Search Unity

Numerical Control of elements

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Sun-Dog, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

Is there a way to get numerical control when scaling faces or other similar operations?

Let's say I have a cube and I want to inset the faces on several sides identically. I would want to shift-scale and shift-translate each face... but to do this identically, I'd need numerical control - and I can't seem to find a way to do that.

Hints? Suggestions?

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! You can set exact extrude amounts via the Extrude Settings panel (alt-click the icon, or click the "+" button next to it if in text mode). However, there is no "Inset" tool (it just works via shift-scale), so no option there yet, sorry. Come to think of it, that's one of those fairly minor updates we should really get moving...

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  3. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

Woah! Thanks for the reply. I was playing with grids as well, which I've just discovered, and that helped a tiny bit.

One test example is:
    PillarExample.png

In this example, I would want to make each face inset in a way that is similar if not identical, and currently it seems like I'm eyeballing it.

Coincidentally, what became the underlying shape of this test pillar was me selecting all 4 faces and trying to do a "Shift-Scale" on the multiple selected faces. This beveled the sides, inward in this case. It didn't do what I wanted it to do, inset each face identically, but it was certainly a useful function.

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Yep, holding "SHIFT" will always extrude, in the direction of the axis you choose. That works nicely with the "move" tool of course, and somewhat less intuitively with the "scale" tool. Try SHIFT-dragging on a single scale axis to see how that works (just remember, PB doesn't auto-weld verts to edges, so you'll have some zero-area faces to deal with...)