Search Unity

NullReferenceException in an empty project.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sorien, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Sorien

Sorien

I just started using Unity and created an empty project... when I try to "Play" it I get the following error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.GridPaintingState.UnregisterPainterInterest (UnityEngine.Object painter) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TilemapEditor/Editor/Managed/Grid/GridPaintingState.cs:197)
    UnityEditor.GridPaintPaletteWindow.OnDisable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TilemapEditor/Editor/Managed/Grid/GridPaintPaletteWindow.cs:565)

This only happens if I have the "Tile Palette" window open. Any idea what's causing it?

Deleted User and megadavido like this.
  2. cortexwayne

cortexwayne

Hi, Since I have updated to 2017.3 I have the same issue. I cannot select my Active Tilemap anymore from my Tile Palette to paint.

3. VisamP

VisamP

I'm getting the same error but it doesn't seem to cause any issues that I've found so far (other than an annoying error msg).
    It would be nice to know what's causing it and fix it though...

4. DavidSof

DavidSof

After updated to 2017.3 have same issue on empty project ,But I can still run the game

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If you found a bug in Unity, it's recommended to submit a bug-report following the advice given in this document.

Using the bug-reporter seems to be an important step, because it makes sure the report is in Unity Technologies bug-tracking pipeline, has to be processed at some point and you can kind of track if it's fixed. Using the forum is often used to add to a little more attention to a bug-report, but does not replace submitting the bug-report.

It's from advantage to attach a project to the bug-report that UT can use to reproduce the issue and test their fix against. Attaching a video to the bug-report that shows how to reproduce the issue and the issue itself, has been proven useful too.

The easier an issue can be reproduced by QA, the more likely it is to get forwarded to a developer, who might or might not work on a bug-fix for that at some point.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a Case number. UT often asks us to post the Case number in the forum thread, which allows them to find that bug-report if they look at your post.

Following these steps will increase the chance that UT is looking at your issue tremendously.

karl_jones likes this.
  6. TheDogfather

TheDogfather

I'm getting the same error, I reinstalled unity but it doesn't help

7. Nalfarvi

Nalfarvi

Same in an empty project, since i used a tilemap in a previos project. Don't seems to be a real problem, but it would be better to not have this red line at the bottom :)

8. megadavido

megadavido

"This only happens if I have the "Tile Palette" window open", very same for me.

estebanpdl, Akusan and mmmnt like this.
  9. rshmiraf

rshmiraf

Same - If i have the "Tile Pallete" closed there is no error.

Pelochil, estebanpdl and Akusan like this.
  10. smurftra

smurftra

Can report I have the same issue.

11. Toomblercazz

Toomblercazz

Same thing with me, doesn't seem to affect anything though.

12. Fimiam

Fimiam

the same error, but it hasn't brought any problems yet

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

They stated that they fixed the error but I am still encountering it on the newest version.

14. sillyFrench

sillyFrench

hello, having this problem too, guess not fixed yet?

15. blockimperium

blockimperium

Seems to be a common problem. Confused the hell outta my students this weekend. People kept coming up telling me about the error and thinking they had broken their game.

16. bdilloughery

bdilloughery

Same for me, Thank you for the fix (closing the Tile Palette window)

17. mmmnt

mmmnt

Same here. Disappears if "Tile Palette" window cloased

Akusan likes this.
  18. TeohRIK

TeohRIK

This a common editor window error. From my experience, the error will normally come out if the project I now open don't have the editor window script I open from last project, but it not going to affect anything.