Search Unity

Nvidia GTX 1080 Announced (2x TITAN X Performance)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Games-Foundry, May 7, 2016.

1. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Hi Folks,

Overnight we had the Nvidia announcement of the new pascal architecture consumer cards. The 1080 boasts 2x performance of the TITAN X* and will be available at the end of May.

https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia/v/64989878

Pricing Info

I'm looking forward to being able to capture 4K60fps for marketing videos (assuming I can find the rest of the kit to make that possible e.g. HDD, video capture card). And not getting slow-cooked in the office over summer when testing under full load due to the heat the current GPUs kick out.

Added to shopping list.

* under certain conditions

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    computertech and Meltdown like this.
  2. elmar1028

elmar1028

Just wow!

GibTreaty and Ony like this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

More graphics cards that cost as much as my computer? COOL. RAD.

Martin_H likes this.
  4. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Nice, I'm very happy that I waited and did not pick up one of those GTX 970's...

So the 1080 launches on May 27, with the 1070 following on June 10.

landon912 likes this.
  5. Player7

Player7

Its nice to see gpu's still get pretty good improvements every year, while cpu's manufactures like intel are hell bent on screwing consumers for 2-4 core cpu's still, with paltry sub 20% improvements.. would think something like an i7 8core cpu would be going down in price, but its still considered extreme high end and has ridiculous price to match.. disappointing and those idiots wonder why no one barely upgrades their cpu's in the last 5 years anymore along with the crap mobo changes every cycle.

Martin_H and landon912 like this.
  6. virror

virror

What ppl seem to miss is thats its 2x performance in VR, not in general. But still a pretty impressive card : )

Martin_H likes this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yet at the same time I have to wonder if Nvidia would be delivering this much of an improvement if virtual reality weren't being pushed so hard right now. They took a moment to show off their card effortlessly maintaining 60Hz with maximum settings, but that's because their card has to be able to hit 90Hz near constantly in order to satisfy VR.

McMayhem likes this.
  8. QFSW

QFSW

To add to that, Nvidia has an arguable competition with AMD in terms of GPUs; they both make high end cards
    Intel on the other hand, doesn't have any competition for high end CPUs, so they can do what they want

landon912 and Ryiah like this.
  9. Rasly233

Rasly233

3x less power means 3x times less heat, maybe ill update after all.

I wonder why would they produce a card that is faster then titan and cost just 300, if they can still produce that titan and sell it for 1000. Isn't usual milking is like producing 10% faster card for same price. I am not good with marketing.

10. QFSW

QFSW

i guess this makes VR and 4k more mainstream accessible
    'tis a balance between profit per sale and number of sales
    dont worry, they'll probably have a Titan Z at £2k which has 20GB GDDR5X and a clock speed of 3GHz ;)

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Do you know what's even better milking? Selling a GTX 1080 knowing some people must have it only to sell a new Titan card down the road knowing those same people will buy that too.

QFSW likes this.
  12. landon912

landon912

Hopefully, AMD holds up their claims with this new generation of CPUs. Unfortunately, they've never recovered since the "Intel issues", and at this point, Intel is probably hiding away designs of varying levels and always just going one notch above AMD in order to milk the cow.

Hopefully, they can continue to keep up with Nvidia and keep both of their shops open.

Vanamerax likes this.
  13. Ony

Ony

Time to start thinking about updating this Voodoo card, I guess.

14. HemiMG

HemiMG

Better hurry, I hear that Unity 5.5 will drop support for Glide.

RockoDyne, Elecman and Ony like this.
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's important for AMD to remain 2nd best, fighting Nvidia would cost both companies money. 2nd best is never a bad thing, there's a price point for everything and amd pretty much own everything below, gpu wise. Plus all consoles.

McMayhem likes this.
  16. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I am definitely buying a GTX 1080 to replace my GTX 780. No question about it.

17. QFSW

QFSW

I've got a 970 Strix atm, but to be perfectly honest i think it will suffice :D

18. virror

virror

A lot of talk here about performance. Im really interested as well about the technologies they announced like multi viewport support, physical based audio and physics based haptics. I really hope we get to see support in Unity for those things cause it sounds like it will make wonders for VR :D

19. HemiMG

HemiMG

The VR aspect is what I find really exciting. I'm glad I didn't rush out and buy a computer with a 970 or better when it was announced as a requirement for Oculus. I didn't rush out and buy and Oculus either, but I digress. I suspect that the 1080 will become a soft requirement to get the best VR experience as I can't imagine developers not wanting to take advantage of the power that it gives them. I know I'd love to get my hands on one and see what I could do with it.

Ony likes this.
  20. Arowx

Arowx

This is why I have been telling people on the forum not to upgrade yet.

Hold out a bit longer to see what AMD bring to the GPU table and if you can hold off until AMD drop their Zen CPU then you can probably get a much cheaper and more performant setup for your money.

Note this is a drop in die size for GPU's and CPU's and they are coming round less frequently now.

GPU
    2010 - 2012 40 nm
    2012 - 2016 28 nm
    2016 - 16 nm

Ryiah likes this.
  21. virror

virror

If AMD does not support multi viewport, i think they are pretty out of the VR game, since its a huge thing to be able to render in stereo in one pass. Competition is always good though : )

22. HemiMG

HemiMG

Unless I get some surprise funding, or find myself a sugar mamma, I'm not going to be upgrading to anything anytime soon. ;-)

Whippets likes this.
  23. QFSW

QFSW

Well I built this rig with a 970 when my previous computer was a 2011 macbook air xD, so if i waited around for the next gen i'd forever be waiting
    But i agree, if i already had a decent computer i wouldnt have upgraded

24. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

25. virror

virror

That would be a win for all of us for sure : )

26. HemiMG

HemiMG

I've got a laptop with a 970m when my previous was a 2009 iMac. So I'm pretty good from a performance standpoint. I reckon the 970m is a reasonable baseline for VR. Non-VR experiences would need to be playable on something older of course. It'd still be nice to have that 1080 to see how high I could get away with making default settings for the highest graphic preset. Maybe a beta tester will have one when that time comes.

27. Ryiah

Ryiah

Same. Though with that said I ordered a 960 this morning as a temporary card until the 1080 Ti is released. At that point I'll be sticking the 960 into my dad's gaming rig (he primarily sticks to old games, but his card is ancient at this point).

They were showing off the 1080 running games at maximum settings and never dipping below 60 FPS. One of the biggest advantages brought by hardware ramping up to VR capacities isn't the actual VR but the smooth gameplay it'll bring the rest of us who are still gaming on normal monitors.

Speaking of normal monitors I noticed there are now 1440p monitors with IPS panels that hit 144Hz. Totally on my wish list.

28. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Have you used IPS monitors before? I'd advise against it; "IPS glow" is a thing and I found it really annoying if you do gaming/video. I ended up switching to a VA panel, which is pretty rare, but seems like the best compromise when it comes to LCD tech.

--Eric

Ryiah likes this.
  29. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. I've only bought budget TN monitors from Acer. That's good to know though and yet another thing I'll have to research into prior to an upgrade. What I'd really like for monitors is a reasonably high quality monitor for gaming as well as game development with a budget monitor on each side for browsers, code, docs, etc.

30. QFSW

QFSW

Im using an IPS AOC monitor right now; i cant speak for all IPS but this one seems really great without any noticeable glow

31. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

IPS is fine for most desktop stuff, but anything where the screen is at all dark, the glow is pretty pronounced. It has to do with viewing angle, so is worse for larger monitors (unless you sit really far away). It seems to be an inherent limitation of the technology, but maybe someone figured out a way around it?

--Eric

32. QFSW

QFSW

I dont know, it might have IPS glow but just not visible in my usage
    its 23 inch but i sit with my head less than a meter away facing directly at it
    most colour critical stuff i do is very bright and vibrant

33. Meltdown

Meltdown

Well that's just awesome, I was toying of getting a second GTX970 FTW edition to run SLI, as owning a new 4k monitor and having to play most games in 2560x1440 resolution of course, is not good enough.

The New 1080 looks like a winner.

If anyone is on the market for a 4k monitor, I couldn't highly recommend enough the
    Asus MG28UQ 28"

Coding in Visual Studio with this thing is insane, never has code looked so awesome...

pcg and Ryiah like this.
  34. Meltdown

Meltdown

To be honest, I think the tech for much faster GPU's exists, but in order to maximise yearly profits, they drip feed the tech to consumers each year.

sfjohansson and Ryiah like this.
  35. virror

virror

I think it's more a matter of cost of manufacturing vs retail price. Than drip feeding though.

36. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Yay! More tech Unity can not support for a few years!

No 970m won't run most VR content.

Nearly everyone with a VR setup is using a standard 970 so it will be the benchmark for at least a year or two. A 1060 or 1050 with similar performance at a lower price would be great though. I'm guessing at this point it will be the 1050 that is VR ready and will become the standard on new setups.

37. Player7

Player7

Well the ability for AMD and Intel to simply increase the motherboard and cpu socket sizes and start adding more cores over a larger surface is there aswel.. they been in this drive get more performance out of the same socket size for ages, but for most pc users its not like it really matters what difference does it make if the cpu size is 2x the surface size, .. and if you gain a bunch more raw cpu speed from it...Its not like gfx card makers give a crap about the size of the gfx cards for their cooling. I guess the real problem is not enough general users really make use of extra cores and raw cpu for rendering/encoding/compiling/servers etc... game engines still don't fully utilize more than 2+ cpu cores.. it seems for x86 cpu's there is an industry agreement not to give consumers too much raw cpu power without a huge premium on it, kinda stupid but then look at them now they're getting F***ed sideways by Arm cpu's manufactures and the mobile sector, and the consumers are fine with that..so much for driving cpu sizes down with increased performance it wasn't enough, most consumers are fine with a tablet using an Arm cpu over a laptop using x86 cpu lol. I hope AMD break the mold/agreement and start dumping cpu cores on the socket, I mean they kinda had to anyway to keep up with Intel singlethread performance... And their zen cpu sounds like that is exactly what they'll be doing with there base spec 8core/16threads, if that competes well with intels i7 8core something like the 5960X at a price that will make intel pissed... then I'm sold, desktop users might finally be able to get some real improvements in overal computing power for price/performance ratio again over previous generation cpu... ofc if it just competes with intel's i7 4core cpu lineups, then meh continued disappointment, no need to upgrade or replace anything for that poor improvement.

"Asus MG28UQ 28"
    I dunno I would never buy anything less than 120hz for an lcd now, for the longest time I kept my crt for 100hz gaming back in 2000-2010 days when crt tech got phased out for crap 60hz lcd's with poor response times, and input lag, I guess during that console period where game developers abandoned pc as the main platform for consoles and thought 30-60fps was good enough.... but now that lcd's don't have those responsive problems and true 120hz+ lcd's are a thing, its just simply not worth going back to 60hz they do generally get the better IPS tech which gives higher quality color depth like 8-10bit+, but they have problems pushing that at high refresh rates like 120hz, while the faster lcd's at 120hz+ tend to be TN based which kinda have poorer 6bit color and use tricks to represent 8bit color (good enough for most but not so good for creative professionals who want better screen color representation without the hassles of tuning which can only get so close), but that's changing aswel now ...And I've been waiting for 4k @120hz for a while, or displayport 1.4 tech.. not because I plan to jump in early, I give it another year or so for the screens and gfx/cpu (ok maybe not cpu) hardware to improve some more and come down in price, but its definitely the next upgrade step and now it seems closer.

DxStd_IgnatPribylov likes this.
  38. QFSW

QFSW

Whats the difference that monitor and this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JEZT...lid=1Y7FWREX3UGW8&coliid=I26XJXH119EWOH&psc=1

im genuinely interested as I'd like a 4k panel in a few months or so

39. HemiMG

HemiMG

I didn't mean necessarily for running it. I meant for developing it. If my 970m can run my games at an acceptable rate, then anyone running VR will be able to. Either that, or they will realize that their card doesn't meet the requirements.

TylerPerry likes this.
  40. Meltdown

Meltdown

41. QFSW

QFSW

They're separate model. Your's is £40 more in my region but the stand design is definitely so they arent the same, but i cant see any functional difference

42. zenGarden

zenGarden

I agree on that, this is something that would really motivate me to change my GTX.

43. QFSW

QFSW

I sure do hope we get Strix editions for the 1080 and 1070

44. Elecman

Elecman

Dude, you really need to learn how to format your "code".

45. QFSW

QFSW

Haha, it was quite an intimidating wall not gonna lie

46. Ryiah

Ryiah

If it were a simple matter to just increase the die space don't you think they would have done it already?

47. QFSW

QFSW

If you're gonna try to make a CPU better by making it better then wont your thermals and power consumption scale with it?

48. docsavage

docsavage

Been avoiding anything made by nvidia since they released a dodgy laptop gpu and then paid dell some compensation hoping it would cover it. I only found out years after so that resulted in me scrapping a top spec dell that was working fantastic other than that GPU. People probably have had similar experiences with other companies but that's mine so I don't even look at nvidia when buying a gpu. As far as I am concerned they owe me 1500 for the laptop that they left useless. If anyone from nvidia is reading this and you want to send me a new top spec card as a good will gesture then I am prepared to change my mind.

49. QFSW

QFSW

Your one boycott isnt gonna hurt them, they wont even notice
    dont expect a free GPU ;)

50. docsavage

docsavage

I know. Don't expect anything from them. Been happy enough with the AMD cards.They have also been running more efficiently so I have saved some money on electric at least. :)