Search Unity

Number of users and retention

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by miracledojo, Feb 14, 2017.

1. miracledojo

miracledojo

Hello people,
    I have started using Unity analytics for my first game few months ago. I have several question for those with more experience.
    First, i have issue with DAU. When we can say for some user that he is active player? What is the criteria?
    Also, total number of users is greater than the number of accounts created in my database. Where is the difference?
    Also what is the criteria for retention, my one day retention is about 35-40 % and it happends that this percentage is greater than realistic.
    Thank you :D

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

If we receive any event from a user in the last 90 days, then they count as an Active user.

Unity Analytics only counts devices, not necessarily users, so that is one possible reason for a discrepancy. We also attempt to preserver the userid through updates; however, if the userid is ever deleted from the user's device, then a new userid will be issued and they will be treated as a New User.

Day N retention is defined as the number of users playing exactly N days after their first session divided by the number of new users N days ago.

Also, the definitions of that metric and others are available as tooltips in the Overview page of the dashboard, if you hover over the question mark (?) icons.

3. miracledojo

miracledojo

Thank you very much for the answer, but i need further explanation about daily active users because if someone is active user if he was active in 90 days ago, our statistics shows different data. What is the criteria for Daily Active User?

4. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@miracledojo,

The Daily Active User is a count of the unique userids that we see from your app in that day.

If you find any discrepancies in your data, please send us a support ticket and we will take a look into our database and see if we can discover the cause.

https://analytics.cloud.unity3d.com/support/

5. krisventure

krisventure

@ap-unity does this mean if I uninstall the app and re-install it I'll be counted with a different user id, as a new user? We see way higher user numbers that we've ever even invited on TestFlight.

In iTunes Connect I see 20 under the all testers (both internal and external testers included), only 14 has even accepted the test invitation and downloaded the game, yet I see 36 'members' at the 'All current users'.

bombsquare likes this.
  6. krisventure

krisventure

Anyone looking for this answer, my above assumption was later confirmed by unityads-support@unity3d.com so yeah, uninstalling, re-installing counts as a new user each time. In my experience emailing to unityads-support@unity3d.com is the fastest way to get answers about Unity Ads, IAP and analytics.