Search Unity

Nucleus Project

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by akabane, Dec 30, 2008.

1. akabane

akabane

Hello all, this is my first project in unity, and, overall, my first attempt in making a game.
    I know it may sound overwhelming for a newbie like me, but after some digging in some script, tutorials and mini useless things, i'm trying to make an RTS.
    The tentative name is Nucleus Project.
    It'll be a real time strategic game with a little of GDR elements (experiences, real time dialogs and such), ambiented in a steampunk era (not "pure" steampunk though), and ironic elements.
    It'll not be an usual RTS where the story is a palliative to begin the war, it's the perfect opposite. I already prepared a solid storyboard and the game will develop on that.
    Do not expect massive ultra spacey fizzle boomy giant robots units. The main character (not modeled yet) is a poor guy in a poor land, but the evil enemies want his land. Why? Well, it's too easy to say it now :wink:
    The gameplay also will be different from most of the RTS.
    Little by little i'll be upgrading this post with new info when i feel like it : )

The whole Nucleus Project is made by two separate sub-projects, the game one (developed in unity) and a short film, that will be cut into pieces to fit the missions to do briefings and continue the story.

For now, i plan to release an almost fully functional 2 or 3 levels "demo" with all the cinematics included for about the end of the year, if it all goes as expected.
    In between i'll start to share of course some other demos showing the progresses.

There are some of the stuff i'm modeling for the game, i hope you'll like them.
    PS: I'm a 3d modeler, not a coder...if someone is interested and has a little experience is welcome (in this way he could also teach something! :) )

The graphics will be cell shaded. I hope one day to be able to buy the PRO version of unity, first of all because of the shadows, and then for the other image processing!

Thanks for viewing and replying.
    PS: The tank showed is going to shoot hot steam, and the little robot is going to collect the water that's going to be converted in steam in the starbucks-like giant cup (It's a KESIEV: kubic exponential steam incredible experimental vaporizer)

EDIT: Below are the screens of the low poly models. High poly ones are coming for the cinematics, i'll show them to you soon.

Attached Files:

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Looks and sounds cool, keep us posted as I'm interested in watching how you progress with things. :)

3. Jon

Jon

I assume you're using cinema4D; if you are, it looks like you need a phong tag on the rocks. :)

4. akabane

akabane

Hi Jon, i'm using Maya, that rock is just a tryout for zBrush. (So it's zB imported)
    I have to model again the rocks from scratch, they're actually too hi poly for what they need to be :D
    (Anyway, in Unity all those faces don't show up, they're smooth).
    @HiggyB: Thanks for the post. Right now i'm finishing the modeling, next week i think i'll be able to put a really simple level on Unity and have that going with scripting (at least for selecting and so on).

5. akabane

akabane

And well, after nearly 20431 years from the beginning ( :) ), i have a little update.

http://www.vimeo.com/4545386

EDIT: Don't pay attention to the text in the video. That was for a friend of mine who wanted it :p

Attempting to create a spore-like tank creator.
    The GUI and models are all tentative, since i tried to focus on the coding side (where i'm not that great at all :D )

Cheers,
    Akabane

EDIT2: some images unposted before

6. bloodtiger10

bloodtiger10

wow I'm impressed and I don't say tht often. You've done similar to what I did in one my games except better! (from skyway racer where you can build your won planes and stuff but tht failed after my computer crashed and the data was lost) when is there a demo?

7. akabane

akabane

Hi bloodtiger! Thanks.
    Of course for now there only are a really few pieces to choose from. That's even because i don't really know how to manage unitygui to make things more complex...uhm...for now that's really the only problem, because the core script is finished, so every new piece i insert into the inspector will automatically build a button and relative positions and such. The problem is the correct button placing, spacing and so on.
    Anyway, as soon as i implement animations into that thing, take some more pieces and build an efficient way to save your creations, maybe i'll release a demo of it (the editor) - for the game itself, well, the journey is steep, and looong time has to be spent on it yet to make something decent.

Cheers
    Akabane

8. bloodtiger10

bloodtiger10

ok, also I'm the exact oposite of you, I'm not a 3d modeler but a coder. (C++ javascript unity and regular, java, C# sorta python sorta, the odd lang of logo, Applescript, and some others like ruby. Lol.

9. Menelik

Menelik

complimenti Akabane, davvero un bel progetto! Anche se, mannaggia, speravo di essere l'unico italiano da queste parti ;)

10. Jon

Jon

This is actually quite nice. When you suggested a custom editor, I was quite skeptical, but you pulled it off. :eek: :D The models are great and matching in style; I only hope you add nice textures.

11. akabane

akabane

Thanks Jon, i'm glad i managed to get your skeptcism away :D
    Well, as for the textures...here lies my biggest problem, as you can see, i'm a modeler only (for now :) ) - i'm still searching for some help in the unwrapping/texturing area.
    Thanks for the comment ;)

Ciao Menelik! Grazie per il commento...e rinuncia alla tua speranza, siamo almeno in 3/4 Italiani qui nel forum :twisted: