Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

null reference callback " " for new input system

Discussion in 'Input System' started by ewanchurchill, Mar 30, 2020.

1. ewanchurchill

ewanchurchill

I have started moving to the new input system however when trying to use my action key 'e' to use the PickUp() function it throws me the attached errors.

I have set it up in the same way I have set up opening the menu and that works as expected so I cant understand why the pickup doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,
    Ewan.

Unity1.JPG Unity2.JPG unity3.JPG

2. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Unity Technologies

There's a NullReferenceException in your code at line 128. The original exception is mentioned in the next message after the error message. Bit confusing.

3. ewanchurchill

ewanchurchill

Not sure if this helps but I moved the PickUp() into the Menu() as I know that works but i get the same errors just with the 'tab' key as that's my menu button.

unity4.JPG Unity5.JPG

4. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Unity Technologies

PickupItem.instance is null.

5. ewanchurchill

ewanchurchill

Ah... using instance = this; in my pickupItem script solves the issues but isn't a great solution as it stops me picking up any other items after the first. Is there an alternative to 'public static instance'?

EDIT: Nevermind I fixed the multiple instances issue. thank you for your help

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
unityunity