Search Unity

Now im beginner to game dev. help me if u can. Thanks in advance.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by iDontQuit, Sep 24, 2015.

1. iDontQuit

iDontQuit

Hello everyone
    I am on the step towards making game. First of all i have some doubts so i need your help guys .

• what software i need to buy(for online android/ios game).Is there free software I can get?
    • how to register my company?
    • how to register my game ( i need to ensure that nobody is not allowed to copy my game or game ideas )
    • google play is the only place to market my game ?
    • what about the server config and price which is handle around 10K+ player each day(traffic rate per user is around 1-2kB per sec.

2. LargerEagle

LargerEagle

You may want to delete this post and move it to general discussion. This kinda post doesn't belong in Works in Progress.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If you don't want to quit, the first thing you want to do is figure out that wip forum isn't for questions like this. I moved it to getting started.

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Unity is free. So are the Android SDKs and XCode (though the latter requires a Mac). You will need a $99/year Apple Developer Connection membership to actually code-sign your iOS app. But of course you're getting way ahead of yourself here.
    Go to the secretary of state website for whatever state you live in. Or google it. But there's no rush on that; it can wait until you actually have something written.
    You can't. But most likely, nobody wants to anyway. (That's just the reality.)
    No, for Android there are other app stores, and of course iOS apps are sold through Apple's App Store.
    Yes, you'll need a server; you might look at RackSpace for example. However, it's unlikely that you'll actually have 10K+ players each day (<10 players is more likely). So definitely look for something scalable.

These are questions I would expect to see when your game is 90% finished. If you're still in the dreaming stage, then quit worrying about stuff like this and go write some code! Revisit these questions in a year or two when you have an actual product.

Kiwasi, Schneider21 and GarBenjamin like this.
  5. jhocking

jhocking

+1 for
    If you're a beginner to game development (as the title says) then these questions are putting the cart before the horse. Make a game first; you'll probably make several before you've learned enough to make one for sale.

GarBenjamin and JoeStrout like this.
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Nonsense. I sold my first game hard. Made a total of 22 cents. So it's totally possible to see your first game.

But on a serious note, the OP is way over scopes for a new dev. Think small and quick. Long and massive belong to the established AAAs.

jhocking likes this.
  7. orb

orb

The funny/sad thing about that is that it puts you in the top 10%.

Martin_H and Kiwasi like this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Okay, you caught me. It technically was the first original game I'd made. I'd built clones of flappy birds and space invaders before, that earned 6 cents between them.

9. orb

orb

Damn, you're probably in the top 5% of indies!

Kiwasi likes this.
  10. RharryR

RharryR

You should only post unity based questions here. This is not a forum for game development but a forum for unity development. Please remember this in the future.

11. starlock

starlock

I'm quite new to all this so forgive me if I'm being stupid, but I'm very surprised that discussing game development isn't allowed? The pinned threads in this "getting started" section seem to be about game development anyway. What do you mean by Unity development?

12. jhocking

jhocking

The pinned threads do talk about general game development (eg. the Extra Credits videos) but those general ideas are an umbrella that applies very much to learning Unity. Questions like "how to register my company?" are very specific and not at all about Unity. So it's not that general questions about game development aren't allowed here, but that you shouldn't ask questions that specifically have nothing to do with Unity.

13. RharryR

RharryR

Yes. Also +starlock when I say Unity Development I mean game development within the unity environment. When you asked about good game development software this was leading the topic away from unity. Thank you.

14. starlock

starlock

I see the point made now, thanks for clarifying :)

15. starlock

starlock

I'm not the OP, but when the OP comes back I'm sure this will be good info for them.

Thanks for the explanation though, and sorry for jumping in on the thread.