Search Unity

nVidia's RTX as a cherry on top of the cacke?!

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by imDanOush, Jan 18, 2019.

1. imDanOush

imDanOush

Hello,

There is a video game project that uses the nVidia's RTX technology for its GI (and also for its real-time reflection). As far as I know, The developers of the project claim that it doesn't have a pre-built GI or pre-built reflection probe, only the RTX technology simulates the GI and the screen reflection effects in runtime.
    Here is a link to the project: http://brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/

Here is a video from the video game project, FYI.

After seeing the project, I wondered if there is an asset or a default builtin Unity feature for fully using the nVidia's RTX (and potentially the same tech from other manufacturers) as an extra cherry on top?

I never had an opportunity to play with the RTX graphics card, maybe Unity does the same out of the box but I'm not sure and I'd like to know how Unity utilities the RTX technology, or if Unity has a plan to do so.

Best.

2. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

We are working in this area. Please ping me around GDC time.

3. MAK11

MAK11

Hopefully something that would work on Radeon GPUs :)

4. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

DXR and the upcoming Vulkan Ray Tracing APIs are open. I expect that drivers will eventually emerge for most GPUs.

5. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Sounds like Apple is gonna be last in the raytracing game, unless Vulkan will be supported but since they only want metal, and metal raytracing does not yet exist I see a problem for multi platform raytracing. and its mostly Apples own fault for moving away from open api's like open CL, open GL, and vulkan. Let alone the Nvidia driver issue, where apple don't seem to be in any hurry to approve the Nvidia drivers for Mac.

6. MAK11

MAK11

Jepser,

That's everybody's hope :) All DX12 class GPUs should theoretically be able to support DXR & Vulkan's RT but as of right now only Nvidia RTX GPUs and the Titan Volta have DXR enabled drivers. Hopefully AMD steps to the plate & brings driver support soon. Sure it's not going to be as fast as Turing GPU's which have RT Cores for ray intersection acceleration but it will be enough for many use cases (as proven with Volta which doesn't have RT Cores).

Cheers

7. imDanOush

imDanOush

Speaking of RTX for Unity... watch this!

8. MAK11

MAK11

There was no mention if this was DXR or Vulkan based and IIRC Natalya always mentioned it as being "our Ray Tracing technologie". Maybe Jesper (or anybody else from Unity) can shed some light on this (and if AMD GPUs will be supported).

ps. Nvidia is finally releasing DXR drivers for Pascal GPUs in a April but it is still radio silence on AMD's front.

9. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

This is Direct3D12 raytracing running on an Nvidia GPU.

imDanOush likes this.
  10. MAK11

MAK11

Any plans on detailing future RT roadmap ? (MacOS support maybe which would require Metal and obviously AMD support, Linux which would require Vulkan)

11. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi. The plan is to deliver a preview of DXR (DX12) for 2019.3 on HDRP.

imDanOush likes this.
  12. MAK11

MAK11

Great
    Long term plans (2020/2021) is to have VulkanRT/MetalRT support, right? (& pray for driver support for DXR on AMD GPUS also..)