle for the Semi in the demo.
    The first video was low resolution and did not have audio so I was not sure, but from the second one, it seems normal. Could you explain the issue in a bit more detail?

39. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I have decided to include the FMOD module with the asset for free. This is so I can make it the "default" sound method while the SoundManager stays as a fallback. This means that the demo will come with FMOD which, if sold separately, would not be fair to do.

Expect it soon in a preview form.

40. EnesZuuks

EnesZuuks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W9Qe6nXaKjG3ZFABpSNxzdseu9zNbspF/view?usp=share_link
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1scPkxQWOfu2jx2JJEE43rjjNCSH4PKQC/view?usp=share_link

The first link is from one of the previous versions you posted. The second link belongs to v11.17. I'm not talking about stalling the car. I'm talking about the car pretending to stall. I was satisfied with the version as in the first link. But in version 11.17, the vehicle seems to stop during gear changes. It is possible that it will not seem badly in high-speed vehicles, but in low-speed vehicles, it looks bad in vehicles with low gear ranges.

Attached Files:

41. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Oh, it makes sense now.
    The main reason for this is the increased rolling resistance on the semi in the newer versions. It can easily be reduced under the WheelController.
    Next reason is that I increased the shift times on the transmission to showcase the longer gear shifts. This can be reduced under VehucleController PWR tab.
    These two should get you back to the previous version state.
    I will tweak the demo values to reduce this.

42. EnesZuuks

EnesZuuks

I don't know man. I tried what you said but unfortunately I can't get the result I want.

43. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Could you clarify if the issue is the vehicle slowing down between shifts or the engine RPM dropping? Of it is the second then I will need to add an option. Currently throttle is disengaged between gears and clutch released, as should be, but that causes the engine RPM to drop. It can be partially mitigated by increasing the engine or clutch inertia.

Also, the semi truck has very low gear ratios so the first few gears are very short. You can either remove them or increase the final gear ratio on the Transmission.

44. EnesZuuks

EnesZuuks

The problem is that the vehicle slows down too much due to the too low engine RPM while the gear shifts. I'm doing what you said, but unfortunately I haven't got the result I want yet.

45. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Will see what I can do. The adjustable engine loss calculation is in the TODO for the next version which should land soon.

46. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Could you try opening EngineComponent.cs and setting the
    LOSS_PERCENT value to 0.2f from the default 0.35f? This will be exposed in the update and the default will be lowered.

47. Shenthong

Shenthong

Hi,

I just upgrading NWH to latest version from the old version v1.5.1, I wanted to give offset of the rim from the center of steering but there is no option to set the offset on the new version. Do you have any option to give the offset from the new version?.

48. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Hello,
    there was a discussion about this on the Discord recently and the short answer is no. The only option is to move the wheel more to the outside of the vehicle body. Now for why: the current version of WC3D resolves its position through inverse kinematics in one frame, the previous version actually needed more than one frame in most cases. That is why it felt a bit spongy even with stiff suspension. The cause for this is that when there is camber and rim offset, there are multiple suspension positions for a single ground hit point so multiple iterations of the suspension are required to react a stable condition. Camber depends on spring travel, spring travel depends on camber, that kind of round dependency that can not be calculated in a single frame.
    So, unfortunately the rim offset had to be dropped to get the current behaviour. On the positive side, this means that WC3D now handles much better AND is way faster than before. And I doubt that any of the players will notice what is a relatively minor detail. Even a lot of AAA games do not have it.

49. Shenthong

Shenthong

Thank you for the explanation, yes for this version it looks very good I really like it, I chose to reduce the steer coefficient so that it won't be too visible to players.

Thank you for your answer.

NWHCoding likes this.
  50. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

11.19f

07/05/2023
    • Added OptionalPackageWizard (Tools > NWH > Optional Package Wizard).
    • Added engine braking adjustment.
    • Fixed StateSettings not getting remembered after Unity restart, scene reload etc. due to the StateSettings not getting serialized.
    • Added NonRotatingVisual rotation offset so that the initial rotation does not get reset on play mode.
    • Fixes to the trailer mechanics. Fixed prompt and attach on enable not working.
    • Added attachmentTriggerRadius and attachmentLayer fields to TrailerModule and TrailerHitchModule.
    • Removed unused registerWithVehicleChanger field from the VehicleSetupWizard.
    • Added a preset info box to VehicleSetupWizard to avoid confusion, as this caused multiple support requests.

Last edited: May 7, 2023