Search Unity

TextMesh Pro NullReferenceException in TextMeshProUGUI

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Deleted User, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm trying to use a custom font with TMP. TextMeshPro version is 2.0.1.
    Here is the error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.GenerateTextMesh () (at Packages/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1/Scripts/Runtime/TMPro_UGUI_Private.cs:2025)
    TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.OnPreRenderCanvas () (at Packages/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1/Scripts/Runtime/TMPro_UGUI_Private.cs:1656)
    TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.Rebuild (UnityEngine.UI.CanvasUpdate update) (at Packages/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1/Scripts/Runtime/TextMeshProUGUI.cs:209)
    UnityEngine.UI.CanvasUpdateRegistry.PerformUpdate () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/2019.2.0f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/UI/Core/CanvasUpdateRegistry.cs:198)
    UnityEngine.Canvas:SendWillRenderCanvases()

What is the problem?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

If I specify the Liberation Sans font as fallback, the error goes away.

3. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Is this a new font asset that you are creating?

Are you creating it using the Font Asset Creator or selecting the font file and using the Context Menu Create - TextMeshPro - Font Asset?

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm creating a new font asset using Font Asset Creator window.

Since the font is likely not standard (This is one of those free fonts on the web), I guess there's something missing in the font file that causes TMP to throw errors. Is there anything that I can check for?

I'm using Unicode Range to generate font asset. Can a missing character in those Unicode Ranges lead to this error?

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Most likely, there is some issue with the font file. Can you provide me with a link to this font?