Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Now Available - Native Apple Silicon Editor Preview Builds

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by KevinWelton, Jun 8, 2021.

1. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@antonkudin and @vis2k, can you verify that the graphical corruptions you were seeing are resolved in 2021.2.0f1?

Thanks!

LeonhardP and embraceware like this.
  2. embraceware

embraceware

Regarding that first point - I had that issue with the versions that I installed outside of the Hub. Once I removed them and reinstalled using the Hub the Apple Silicon tag appeared correctly. It just doesn't seem to detect correctly if you install outside of the Hub.
    I'm installing it now to confirm if the graphical corruption is fixed. I'll know in about 15mins and will report back.

3. embraceware

embraceware

I just confirmed that the graphical corruption is fixed in 2021.2.0f1 - thanks! Previously it was an issue from Beta 13-16 on Apple Silicon.

LeonhardP and Tautvydas-Zilys like this.
  4. sakus

sakus

Previously I thought the x86 build worked just fine through Rosetta 2 and I was happy. Well, until I just now tried the native version since it popped up in my Unity Hub. Wow, this is sooooo much smoother I can hardly go back! Luckily my current main project seems to work fine (so far, knock on wood) despite it being an alpha release (edit. I since noticed there's actually an Apple silicon build that is not alpha, as well).

Nice job, happy to see you guys aren't abandoning your roots anytime soon!

*edit* actually I'm running into some UI update issues with 2021.2.0f1 Apple Silicon. For example, choosing a directory in the project view, it can take a while before the file contents appear. If right after clicking a directory I keep moving my mouse, the contents never get updated until after I stop moving the mouse (and even then there's a slight delay).

Also working on UI elements can be frustrating since any change (moving/resizing rect transforms, editing text content of tmpro objects etc) is not instant.

Moving through the 3D scene is blazing fast though and play mode runs flawlessly which are what I noticed very first. Entering/exiting play mode are also fast.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  5. HarutL

HarutL

I couldn't open my project with ARM version, and stayed in Intel version, updated from 2021.2.b11(Intel) to 2021.2.0f1(Intel) and can confirm that UI became laggy and slow as you said, so it's not ARM exclusive problem it's more like a problem with 2021.2.0f1 version in General.

sakus likes this.
  6. mark-shin

mark-shin

I installed 2021.2.f1 for apple silicon m1 (mac mini) with the new unity hub (3.0.0-beta.6).
    It exports the unity project to the android project well. But when I try to build the project on the Android Studio.
    It still throws some error messages below.
    It seems to have a problem with the NDK toolchain.

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Did you try installing NDK via the hub? I'll also ask somebody from Android team to troubleshoot you as I don't know why this could be happening.

8. bml

bml

environment:
    Unity 2021.2.0f1 Silicon macOS 12.0.1 Apple M1 Pro (installed via Hub, Hub says it's intel, but finder says Apple Silicon)

issue:
    Editor text field character delay.

steps:
    Create a new 3d URP project. Rename any asset in scene or assets folder. The character I type doesn't display until I type another character. For example, I clear the filename and type '1' - nothing shows up no matter how long I wait until I press another key such as '2', space, delete, or return. Only esc seems to immediately respond. If there is a character waiting to be displayed, delete will cause it to display, then delete works immediately. Arrow keys work return any buffered character, then works correctly. This happens at least 90% of the time. Typing speed doesn't matter.

Ideas?

9. sakus

sakus

Sounds like the same thing I ran into, the UI in general is acting weird/laggy/unresponsive/behind one key stroke/etc. This typing issue is also one I noticed later on as I kept using it.

I didn't try it myself but apparently it's an issue with 2021.2.0f1 in general as per a reply I got above, not just the Apple Silicon build.

10. mark-shin

mark-shin

I figured out the cause of the problem.
    When I install the 'Android Studio' INTEL version rather than the Apple silicon version. Building the project is fine.
    I think the NDK which is installed from UnityHub is only the Intel version, regardless of the version of Unity.

11. HarutL

HarutL

Can confirm all these problems happen with Intel version too, and it's annoying

12. elbows

elbows

I've been assuming that problem is this from the release notes known issues section:

• Recent Mac Metal editor change delayed frame updates by 1, affecting selection feedback, keyboard inout and undo/redo. (1375664)

bml likes this.
  13. patrickjarnfelt

patrickjarnfelt

I'm getting the typing error too. Anyone else getting straight up crashes when navigating the project view in 2021.2.0f1 (Silicon)?

14. Bobbiii

Bobbiii

mbp2021 is too thick. Does anyone knows how many times faster is m1pro then m1? Is 16G RAM enough for develop??

15. embraceware

embraceware

Script compile time is not much different because Unity just uses a single thread - so you're stuck with the single core performance which is basically the same between M1, M1 Pro and M1 Max.

If you're developing a 3D based game I would go with the M1 Pro or M1 Max to get the extra GPU performance - you'll see these improvements in the editor as well as running compiled builds, etc. Pro Motion is also a benefit if you'd like to visually test above 60 FPS.

16 GB RAM is okay if you're just using a code IDE + Unity. If you're using other apps in addition to those at the same time (Photoshop, Simulators, 3D modelling, etc) I would suggest 32 GB to safely be low on the memory pressure.

Regarding the M1 Pro vs M1 Max - Max is required if you want to go to 64 GB ram or if you want faster video encoding results (it has double the encoder/decoders).

To recap - I'd recommend the M1 Pro with 32GB RAM. There is a 8-core and 10-core CPU option - the 8 core has 2 defective cores disabled at a lower cost. Since Unity is just using a single core - there really isn't a justification for going with the 10 core, unless you have other intensive CPU apps that will use all of the cores.

Personally I selected the 14" M1 Max with 64GB RAM. Mainly because I'll be occasionally using Parallels with Windows 11 to test game builds for Windows and I also use iPhone Simulators at lot to test screen canvas areas, etc.

I hope that helps - I spent a week looking into it before order earlier today.

DavideDev, IndieFist and McGravity like this.
  16. RobertOne

RobertOne

Not that much faster in comparison to the higher price. Single core speed is exactly the same as m1. Light baking should be faster tho. Also the graphics department works way faster but it was already fast on the m1

17. Bobbiii

Bobbiii

Thank you very much. That helps me a lot

embraceware likes this.
  18. Bobbiii

Bobbiii

Thank you. I will go to the physical store to see the real object tomorrow. If the 14' is too thick to carry. I will chose the 13' mbp

19. adslitw

adslitw

Is this true? I'm sure I've read somewhere that script compilation is at least partly multi-threaded?

20. Bobbiii

Bobbiii

upload_2021-10-29_17-27-9.png
    In fect this is the main problem!

21. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

I would not recommend buying the 13" MBP now because I'm not sure if Apple will keep this model for long. Based on performance, features and price, it's too close to the Macbook Air, and it doesn't have the Pro processors they just released.

I have a feeling Apple will keep the base processors (e.g. M1) for non-pro models (Macbook Air, iMac, regular Mac Mini) and use the Pro processors for the Pro lineup (Macbook Pro, iMac Pro, possible Mac Mini Pro). Therefore, the 13" MBP would not fit into their lineup and they would stop selling it soon.

If you want performance and don't care about the extra room/weight, the Pros are a good choice. If you want super light/portable laptops, go for the Air. Does that make sense?

embraceware likes this.
  22. embraceware

embraceware

The thickness of the M1 MBP is basically the same as the new 14" MBP. They're both 0.61". The new model looks thicker because top and bottom are flat instead of curved. If you look at both at eye level you'll see that the top of the curve of the old matches the flat height of the new.

Also, if you're considering the M1 13" MBP, you should really just get the M1 MacBook Air maxed out with 16GB RAM instead. I've used the M1 13" MBP and M1 13" Air for the past year and performance is basically identical and the MacBook Air is the thinnest for portability. It also has physical function keys instead of the discontinued Touch Bar used on the 13" MBP.

23. elbows

elbows

I'd just add that some corners of the internet got carried away with quite how much GPU performance to expect. Which means that Max purchasers may not get as much GPU for their money as they were expecting, but also that the Pro might not stretch as far in the GPU department as some are hoping. Dont get me wrong, performance isn't bad at all and is excellent in some areas, but expectations still got a bit carried away in some quarters.

There are all sorts of mistakes I can make by trying to simplify advice on this front, but I'll do so anyway having tried Unity with both the original M1 and the Max. The oversimplified rule I would come up with so far is 'if you are targeting URP, even the original M1 may be enough. If you are targeting HDRP then you probably need to go all the way to the Max, and some graphics compromises may still be necessary'.

Also I love the low watts and low heat and lack of fans for various tasks, but dont expect silence from these new MacBook Pros if you are pushing the GPU hard for any length of time.

24. HarutL

HarutL

I'm using m1 mac mini with 8 GB RAM and 256GB storage (most basic one), and if you open Unity + IDE + Xcode + Browser with a lot of tabs, memory pressure increases and it's starts to work noticeably slower, otherwise 8GB is good enough for Unity + IDE (even for 3D games), 90% of the difference comes from Native VS Rosseta 2, so I would recommend M1Pro/ Max in case you really need that extra GPU performance.
    I'm making 3D games using URP and for now, even 8GB is ok, so yeah 16GB is enough for now and for future.
    Can't say anything about HDRP.
    Personally I would buy a Macbook Air with M1+16GB+1TB from used market, I just found one for 1300$ with apple care and warranty etc.. everyone is selling their Macbook airs to buy the new Pros and you can get really good deals on used market right now.

25. RobertOne

RobertOne

yes. its true, I've got a 8 core i9 big ass desktop and a surface laptop with a 4 core i7. both have a geekbench score of roughly 1500 and compile times are very much the same. the m1 got a 1700 score and is a tiny bit faster but not really noticeable tbh

26. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the update. We will investigate this internally.

27. tengland808

tengland808

Is there a reason why Unity Hub is showing as Intel under Activity monitor when I installed the Apple Silicon version?

upload_2021-10-29_15-30-6.png

28. embraceware

embraceware

There isn't an  Silicon version of the Unity Hub yet, just the Editor so far.

29. tengland808

tengland808

Ahh yes you're right sorry, the Unity Hub just allows you to install the ARM editor, tyty

30. xubaigame

xubaigame

Regarding 2021.2.0f1, there are two issues that greatly affect the user experience. The first is input delay. The effect of input cannot be displayed in real time, such as naming, adding components, etc., and the display will only be updated when the next input is required. Another problem is that when Rider is selected as the script editor, Rider cannot be automatically woken up when the script is opened in Unity. At present, I have reverted to the 2021.2.0b12 version, and the above two problems do not exist.

31. xubaigame

xubaigame

The second question about Rider, after I updated Rider from 2021.3EAP4 to 2021.3EAP6, it no longer happened. But the first problem really affects the use, and there is the same feedback in the above message, I hope it can be fixed as soon as possible. thank you very much.

32. IDK how useful it is for people, but maybe something.

33. IndieFist

IndieFist

I was returned my m1 mac mini for script compile time, because my main task in unity is scripting testing, scripting testing...etc so i do alot of times this i need a cpu faster with visual studio doing his job every time i modify the script
    When i was using my m1 mac mini, i comment a line, press save and wait 20 seconds ... is not a good idea to use for job

34. Atbit

Atbit

2021.2.0f1 for Apple Silicon installed from Unity Hub. Can't insert any numbers in fields of the Inspector properly. If I press 1, it writes 2, if 2 - 3 and etc. Also, you need to wait some secs for it. 2021.2.0b12 which were downloaded from this forum has no such problem

35. pKallv

pKallv

Found this:

36. adslitw

adslitw

@Tautvydas-Zilys I'm having a super weird bug where input in the Editor is delayed by one keypress. So for example I just started a new project to create a repro because input felt very wrong, and tried to create a new script. The first button press was ignored, the second button press created the character I pressed on the first button press, the third button press gave the second button press character, etc. So let's say I was trying to type "Test", it went like:

Button Pressed | Result
    T | ""
    e | "T"
    s | "e"
    t | "s"
    Delete | "t"

Very odd! I'm on Monterey 12.0.1, M1 Max, Unity 2021.2.0f1.

edit: things like scrolling up and down the hierarchy using the keyboard are also delayed by one keypress.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Protagonist likes this.
  37. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

These are known issues and we have a fix for them in the pipeline:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1374546/
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1375664/
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1374538/

We currently expect that the fix will become available in 2021.2.2f1.

Protagonist and adslitw like this.
  38. Wolfos

Wolfos

Can we get an explanation why a known bug like that made it into a release build? Are you going to be preventing this in the future?

If the editor is unusable, hold back the release. This isn't rocket science.

midsummer and aromana like this.
  39. cpkcpk

cpkcpk

Wish I'd read this thread before upgrading from beta to release version.. possibly the most infuriating bugs of all time

Going back to beta 12 for now, hope 2021.2.2f1 isn't too far away!

thylaxene and Deleted User like this.
  40. sameng

sameng

I do really appreciate the update,
    so we won't have to scan the patch notes with frustrated hopes that it'll be fixed in 2021.2.1.

I'll be waiting for 2021.2.2!

I really appreciate when devs on forum let us know when a specific fix will hit us.
    I'd love for this info to be on the Issue Tracker -- exactly which build version to expect the fix in.

41. pKallv

pKallv

I tried no go back to previous release but that was not possible so I am stuck with this VERY annoying bug. When will we get this release?

bml likes this.
  42. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

I just received my MacBook Pro ... and then I found this thread :eek:. What a downer. Looking very much forward to 2021.2.2f1.

aromana likes this.
  43. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's truly amazing to see Unity working 'smoothly' bringing 'unparalleled' performance on the M1 ... Oh .. sorry I was dreaming of the Keynote; reality is the complete opposite. I know you guys work hard on it; I'll second someone in the comments above : if it's not ready, just don't ship !

Wolfos, cecarlsen, bml and 2 others like this.
  44. aromana

aromana

This is insanely annoying... is a workaround available?

pKallv likes this.
  45. thylaxene

thylaxene

Yep f0 un-usable. Cannot believe this got through QA.

46. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Please keep it constructive, folks. Updates are coming pretty rapidly and the dev team is clearly working on it. Current status is Fix In Review.

47. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

48. bml

bml

This workaround didn't work for me.

49. sakus

sakus

Same. I'm working on an iOS game so I have the build target set as iOS. Changing the desktop build to use only OpenGL (I completely removed metal from the list) does ask me to restart the editor but it still says Metal in the title bar and the problems are there, I assume I would have to actually change the build target too for it to use those settings for the editor in addition to the target build or then I'm doing something wrong?

I seem to recall there being a separate Metal on/off setting just for the editor in the past but maybe that was when metal support in editor was still in development(?)

Oh well, I'm in a lucky position that I can just wait for the fix and work on other things meanwhile.

In any case, these bugs aside, I'm loving the native editor so kudos for that!

50. pKallv

pKallv

@Unity can you PLEASE give us an indication of when you will release next version to fix the keyboard problem?

...well, I was able to get my project running on the older versoin now.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021