Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

"Null reference"

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by zlong1, Oct 13, 2018.

1. zlong1

zlong1

Hello, I'm trying to learn how to script and encountered a null reference error. I know what it indicates, but I cannot figure out what I'm missing. I made another one that works and used its code as a template, but in doing so I created the error. The script is attached to the object that I'm referencing, which as I understand is the object that is supposed to be referenced. Could anyone please offer suggestions as to things that I could look at or even spot an oversight in the code?

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class ShootPowerUp : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     public GameObject pickupEffect;
    6.     PlayerShooting playerShooting;
    7.     public int DamageBoost = 25;
    9.     void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    10.     {
    12.         if (other.CompareTag("Player"))
    13.         {
    14.             ShootPowerPickup(other);
    15.         }
    16.     }
    18.     void ShootPowerPickup(Collider player)
    19.     {
    20.         Instantiate(pickupEffect, transform.position, transform.rotation);
    22.         PlayerShooting power = player.GetComponent<PlayerShooting>();
    23.         power.damagePerShot = power.damagePerShot + DamageBoost; // [B]Null reference[/B] [B]error for this line[/B]
    24.         // Debug.Log("ShootPowerPickup");
    26.         Destroy(gameObject);
    27.     }
    28. }

2. LurkingNinjaDev

LurkingNinjaDev

What is the exact error message and what line referenced in it?

3. TwixEmma

TwixEmma

that error is saying that the power variable which is your PlayerShooting script, is null. Something is going wrong on your player.GetComponent<PlayerShooting>(); line. Make sure the player object has the PlayerShooting script on it.

4. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

Or pickupEffect is unassainged

5. TwixEmma

TwixEmma

Nope it would only be the player object or the GetComponent call, as you're not referencing the pickupEffect object.

6. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest