Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Numinis Online

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by prefix, Apr 28, 2012.

1. prefix

prefix

Good afternoon ladies and gents,

We are excited to finally announce the development of Numinis Online.

Numinis Online is an intense, fast, player versus player game with a medieval / fantasy style setting. Several playable maps including a 1 versus 1 arena, and up to 30 versus 30 battlegrounds. Numinis Online is a first person as well as third person view war zone. Decimate your enemy's in close combat, ranged, magical or any of these combinations, as well as obliterating your enemy from above. Ride dragons to aid your team, or tip the balance of war in your favor with over 400 ability combos in your arsenal.

Our development goal is to mold a medieval / fantasy based game into a crazy, adrenaline pumping, non stop action component of your daily lives :) . We aim to take you from log in, to battle prep and actual battling within as little as 30 seconds from start to play. There is no persistent world.. so log in, avoid death, kill a few people, earn achievements, rinse and repeat or log out :D

Of course if you like to top the charts, you may want to linger a while in our battle prep area, where you will be able to customize your characters appearance. This is particularly important, as the gear you wear, will certainly benefit your play-style. Whether your into ranged (archery), magic, or melee, you will be able to wield all three combinations, in any combination of your choosing, so long as you have the time to utilize them all to avoid death, or kill the opponent.

Perhaps you've indulged yourself in games where you like to take the entire battle into your own hands. Take flight! Hop on the nearest dragon and reek havoc on your foes! Be careful though, there are sure to be other enemy "aeronautical things" in the area.

Wield magic, carry bows, and slash your way through enemy strongholds with your melee weapon all at the same time! There are no limits to the combination of abilities at your finger-tips. Your limit is your mind.

If ripping through the sky, bombarding your opponent, setting your enemy on fire, or flailing your pole-arm around isn't intense enough, jump on one of several ground mounts, ready to take you into battle in a moments notice!

Numinis Online will be entering beta in summer 2013

You can play the very basic DEMO of dragon flight. This demo is to familiarize the player with basic controls and to give us feedback one how we can improve. These are tricky controls and we would love to hear what you have to say about it!

DRAGON FLIGHT DEMO

We thank the Unity Community for your support, and welcome everyone to our first development, NuminisOnline.com and hope to see you in beta!!!

Update: 17 June 2012

A short clip of the buff, Divine Barrier. One of several in game, buffs, abilities and spells.

A short clip of the spell, Lighting Strike. One of several in game, buffs, abilities and spells.

Overview

Q&A Interview
    [video=youtube_share;alNUt8TFbUw]http://youtu.be/alNUt8TFbUw

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  2. aixaix

aixaix

That looks amazing..
    Keep up the good work!

3. prefix

prefix

Thank you very much aixaix! That support is a great to hear. You take care as well! :)

4. Marrt

Marrt

Looks like the sword hits are realistically calculated, i missed "Die By The Sword" mechanic.
    Gameplay is King and the only aspect for rating mmos imho. This looks interesting!

5. prefix

prefix

Hi Marrt,

Thank you for the comment! We are working on trying to bring that feel back, where skill and precision dominate!! :)

6. Meltdown

Meltdown

Looking pretty good so far!

Good luck with your project :)

7. prefix

prefix

Thanks for the well wishes Meltdown, much appreciated!

8. adamh1

adamh1

very impressive, one to keep an eye on!

9. prefix

prefix

Thanks adamh1!

10. Prion Games

Prion Games

This looks fantastic :) Love the art style.

11. prefix

prefix

Hey Josh, thank you kindly. We hope to release more pictures and video during beta for everyone to enjoy.

12. gore23

gore23

How do you deal with realistic weapon precision ? seems you have it down well. I am making a medieval game but I am not sure how to get that part to work.

13. prefix

prefix

Hi gore, great question! It took a few different approaches to get what we were looking for. It really depends on what your end goal is for which type of method you would like to use. Here are a few ideas to help you get started.

You could:
    instantiate your hit effect based on a collision at the point of the weapon.
    likewise, instantiate your effect based on the collision mesh vertices of the object being "hit".
    or created "child" collision areas on your game objects that instantiate which type of effect you would like.
    You could also utilize a ray cast, to grab the desired effect that your looking for.

There are quite a few different approaches, and I hope that I've answered your question or set you on the right path. Good Luck with your development !!!

14. gore23

gore23

15. sherlockturtle

sherlockturtle

Looks epic! Keep up the great work.

16. prefix

prefix

As it is right now we are using rigidbodies and colliders as colliders instead of triggers. As long as one of the colliders is not kinematic it will trigger the OnCollision functions instead of the OnTrigger functions. Using it as a trigger will not send the appropriate collision information to figure out the contact points and relative velocity for adding force.

As for making the feature similar to the one in the video I can only make guesses on their specific process, but there methods emphasizes on detection accuracy and ours is focused more on physics detection at the moment. It may be a good idea to find a half way point to try to get the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps! Please, keep us posted with your progress too!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  17. prefix

prefix

Thank you so much for the encouragement, sherlockturtle! We will continue to post updates as they happen, so be sure to check in periodically!

18. reissgrant

reissgrant

Looks great so far!! Will keep an eye on this!!

19. prefix

prefix

Thank you reissgrant! A game is only as good as its player base! :)

20. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I recognise those models ;-)

looking good

21. prefix

prefix

Thank you for your support jlcnz! Much appreciated !! Now sign up and lets get this PvP roll'n! ;)

22. prefix

prefix

Numinis Online is now on KickStarter. Thank you all for your support and continued support as we see this project come to completion!

KickStarter/NuminisOnline

23. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I see alot of these kickstarter threads lately, and I always go and look, and find the pledges very unappealing...

First up, how much do you intend on selling the final game for? It seems, based on your pledges, you will be going for around 50? That's very very optimistic for an indie game. Im hesitant about paying that for a AAA game let alone indie. If you can get it, fantastic, but I might suggest setting your sights lower... which leads me into the main point...

$5 for a thank you email? $25 for beta access? If you are planning on releasing the game for less than $25, why would people want to support your kickstarter? Maybe im completely missing the point of KS, but if your not giving your 'investors' something decent, you wont get any. The way I see KS, is you are effectively getting pre-sales, and offering more (preferably a lot more) than that for anyone who wants to sink a bit more cash into the idea to see it through.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts.

Good luck

24. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I would have to agree with this. From a potential customer's view, you have to make it worth my while by essentially giving my a good reason to back your game and not any of the games I looked at previously. I'm sorry to say that if this is the best you can do for pledges, I won't be interested.

However, from an amateur developer's point of view, I love what you are doing with this game. I think it will be refreshing for a lot of new or old mmo gamers.

25. prefix

prefix

Thanks jlcnz and OmniverseProductions!

After reading your feedback we have modified our rewards to include a copy of the game at a donation amount of $25. Thank you for bringing that to our attention and for such thorough input. It is always nice to get well communicated constructive criticisms!

Thanks again!

26. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Went and had another review and those are significantly better pledges. Good to see you taking on the feedback and making appropriate changes!

27. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I agree the pledges are much better.

28. Baracuda771

Baracuda771

oh boy here we go. Looking good, but don't get your hopes up everybody.

29. prefix

prefix

Thanks again jlcnz and Omniverse!

30. herpderpy

herpderpy

I liked it until you posted a kickstarter link.

For god sake, kickstarter isn't for fricking game projects. Kickstarter is for funding things that people actually WANT, not what you want to make. I'm sorry, but I really don't like people who try to develop with other peoples money. If you can't afford it, don't do it (Or work out a way to get your money apart from begging).

31. Priske415

Priske415

$42,000 is a really high goal, I dont understand why people shoot them selves in the foot like that. Why not set a goal at a the very lowest amount of money you need to push the game out the door in a a cardboard box? That why you will more then likely get ATLEAST enough to finish it and then get X amount more depending on how popular it is. When you set your goal at $42,000 you have a seriously slim chance at reaching it.

32. prefix

prefix

Hi alex95 and Priske415,

Thank you very much for your comments. KickStarter is simply another tool on the web to help push things along for .. well .. anyone. We do thank you also for liking the development of Numinis Online and would hope to retain your support. We (the developers) have full time jobs, families and so on, like many other developers here and around the world. We develop as much as we are able to, as often as we are able to.

It's unfortunate that we are not in a position to have a large population of individuals working on the project, but we are fortunate enough to have the talent, drive and most important family support to continue the development. So whether or not KickStarter helps us obtain our goal at a faster pace, the game will most certainly be developed, completed and released in 2012 :)

Again we thank you for your feedback, and if you're still interested, to please register at NuminisOnline.com and participate in our beta program when it is available. We would certainly appreciate your honest feedback!

Thanks again for your comments, much appreciated!

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  33. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I disagree completely. If kickstarter isn't for games than why do they allow people to post game projects on there? Also, if people don't want to fund the project they won't and the same goes the other way around. Next, you have every right to not like people who try to develop with other people's money, but some people just aren't fortunate enough to have a large team, large amount of cash, or both. Finally, I fail to see how putting a kickstarter page up to get funds is begging. I could see your point if this team worded as such, but they aren't.

34. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

KickStarter is for any business.

Saying its not for games is stupid.

42K is on the high side, but if that was to include wages, it would be on the low side. I heard someone say that if you dont reach your goal you dont get any of it? Can anyone confirm that? Sounded wrong to me. Maybe I should go read the FAQ. Ill probably do a KS at some point, although it will be a much smaller amount. Maybe 5k. I hate asking for money if I cant give a definite finish date though.

35. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

That's true. As far as I know with kickstarter you don't get anything if the project doesn't make the funding goal. Kinda sucks too. I know some others aren't like that but I can't remember the name. It started with an I.

36. FusionGames

FusionGames

I believe you're thinking of IndieGogo. It allows you to keep whatever money you make, even if you don't reach the goal. It is also available to people outside the US. However, I have heard that not nearly as many people donate to projects on IndieGogo...so honestly I'm not sure which is the better option.

37. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

That would be really annoying if you set your goal at 50k and got 48k... I mean 2k is bugger all in the grand scheme of things!~

38. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Yeah that was it. Kickstarter seems to be the best option.

39. prefix

prefix

Hello everyone!

We will be uploading a deVid (development video) periodically, going more in depth of the different aspects of game-play. We will be uploading our first deVid in June covering Abilities. You can keep an eye out for it on our Numinis Online Site, or on our YouTube Channel.

We've only been public for a few days and are doing very well! Thanks to the community here!!

Regards

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  40. prefix

prefix

Hello Unity Community, its been a month or so since we've last spoke with you. We've been hard into development. We tried our hand with Kickstarter and resulted in little success. Not to worry, that doesn't end for us there! We will drive on, and develop as often as we are able! We still plan on a release of 2012, and entering beta in summer 2012. Obviously with little funds, it will take slightly longer!

A short clip of the buff, Divine Barrier. One of several in game, buffs, abilities and spells.
    http://youtu.be/j3S88MalyCM

A short clip of the spell, Lighting Strike. One of several in game, buffs, abilities and spells.
    http://youtu.be/noocA00tHt8

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  41. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

wow! amazing trailer!

game looks awsome.

42. prefix

prefix

Thank you Snowconesolid,

Like many of us here, we are learning just as much as we are developing. One thing we can say for sure is... Each developer will wear MANY hats. As far as video is concerned, it was fun for sure, but VERY tedious :)

43. prefix

prefix

Hello all! We would like to thank each and every one of you for the support we've encountered through our development process. I would like recap and briefly describe our development status.

As you are aware, we did not meet our Kickstarter goal (by a long shot). But that's ok, we are determined to drive on and complete this project! We were met with some pretty tough challenges personally,professionally, and financially. Admittedly, we missed our launch date due to financial constraints, but again, we will not let that detour us! We also entered into our beta phase in late Summer 2012. It was a huge eye opener, and we seen a great deal of opportunity where we fell short in some areas. On the technical side of things, we also learned a pretty good deal, enough to where we took beta down, reverted back to an Alpha type environment to re-evaluate and re-design some core structures and functionality.

Having said that, we re-educated ourselves on a few key areas of development, and since then, we have paved some serious development progress and feel even more confident in our different approach.

As we close in on our new and improved beta release, I would like to ask for your support yet again on Steam Greenlight. If you have a steam account and would like to "Vote-Up" our game to be green lit, you can do so here Numinis Online

Thanks again everyone and... HAPPY HOLIDAYS !

44. prefix

prefix

Hey all, we are back! As some of you are aware, we have been developing Numinis Online, a Fantasy + FPS multiplayer game. Its been a long road, fun, challenging and soon to be rewarding! We are nearing completion of milestone 7 of 10, and would like to get some feedback from you. Please keep in mind when giving feedback, we are only a team of 2, and about $0 backing this project. :eek: But we are very open minded and receptive to your comments.

Since our last post we have:
    Submitted our game to Steam: Greenlight. Though we have several thousand Up-votes, we could still use some more of your support!
    We have launched a campaign on Indiegogo.
    oh and ... Finally got the dawg-on dragons to fly as we intended among many other things. :p

Thanks for reading all!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  45. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

I have to say, I like the look of the characters, equipement and animation and such! BUT, the environment around it looks a lot less appealing (I won't say awfull, but it's severely lacking in some of the videos I've seen) Try getting a good looking grass shader or something, place rubble all over the place and just make sure it doesn't look that flat or boring. It may not seem like a huge problem from a developer's point of view, but it gives a very cheap impression for the customer. That's my only critism for now. For everything else, keep up the good work :D

46. prefix

prefix

Thanks Wasstraat65! That kind of feedback is crucial and greatly appreciated! You are absolutely correct and we will certainly work on that aspect of the environment. Again thank you and good luck to you on your project. If we can help, or support in anyway, please message me!

47. prefix

prefix

Hi all, we're back yet again with some Q A Video, courtesy of the Unity community's very own Eteeski.

[video=youtube_share;alNUt8TFbUw]http://youtu.be/alNUt8TFbUw

You can play the very basic DEMO of dragon flight. This demo is to familiarize the player with basic controls and to give us feedback one how we can improve. These are tricky controls and we would love to hear what you have to say about it!

DRAGON FLIGHT DEMO

Last edited: May 15, 2013