Search Unity

NULL Image problem

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by pharaway, Mar 23, 2019.

1. pharaway

pharaway

So, following along with a tutorial about building a grid-based scroll box (like for an RPG inventory) and I am at a total loss about why a simple call to change an Image.sprite turned in to a nightmare of silliness...or maybe I've been staring at it too long and I can't see the solution...

Now the videos are nearly one and a half years old, but I've made other types of UI scroll boxes from these tutorials with no issue at all. Only the Image object seems to be the problem. So I came here and found quite a few NULL Image posts but none quite matched this problem. Most had to do with GetComponent which I use in the function that calls this one and it works fine there - yet this function fails with flying colors...

Anyway any tips I could get here would help. A lot. Very frustrating stuff.

Code (CSharp):
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    5. using UnityEngine.UI;
    7. public class SchedulerGridButton : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    10.     [SerializeField]
    11.     private SchedulerGridControl SchedulerGrid;
    13.     // The culprit...
    14.     public Image iconImg;
    16.     public void SetImage(Sprite myImage)
    17.     {
    18.         // This function is called from another class to set the sprite to change the
    19.         // UI button image. The image is sent and received as it should be but
    20.         // iconImg is always NULL.
    22.         // This proves to me myImage is there because it shows the name of the
    23.         // myImage Sprite name every time I run it.
    24.         Debug.Log("MyImage.name = " + myImage.name);
    26.         /// ...and here is the problem.
    27.         // the sprite that is supposed to be set here cannot because iconImg is
    28.         // always NULL.
    29.         if (iconImg != null)
    30.         { iconImg.sprite = myImage; }
    31.         else { Debug.Log("** iconImg == null"); }
    32.     }
    34. }

2. WarmedxMints

WarmedxMints

You need to assign an image to iconImg. You can either do that in the inspector or from another script.

If you think you have already done that type t:SchedulerGridButton in the hierarchy search box to check that you don't have an instance of the class on a gameobject you didn't know about.

NullReference0 likes this.