Search Unity

Null Pointer Exception: Material Get Fallback--odd circumstance

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by lagomosker, Jun 25, 2019.

1. lagomosker

lagomosker

The full message and then the actual source code (untouched by me except for highlighting the problem line) it directs me to is below: I've deleted and reloaded the package as well. What seems especially odd is the trigger: capital letters, specifically a Shift E when I'm in the editor (2019.1.0f2)
    Thank you,
    David

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    TMPro.TMP_MaterialManager.GetFallbackMaterial (UnityEngine.Material sourceMaterial, UnityEngine.Material targetMaterial) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_MaterialManager.cs:365)
    TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.SetArraySizes (TMPro.TMP_Text+UnicodeChar[] chars) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1/Scripts/Runtime/TMPro_UGUI_Private.cs:1344)
    TMPro.TMP_Text.ParseInputText () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_Text.cs:1716)
    TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.OnPreRenderCanvas () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1/Scripts/Runtime/TMPro_UGUI_Private.cs:1637)
    TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.Rebuild (UnityEngine.UI.CanvasUpdate update) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1/Scripts/Runtime/TextMeshProUGUI.cs:209)
    UnityEngine.UI.CanvasUpdateRegistry.PerformUpdate () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/CanvasUpdateRegistry.cs:198)
    UnityEngine.Canvas:SendWillRenderCanvases()

public static Material GetFallbackMaterial (Material sourceMaterial, Material targetMaterial)
    {
    int sourceID = sourceMaterial.GetInstanceID();
    Texture tex = targetMaterial.GetTexture(ShaderUtilities.ID_MainTex);
    int texID = tex.GetInstanceID();
    long key = (long)sourceID << 32 | (long)(uint)texID;

if (m_fallbackMaterials.TryGetValue(key, out FallbackMaterial fallback))
    {
    //Debug.Log("Material [" + fallback.fallbackMaterial.name + "] already exists.");
    return fallback.fallbackMaterial;
    }

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you please submit a bug report with project and steps to enable me to reproduce this? This might be asset specific or something.

Let me know if you do submit a bug report and please provide the Case #.

3. lagomosker

lagomosker

Thanks Stephan. Of course, starting with a clean project, there are no problems. I can replicate it an existing project in a blank scene:
    Create a canvas,
    Add a TextMeshPro Text object
    Change the font asset to Liberation Front SDF Fallback because the non-fallback version just gives me blocks. (That might be a clue).
    Start typing. Shift E throws it all out of whack.

Could removing/re-installing adding in the package manager not be doing a total cleanse and there corrupted artifacts somewhere?

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

In the event the TMP Essential Resources got corrupted in some fashion, you can simply re-import the TMP Essential Resources by going to the Window - TextMeshPro - Import TMP Essential Resources. This will bring up a window of everything that will be imported and allow you to see which assets were actually modified / different. If this issue is due to some of these changes, this should fix it.