Search Unity

NullReferenceException when entering play mode or building

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by zvinless, Jun 21, 2019.

1. zvinless

zvinless

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetEntry.CreateCatalogEntries (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] entries, System.Boolean isBundled, System.String providerType, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] deps, System.Object extraData) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Settings/AddressableAssetEntry.cs:478) UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.BuildScriptBase.CreateLocationsForPlayerData (UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.GroupSchemas.PlayerDataGroupSchema playerDataSchema, UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetGroup assetGroup, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] locations) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Build/DataBuilders/BuildScriptBase.cs:144) UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.BuildScriptPackedMode.ProcessPlayerDataSchema (UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.GroupSchemas.PlayerDataGroupSchema schema, UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetGroup assetGroup, UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.AddressableAssetsBuildContext aaContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Build/DataBuilders/BuildScriptPackedMode.cs:235)

I get this error whenever I enter play mode or try to build on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4, which doesn't seem to affect playing in the editor but does cause builds to fail. I'm not sure what might be causing my project to get into a state where the error occurs, deleting my Library folder resolves the issue. Obviously some object returned from AssetDatabase.LoadAllAssetRepresentationsAtPath(AssetPath); is null, but I'm not familiar with that API.

2. Birkeman

Birkeman

I'm getting a similar error in play mode. If I hit Build->Build Player Content I also get this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetEntry.CheckForEditorAssembly (System.Type& t, System.String internalId) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.4-preview/Editor/Settings/AddressableAssetEntry.cs:499)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetEntry.CreateCatalogEntries (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] entries, System.Boolean isBundled, System.String providerType, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] deps, System.Object extraData) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.4-preview/Editor/Settings/AddressableAssetEntry.cs:471)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.BuildScriptBase.CreateLocationsForPlayerData (UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.GroupSchemas.PlayerDataGroupSchema playerDataSchema, UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetGroup assetGroup, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] locations) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.4-preview/Editor/Build/DataBuilders/BuildScriptBase.cs:144)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.BuildScriptPackedMode.ProcessPlayerDataSchema (UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.GroupSchemas.PlayerDataGroupSchema schema, UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetGroup assetGroup, UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.AddressableAssetsBuildContext aaContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.4-preview/Editor/Build/DataBuilders/BuildScriptPackedMode.cs:235)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.BuildScriptPackedMode.ProcessGroupSchema (UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetGroupSchema schema, UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetGroup assetGroup, UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.AddressableAssetsBuildContext aaContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.4-preview/Editor/Build/DataBuilders/BuildScriptPackedMode.cs:223)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.BuildScriptPackedMode.ProcessGroup (UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetGroup assetGroup, UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.AddressableAssetsBuildContext aaContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.4-preview/Editor/Build/DataBuilders/BuildScriptPackedMode.cs:202)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.BuildScriptBase.ProcessAllGroups (UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.AddressableAssetsBuildContext aaContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.4-preview/Editor/Build/DataBuilders/BuildScriptBase.cs:96)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.BuildScriptPackedMode.BuildDataImplementation[TResult] (UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.AddressablesDataBuilderInput builderInput) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.4-preview/Editor/Build/DataBuilders/BuildScriptPackedMode.cs:84)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.BuildScriptBase.BuildData[TResult] (UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.AddressablesDataBuilderInput builderInput) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.4-preview/Editor/Build/DataBuilders/BuildScriptBase.cs:60)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetSettings.BuildPlayerContentImpl () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.4-preview/Editor/Settings/AddressableAssetSettings.cs:1613)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetSettings.BuildPlayerContent () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.4-preview/Editor/Settings/AddressableAssetSettings.cs:1595)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.GUI.AddressableAssetsSettingsGroupEditor.OnBuildPlayerData () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.1.4-preview/Editor/GUI/AddressableAssetsSettingsGroupEditor.cs:239)
    UnityEditor.GenericMenu.CatchMenu (System.Object userData, System.String[] options, System.Int32 selected) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/GenericMenu.cs:121)

I have two assets in a custom local group.

3. Birkeman

Birkeman

Update: I got it working with the 0.8.6 package in 2018.3.7f1

4. wtksana_unity

wtksana_unity

my project update package from 0.8.6 to 1.1.4
    got same problem

5. HastilyAssembledGames

HastilyAssembledGames

6. hugebug

hugebug

Same here.
    The same code builds well on iOS, but failed with the error on building Android

7. jesta

jesta

Same error

8. UDN_fae632a8-38d8-4a02-aea5-a51354265256

UDN_fae632a8-38d8-4a02-aea5-a51354265256

Deleting the Library folder solved this error for me. I had just updated from 0.8.6 to 1.1.4

9. Konstantin_Playtino

Konstantin_Playtino

10. xKosta

xKosta

Hi everyone, small update, this error occures only if you have files (prefabs) with missing script, see the image. I am pretty sure that this caused the issue, also debugger helped me to find the assets. Now I am facing a different problem, "Invalid IL code in ...". Version 1.1.4 seems to be not stable.

Attached Files:

11. androshchuk-vladyslav

androshchuk-vladyslav

The same, guys may you fix this?) Thanks!

upload_2019-7-11_15-36-0.png

12. xKosta

xKosta

Attach the Debugger and just walk back the call stack, one step or so. There will be a sceneasset and the corresponding path. Check the file, probably it has a missing Script.

13. androshchuk-vladyslav

androshchuk-vladyslav

Ye, the problem was: in build settings was added a scene which no longer exists in project.

xKosta likes this.
  14. unity_bill

unity_bill

Thanks for tracking this down. I've made a ticket for us to put in guards against this.

15. joshcamas

joshcamas

How do you guys find the prefab that is causing this? What is the Debugger?

16. androshchuk-vladyslav

androshchuk-vladyslav

I have used Rider with debugger enabled. Additionally I have enabled "Any Exeption" breakpoint.

joshcamas likes this.
  17. zhengying

zhengying

I have same problem! Version 1.1.5. no missing script.
    how to resolve it.

18. Beardshaker

Beardshaker

Had similiar issues, when my groups contained filetypes that are not supported by AssetBundles (like .txt files in our case). Double check if you accidentially got some of those in, for example by marking a whole folder for being addressable.

19. unity_bill

unity_bill

This should be fixed with 1.1.7 which will be out soon. If not, please let us know (with some additional details).

Good point, we should make a check to ensure that builds correctly. Thanks for the tip.

20. lloydv

lloydv

I got this error using Addressables 1.1.10 in Unity 2018.4.8

I eventually tracked it down to a ghosted text mesh pro atlas (possibly a result of TMP automatically upgrading when I updated my project from 2018.4.1). The invalid asset was being included as a null value in the result of
    AssetDatabase.LoadAllAssetRepresentationsAtPath(AssetPath).

In the project view, the TMP asset appeared to have not one but two atlases along with its base material, one of which wouldn't show any inspector options so I guess it was broken in some way.

Updating and re-saving the TMP asset made the faulty atlas go away, and Addressables was able to build/load successfully.

unity_bill likes this.