Search Unity

NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription required for unknown reasons

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by AbeGellis, Apr 26, 2018.

1. AbeGellis

AbeGellis

I attempted to upload my project to iTunes Connect, but was notified that my upload had failed for the following reason:

Missing Info.plist key - This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

A previous upload from a different branch of the project went fine (without any such info.plist key), leading me to believe I've unintentionally introduced some kind of location service call in the current branch. I don't use or want to use Unity's LocationService anywhere in the project, and there are no references to it anywhere in my code or in anything I've included. Additionally, the branch that failed to upload was primarily focused on a UI/data reporting overhaul, and I can't figure out what that could possibly reference to trigger this requirement.

For the time being I've added the key to my info.plist but I'd much prefer that my app didn't erroneously appear to require location data. Is there anything specific that I may have unintentionally done to require this? Or is there anything I can do to identify the cause?

For reference, my project is built in C# with Unity 2017.3.1f1.

2. tomerpeledNG

tomerpeledNG

I'm encountering the same issue

3. shochet

shochet

This just showed up yesterday afternoon for our project - but I don't believe we made any code or build changes. We have never used location services (though sometimes I need to chase them out of plugins).
    Maybe something Apple just started detecting/enforcing wrong?
    Unity 5.6.5f1
    xcode 9.2
    Is there a bug filed? If not I can create one.

MoeBull likes this.
  4. shochet

shochet

5. itarradellas

itarradellas

Same problem here, just yesterday we were starting to see this... without any change in our location services.

6. AbeGellis

AbeGellis

Good to know it's not something I broke then. Sounds like it's unrelated to the branch I switched to.

I haven't filed one yet, please do and link it here.

7. jdeuce

jdeuce

I added FireBase Analytics to my project yesterday and got the same thing, thought it was related. Interesting.

8. shochet

shochet

9. jtokash

jtokash

Seems to be fixed now. My binaries are not being rejected anymore.

10. ktoshiiio

ktoshiiio

I had the same problem but I tried to upload ipa to iTunesconnect again.
    I've received success email from apple. Yeah seems like it's been fixed now.
    But my TestFlight couldn't connect to iTunesConnect instead..

11. liortal

liortal

I also encountered this yesterday. solved it by actually adding those fields to the info.plist - should i remove them? what do you think would be the best option? (in case this was actually resolved from Apple's end)

12. BinaryBanana

BinaryBanana

I got it today on the latest ARCore 1.2 and ARKit 1.5 app. It wasn't asking for it before and the code didn't change so much.

13. cdytoby

cdytoby

Same here, it was not there before when we submit our apps, but we got this message yesterday.

What happened?

14. dcdemars

dcdemars

I just starting seeing this yesterday. I submitted two different iOS apps built with Unity for TestFlight. App Store Connect accepted the binaries but sent me an email for each app flagging this problem. The version of Unity I am using is 2018.2.5f1.

15. unity_2iM-Z6ouvzLZoQ

unity_2iM-Z6ouvzLZoQ

I encountered the same problem today.
    I found requestWhenInUseAuthorization in iPhone_Sensors.mm in iOS build folder.
    Maybe, App Store Connect found this call and send issues to us.
    Is this safe that I comment out this call?

MoeBull likes this.
  16. MoeBull

MoeBull

I have the same issue and recently upgraded to 2018.2.5 but I can't confirm that it happened immediately after updating Unity.

17. MoeBull

MoeBull

iPhone_Sensors.mm has
    #import <CoreLocation/CoreLocation.h>
    but it's been there for builds that did not get the warning so I'm not sure what this new iTunesConnect warning is from

18. ChrisAlgoo

ChrisAlgoo

I'm running into this too.

19. sekari

sekari

I just updated a new build to testflight and ran into this issue. I believe Unity automatically adds Core Location library, therefore Apple requires a description as a new rule. I think we should add the description and move on.

20. sschilp

sschilp

Same issue here.
    Build is good on testflight but we receive the mail from apple as a 'warning' basically telling us to add the string.

Obviously i could add something to the plist file but i have no clue what to add as i am not actively using any location services or api's.

So yeah, if anyone has an idea what plugin or part of code is using that, I'd be interested.

21. tucom

tucom

I just add the Facebook SDK to my project, and I received this mail for the first time I push my build, so I think facebook SKD may be the issue in my case, I wonder if the facebook analytic is the reason? as I see, it's is enable when I active my facebook application.

22. MetaDOS

MetaDOS

Same to me although we don't need that permission and don't add any new change. Is there any way to check which line of code request this permission?

23. EdwinLyons

EdwinLyons

I'm also having this issue - noticed it after upgrading to Unity 2018.2.4 from 2018.1.5. As we need to submit soon - and don't have a good reason to have this permission, it's a fairly big issue for us.

24. nanagamesstudio

nanagamesstudio

I'm running into this too.

25. _Paulius

_Paulius

Mobile Developer Unity Technologies

Unity includes `CoreLocation/CoreLocation.h` in all cases when building an app for iOS, Apple previously did not require location usage description string if the location API was not actually used but it seems that this will change. Currently they only send warnings so this should not affect the actual submissions of apps made with Unity to the App Store until next year.

We'll have a fix for this (CoreLocation will only be included in the Xcode project when UnityEngine.LocationService is used) in Unity 2018.3 beta branch in the following weeks, it will be backported to other releases up to 2017.4 but I can't give an exact time estimate on when will that happen.

26. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

Well... since yesterday it's not an only warning anymore and Apple is rejecting binaries because of this.

27. _Paulius

_Paulius

@wagenheimer this is fixed in 2018.2.12f1 and 2017.4.13f1. But they did say this is only going to be a cause for rejection from spring 2019 previously. Could you share the message you got from Apple?

28. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

@PauliusP I received this just after I sent the Binary, and the Binary was rejected.

The message says Spring 2019, but the Binary is declined and I cannot submit for approval.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  29. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Do you mean that it is already fixed in 2018.2.12f1? I couldn't find a note in the changelog....

30. _Paulius

_Paulius

Seems that we forgot to add it to the 2018.2.12 release notes... But changes should have landed there.

@wagenheimer if for any reason you can't update to a newer Unity version which has the fix, it's relatively simple to patch the generated Xcode project to no longer use CoreLocation. You'd need to apply the attached diffs and also remove CoreLocation.framework from the project either manually or with https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/iOS.Xcode.PBXProject.RemoveFrameworkFromProject.html in a editor postprocessor script.

Attached Files:

31. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Is there a way out-of-the-box to apply the scripts in a postprocessor script?

32. EdwinLyons

EdwinLyons

@Hosnkobf Notice that your rejection message is referring to NSCalendarsUsageDescription. This is not the same as NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription that this thread is about.

This might be a new check added by Apple.

It might also require another fix from Unity.

Or it might be something specific to your project? Are you using the calendar (it seems unlikely!)

33. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Good point... not for me but for @wagenheimer

34. EdwinLyons

EdwinLyons

Good point - sorry for mixing you two up! :)

Hosnkobf likes this.
  35. sschilp

sschilp

So i updated to Unity 2018.2.14 yesterday. (I was using 2018.2.2 before)
    After the update my xcode builds are now failing with:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. Undefined symbols for architecture arm64
    2. Symbol: _OBJC_CLASS_$_CLLocationManager
    3. Referenced from: objc-class-ref in iPhone_Sensors.o
    4. ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
    Could anyone tell me if this is connected to that patch and how i can solve that problem?
    Side-note: I am doing automated command line builds which means that i can not just go into the xcode project and change settings before the xcode builds starts.
    If i need to change settings, i'd need to find a way to do that for every build automatically from command line.

36. _Paulius

_Paulius

@EdwinLyons thanks for pointing this out, I did not it notice as well. AFAIK NSCalendarsUsageDescription should only be required when using EventKit and we don't include it in Unity out of the box. @wagenheimer do you have any other plugins in your project that might require it?

@Hosnkobf unfortunately no. But you should be able to apply it by calling `patch` from an external process.

37. wana7262

wana7262

sorry for being noob, just started iOS development. can you please explain how can I patch Xcode project manually? what to do with those diffs files, any help will be appreciated.

38. liortal

liortal

do you want to patch it manually or via the API?
    For manual patching - just open the generated Xcode project and modify whatever you need.

39. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Where do we need to add those .txt files in xcode?

40. User340

User340

I am getting this warning from Apple, as others have stated. Does anyone know if using Input.location will cause this warning?

41. TigerFish89

TigerFish89

Hi, Thank you for your answer. But I have a question. My team project using unity version 5.6.3p2. So I follow your instruction that patched maully mm files using your diff files. And I tried to remove CoreLocation framework using RemoveFrameWorkFromProject. But it is not work. I checked xcode project path. Could you tell what am I miss? here is code.
    Code (CSharp):
    2.     [PostProcessBuild(102)]
    3.     public static void OnPostProcess(BuildTarget in_buildTarget, string in_buildPath)
    4.     {
    5. var proj_path = PBXProject.GetPBXProjectPath(in_buildPath);
    6.         var proj = new PBXProject();
    7.         proj.ReadFromFile(proj_path);
    9.         var target_name = PBXProject.GetUnityTargetName();
    10.         var target_guid = proj.TargetGuidByName(target_name);
    12.         proj.RemoveFrameworkFromProject(target_guid, "CoreLocation");
    13. }

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  42. arjenveenhuizen

arjenveenhuizen

Looks like you forgot to write your proj file at the end of your script:

Code (CSharp):
    1. proj.WriteToFile(projPath);

43. bfreitag

bfreitag

We are getting this as well, under Unity 2017.4.25f1. Did the fix accidentally get moved out?

44. nravibabu

nravibabu

Code (CSharp):
    1. //The extension of the filename must be ".framework".
    2. proj.RemoveFrameworkFromProject(target_guid, "CoreLocation.framework");
    3. proj.WriteToFile(proj_path);

45. datagreed

datagreed

I just got it in 2018.3 - I thought it has the patch?

46. Manumoi

Manumoi

just got it in with unity 2019.1.11f1 ... an almost similar build (just removed useless prefabs from a scene) got accepted by apple 2 days ago

47. mneko23

mneko23

was using 2018.3.4 didnt get the rejection now using 2018.4.5 and reciving emails

48. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Got a notification about this from Apple this morning on our newly submitted iOS build, using Unity 2019.2.17f1.

UPDATE: However, they completed processing the build for selection to submit for Review so I guess it was just a warning and we can proceed.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  49. optimise

optimise

Currently I'm using 2018.4.12 but I still have ITMS-90683: Missing Purpose String in Info.plist file should contain a NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription key with a user-facing purpose string. Is that engine bug again?

50. thestringer

thestringer

Unity 2019.2.16f1 and the same ITMS-90683 error any tips ?